Let's talk defense

Lambeau Leaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No-one can deny we're becoming a serious force against the run. Number 2 in the league by my reckoning. And that's on top of our ball-hogging backfield. So Dom Capers has made a big impact on the D. Especially now he's learned to love the blitz.

But if we miss the playoffs and Captain Kirk gets the boot then it's very possible Dom will go too. So next year we could be back as a 4-3.

In which case we'll still need Aaron Kampman and I fear the organisation are preparing to let him go. Too many anonymous briefings about his inability to adapt to OLB.

Or am I extrapolating too far?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No-one can deny we're becoming a serious force against the run. Number 2 in the league by my reckoning. And that's on top of our ball-hogging backfield. So Dom Capers has made a big impact on the D. Especially now he's learned to love the blitz.

But if we miss the playoffs and Captain Kirk gets the boot then it's very possible Dom will go too. So next year we could be back as a 4-3.

In which case we'll still need Aaron Kampman and I fear the organisation are preparing to let him go. Too many anonymous briefings about his inability to adapt to OLB.

Or am I extrapolating too far?

At this point, I wouldn't call you wrong at all. I think everybody's analysis at this point holds equal weight.

I just don't see Mac being let go, or TT for that matter. We'll have to wait for the season to conclude, but Green Bay is sitting pretty for certainly a winning season and probably a wild card, based on an easy schedule. I realize Tampa was a serious blunder, but is it reasonable to conclude more of those games are on tap? I'm not sure. Green Bay is highly inconsistent, but they still have a dangerous offense and when you can score easily in the NFL, that's very important.

OP
OP
L

Lambeau Leaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That inconsistency is the big problem. It's an on-field manifestation of maladministration.

My issue on this thread though is still Kampman. Yes, he's not adapted to his new role but it's a big dislocation for him and I don't want him pushed out for what may be a temporary shift. He's one of the best defensive linemen in the league and I just know he'll come back to haunt us, sacking Rodgers repeatedly as a Buc or a Bronco. Or even a Bear! :0

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT & MM will still be here next year. Even if the team craps out the rest of this season.

My bet is that AK will be gone. What the Packers will get out of him I dont know.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question Kampman is gone, even if we offer him a contract. He would rather play DE for less money somewhere else.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pending a disaster of epic proportions, McCarthy and Thompson will both be back next season. $18 Million between the two is too much to eat to simply let them go at the end of this season.

OP
OP
L

Lambeau Leaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't want to labour this point but letting Kampman walk would be a big mistake. Could you imagine Osi Umenyiora or Mario Williams being let go? And AK's up there in that league.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we stick with the 3-4. Seems like a good direction to go in for the future. Since I think the 3-4 is good, I don't see how keeping Kampman does any good and would try to trade him for a high draft pick in the off-season. Kampman just doesn't seem to have the same spark he used to when he was a DE in the 4-3.

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are probably right about MM being around next year even if we miss the playoffs, but I would not be suprised if MM gets the boot and Capers gets the HC nod. What about Charlie Weis as the OC? Would his play calling fit this team abd the players? I think GB should stay with the 3-4, but a LOLB is a need even with the play of Jones.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we stick with the 3-4. Seems like a good direction to go in for the future. Since I think the 3-4 is good, I don't see how keeping Kampman does any good and would try to trade him for a high draft pick in the off-season. Kampman just doesn't seem to have the same spark he used to when he was a DE in the 4-3.
Agree.
You guys are probably right about MM being around next year even if we miss the playoffs, but I would not be suprised if MM gets the boot and Capers gets the HC nod. What about Charlie Weis as the OC? Would his play calling fit this team abd the players? I think GB should stay with the 3-4, but a LOLB is a need even with the play of Jones.
Also agree on the Capers HC. But he sucked when he was the HC of other teams.

And Weiss, I don't know about OC, he was good at NE, but he plain sucks as a HC. He reminds me A LOT of MM, but worse.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman will be gone, he'll be a free agent, shoulda traded him last off season and got a true LOLB for our 3-4, now we get nothin for him... I love the guy as a player, just not in the 3-4

doubledouble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Points mean prizes!!!

A good defense will just "paper over the cracks". We need to score points to win games. Any future thoughts need to be with the offense.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Points mean prizes!!!

A good defense will just "paper over the cracks". We need to score points to win games. Any future thoughts need to be with the offense.

Thats why I think we should be trying to play Brad Jones at LB as much as we can, because with all the contracts coming due next year, and the needs on offense, we can not address that position at all next year. Kampman will not be in a Packer uniform next year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Pending a disaster of epic proportions, McCarthy and Thompson will both be back next season. $18 Million between the two is too much to eat to simply let them go at the end of this season.

Link to the amount their buyout is?

Then check to see how much Sherman got even though he just got an extension

They have plenty of money in reserves to do it,and I think the BOD wouldnt mind one bit to do it.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody think that some that want the current administration relieved of its duties might be secretly hoping for the Packers to falter down the stretch so changes are more likely to be made???

I always wonder about this type of thing. Personally, if Green Bay was sitting at 3-6, I might fall victim to that, but I strongly believe TT and Mac live to fight another year, possibly longer. Remember - the BOD has a history of keeping lousy coaches longer than it should.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they are staying, but to say the BOD wont use the buy out clause doesnt sit well with me..

JerseyAl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the Packer Report, there is no buyout clause for head coaches or GMs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts