Let't ge to the real issue here. WHERE is our effin offense??

Reaction score
I've heard this repeated, even by my own brothers. Although it's short-sighted to claim that Rodgers was just 'holding the ball too long.' Do you really think that was his problem, or just a symptom of the problem? Their defense played lights out and took away all of Rodger's throws. It's easy to say 'dump the ball' when you're sitting in the recliner, but if your back is inside blocking that's not possible. It's also not possible when the play design doesn't have a RB slipping off into the flats. Rodgers can only deal with the tools that he has in his possession. I'm not absolving him, but you have to look at how well the Seattle secondary blanketed Green Bay's receivers. When you have no where to throw, it looks like the QB is holding the ball too long.
I am not talking about dumping it off to a back or receiver, Throw it out of bounds or incomplete in bounds, don't take the hit! Short-sighted? LOL

L

Lunchboxer

Why dident they go to the No huddle more often?

When they did they made the hawks use a time out.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mainly the offensive line that is to blame. Rodgers for certain has not played well. But the only guy who can play well behind no offensive line is Roethlisberger because he's near-impossible to tackle. A big test will be this weekend, assuming the Packers' heads are in the game. If they struggle against New Orleans' nonexistent defense, then we might as well call off the season.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surprisingly! I also think (despite his questionable hand skills) that they should have him back there for every hail mary attempt. Obviously the Packers don't know how to correctly cover a hail Mary in the end-zone, bringing back memories to the loss to the Giants last year. Yes we got screwed but we could have avoided it entirely if someone just batted the ball off to the side-lines.

Finley is a tall man and could have out-jumped Tate without question for that ball.

Jennings DID out-jump him. Also, you don't bat the ball. You never know who's over there to catch it.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers looks a little off, Finley is dropping everything, and the O line looks terrible. I believe they will be able to work through it but there are a number of issues MM has the work through.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers ain't doing so good.
Scab refs making bad calls and blowing games.
Coincidence? I don't think so.
Bring back the regular refs and let's see how high caliber teams such as the Packers and all the others in the league will do.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I got an idea, how about real refs or not the Packers o line stops making Rodgers out to be a rare piece of steak being thrown out to a hungry pack of wolves every game.

MLB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote=" And what is with Rodgers?

I'm sorry, guys, but A-Rod has seemed a bit different -- not the usual "Super QB" that we all became accustomed to having -- ever since last year's KC Chiefs game.

Am I off on this? Any ideas?

(And this is coming from a Chicagoan .... and a "live-and-die-with-ThePack" guy since 1957!)

... not looking for an argument, just concerned.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O C'mon!
Our offense was ruling the second half.
It was a whole other team.
And they would have won if it hadn't been for the scab refs. blown call in the end zone.
Blame the refs. Not the Pack.
They did well until the bogus hit on the QB, the BS pass interference that didn't happen and the int.
So Packers O did good. (2nd half at least) and scab refs suck crud.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling this will sort itself out sooner or later. We all knew going into the year we weren't going to duplicate last year's numbers. Didn't really add anybody on offense other than Benson either. But these guys will warm up a bit and look better at the end of the year (with a better run game and defense)

We are also seeing Tom Brady and Drew Brees get off to cold starts this year also. Not really sure of the reason yet. But a little more balance couldn't hurt us.

11b2p

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a big thing people are not taking into consideration. This offense is designed to be precision, crisp routes, separation, timing, etc. With the replacement refs the defenders have been significantly more physical every play and that is preventing solid route running and separation as last season afforded. Get ready for a vast difference now that the regular officials are back and the rules will come back in play. Our guys will get open more often and make bigger plays. Jennings being out a lot has not helped matchup wise either...
Just saying...

ulfootball21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that is affecting our offense is the LACK OF a running threat. Benson doesnt strike fear in anyone. Hes not a breakway threat, hes not going to provide us anything that will make the opposing D to change their gameplan. Cedric just is not getting it done. If we do not find a serious running game this season and any other we play without a good runningback will be over as well. Aaron is a great QB but if the other team knows they dont have to even consider our running game then the schemes will be totally focused on stopping our passing game. We dont need a great RB just one the other teams need to be aware of.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that is affecting our offense is the LACK OF a running threat. Benson doesnt strike fear in anyone. Hes not a breakway threat, hes not going to provide us anything that will make the opposing D to change their gameplan. Cedric just is not getting it done. If we do not find a serious running game this season and any other we play without a good runningback will be over as well. Aaron is a great QB but if the other team knows they dont have to even consider our running game then the schemes will be totally focused on stopping our passing game. We dont need a great RB just one the other teams need to be aware of.

And replace him with who? Marshawn Lynch? Benson's been the best RB we've seen since at least Grant's breakout year. Maybe better than that. We'll see as the season wears on. It's easy to say "This guy isn't working. We need to replace him." Easily said, not easily done. Benson has been very solid, which is more than I can say about any other Packers RB in quite some time.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense would have put up at least 5 TDs if you can get around putting Harrell in the game Sunday. But even so you have to note that the Saints defense is absolutely horrible. This was a picnic.
They can't stop anyone especially on the road. Rodgers INT was pure carelessness. Benson is a solid veteran back. But he cannot break one. We need a complimentary back like Starks or Grant who when the hole is there can go for 30 or 40 or even to the house.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense would have put up at least 5 TDs if you can get around putting Harrell in the game Sunday. But even so you have to note that the Saints defense is absolutely horrible. This was a picnic.
They can't stop anyone especially on the road. Rodgers INT was pure carelessness. Benson is a solid veteran back. But he cannot break one. We need a complimentary back like Starks or Grant who when the hole is there can go for 30 or 40 or even to the house.

Sorry to pounce on the RB issue again, but opposing teams don't fear Starks or Grant "breaking one" any more than Benson. Benson gets positive yardage almost every touch, has great vision, gets rolling downhill instantly, gets better as the game goes on, can catch out of the backfield and the slot, picks up the blitz, and excels in single back sets (which has been extremely important this year since neither of our OT's has been able to pass block and need TE help). Sorry fellas, these breakaway threat RBs are few and far between. And with the multiple TE and WR sets we run, we can't afford to have a Chris Johnson back there adding nothing but a breakaway threat while being a blitz liability and getting negative yardage on 2 out of 3 carries.

H

HardRightEdge

There is a big thing people are not taking into consideration. This offense is designed to be precision, crisp routes, separation, timing, etc. With the replacement refs the defenders have been significantly more physical every play and that is preventing solid route running and separation as last season afforded. Get ready for a vast difference now that the regular officials are back and the rules will come back in play. Our guys will get open more often and make bigger plays. Jennings being out a lot has not helped matchup wise either...
Just saying...

I agree with the nub of that post...I've observed the same on several occasions here.

The SF and SEA secondaries don't know the meaning of the 5 yard rule. They push beyond the envelope. A lot of it is ticky-tacky shoving and pushing downfield...but enough to throw off timing. Our receivers got beat physically in those games by not getting off those guys and getting some separation.

Aikman reported that Bennett had a heart-to-heart with the receiving corp this past week about getting off defenders. The way Aikman reported it, Bennett's message was delivered with the volume turned up. As it should be.

However, I would not be so sure it's a function of the replacement refs. With the regular refs SEA held Bradford to 16 of 30 and Sanchez was even more dreadful than his usual iffy self against SF.

The 5-yard chuck rule was instituted in 1978, but has has been enforced differently over time. In 2004, the league decided to enforce the rule more strictly, one of the key measures in recent years to increase scoring. After last season's flag football displays across the league, one wonders if the refs (replacement or otherwise) have been counseled to give more leeway to defenders. If so, teams like SEA and SF benefit; teams like the Packers (without the big physical DBs or WRs, excepting Nelson) are at a disadvantage in the sense they can't do what they're accustomed to doing.

If this is the new normal, our guys will need to start scrapping.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You don't WANT the offense to have to carry the team every single damn week like last season.

But, things picked up this week for teams like the Packers/Pats/Broncos......of course playing crappier D's does help but still they picked up.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't think we aquired benson to be that break away back, we got him because he is a hard nosed, push the pile, down hill runner. He has good vision and can hit the hole and makes decent cuts. I would rather have him right now over starks or green. I think he provides a legit threat that helps open up the pass. Remember he is still new here and still learning and coordinating with his blockers. I bet that once we get past the half way point of the season, he will be our go to guy. Also, he can catch well out of the back field, he is a very valuable asset. Not to mention he is a tough guy and takes a hit well.

ulfootball21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys that are dismissing the lack a big running threat are kidding yourself. You say Cedric is doing solid job compared to Grant and Starks? Thats nonsense. Benson is avg 3.6 yds carry with a long of 11YARDS!!!!!!!!! Did you read that? 11 freaking yards is his longest run. Grant avg 4.4 yds carry and had 8 runs over 20 yards with 11 rush TD in 09. 3.6 yds per carry is the lowest total a starting RB has had in Green Bay in 10 years. Benson IS NOT getting it done and we need someone more threatening for our O to be as effective as it could be. There is no question about it

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have what it takes to be a top 5 offensive line easily. The problem is they have been inconsistent and a lot of that traces its roots to the O-Line. Once the O-Line starts to play with more consistency (this will come with time and experience) the rest of the offense will follow suit.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You guys that are dismissing the lack a big running threat are kidding yourself. You say Cedric is doing solid job compared to Grant and Starks? Thats nonsense. Benson is avg 3.6 yds carry with a long of 11YARDS!!!!!!!!! Did you read that? 11 freaking yards is his longest run. Grant avg 4.4 yds carry and had 8 runs over 20 yards with 11 rush TD in 09. 3.6 yds per carry is the lowest total a starting RB has had in Green Bay in 10 years. Benson IS NOT getting it done and we need someone more threatening for our O to be as effective as it could be. There is no question about it

And it is clear that you DONT understand that he is NEW to our system. How much time did he have to learn an all new system, a new extensive playbook, have time to learn and interact with his linemen???? What he has shown us so far is: He does not go down by a shoe lace tackle like starks does, he actually has runners vision to hit the hole, he can power through a pile of guys and push the pile for extra yardage. People like you want an instant "all star" and do not grasp just how complicated anew system is. GIVE THE GUY MORE TIME. From what i have seen so far and what little knowledge he has about our team, is a guy with a good run ability. He had 3 straight 1000+ yard seasons with the bengals.......hmmm.....has starks or grant given us 3 seasons with production like that? Hell no. He will also ease pressure off Arod and give us the ability to milk the clock.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I wonder how many people are watching the same games I am when commenting on Benson. It's not like there are huge holes all over the line for Benson. Watch him, he is so much better at finding those holes than Starks or Green. I love Starks to death and think he'll be a good back he doesn't have the vision of Benson. Ced just finds those holes and powers through them. I'll take that all day - consistency in positive yardage - over a big run once in awhile. The big run moves the chains once, the other moves the chains consistently resulting in sustained drives.
Also, you might call Rodgers INT pure carelessness but I wouldn't. We're so used to seeing these pinpoint precision passes from him that we can't accept a ball that was just a bit underthrown? That was a tough pass to make but more often than not he makes it. Not careless, he knew where he wanted to go but just a bit flat on the trajectory.
And can't anybody see the offense is getting better? Benson is bringing balance and consistency, Packers are taking the stuff defenses are giving them and sustaining drives.
I love me the highlight stuff but against a really good D in the playoffs you better be able to move the ball like they seem to be doing now.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I believe the offense is "finding itself" so far. They clearly didn't trust or didn't want to try to run the ball on the 9ers. Benson didn't know the O, Starks was injured, Green isn't an every down back. That made us one dimensional against one of the better run D's in the league. Against the Bears, while we don't often put up big numbers the same can be said that we were looking to find a balance on O and Benson wasn't healthy.
BTW this was all said in pressers before the season began by Rodgers and MM that they were going to feature the run more so I think much of their early season preparation went into that style of offense.
In the Seattle game I think very much had to do with the fact that the replacement refs were allowing a very physical style of play from Seattle's really big secondary. Couple that with not having Jennings out there and the Packers not getting the run game going until the second half and you could see adjustments needed to be made. Still, against a very good D they probably put more points up after the INT being called back.
I think the Packers offense was fine against a very poor Saints D. They should probably have scored when Rodgers got injured, at least a field goal and I don't see anything wrong with 31 points on O.

Members online

Latest posts