1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Let's get Al Harris back in green and gold for the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Thor52, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Thor52

Thor52 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey everyone new member but I've been a Packer fan for over 15 years. I've started a group page on Facebook in hopes of getting the attention of someone at the Packers front office so that they'll resign Al Harris to a one day contract for the Super Bowl. If you would like to join the movement please join the following group on Facebook, "Bring Al Harris Back To Green Bay".

I've already written an email to Al Harris in hopes that he or his agent or publicist will go forward with the idea.

GO! PACK GO!!

2. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    This would be nice, but who gives up the roster spot for him?

3. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Ummm....he is a Dolphin currently if I am not mistaken. He still gets a ring and can go watch from a box.

4. Thor52

Thor52 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Graham Harrell (QB#3)

Nope they cut him.

5. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Could someone try and get me a one day contract too?

• Like Like x 1
  6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    This just can't happen. Not only he's in contract, but we'd have to give up a roster spot for him. Which won't happen.

But I think he gets a ring anyway, for being a part of the team this season. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    I think he was put on IR!

8. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +286
    We won't and shouldn't add Harris to the roster but if they want to make him an "Honorary Member" or something along those lines I would support it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Maybe it's like baseball, if you play a certain % of the season you get a ring.

Yeah, which poor sap on the team now do they cut and say "Sorry, we're signing Al Harris for a day and giving him your ring". Assuming we won that is.

Not gonna happen. Sorry.

10. Chop0Suey

Chop0Suey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    Unfortunately, this just isn't the way the NFL works...no guy on the team deserves to lose their roster spot for a guy that isn't even capable of playing right now.

Although I do believe they can still give him a ring since he was a part of this Super Bowl team earlier in the season, even if he didn't play a snap.

11. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Is this supposed to be like the Deuce McCalister thing the Saints did last year?

Dolphins released Harris at the end of DEC if I'm not mistaken. Only way this would happen is if Patrick Lee, Frank Zombo, or Erik Walden were IR'ed. No way someone gets released.

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
  13. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    It's a silly idea.
    The Packers had their reasons for cutting him.
    I understand that your a big fan of Al, but I doubt that what you want won't happen.
    Why? Because if the Packers personal cave in to your request and pressure then other fans of other former Packers players will start making the same demands.
    Before you know it Brett Favre would be the starter, again. And we cannot let that happen.
    (I'm exaggerating a bit with the Favre example, but you get the idea.)

14. Thor52

Thor52 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    He's been cut. There's an article on nationalfootballpost.com and bleacherreport. I'd post links but don't have privileges yet.

15. Eis Bowl

Eis Bowl Touchdown Artist

Ratings:
    +18
    Hopefully he will be at the game somehow and would be able to get a ring. It happens, but it's still a shame he couldn't be part of the team this year. But then of course how many other Packers that were injured this year won't be able to play in the big game?

16. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    Al is a class act and I would totally support this as long as he doesn't push anyone off the roster. If anything, just invite him to the Super Bowl and give him a ring IF we win, I think that's fair :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. cakoski

cakoski Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I love Al Harris. He is a class act and was a great player for Packers. And one day we should give him a one day contract to retire as a Packer. But right not should not be our concern. Right now the only concern and only thing the team should be concentrating on is beating the Steelers

18. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +149
    It's almost like asking TT to re-add
    [​IMG]

19. Thor52

Thor52 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Not even close. BF had hissy fit and went to the Vikequeens.Al Harris bought an entire page in the paper thanking all the fans and the organization. Totally different. One guy understood Ted made a business decision and the other acted like a scorned woman.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Guys, being put on Injured Reserve doesn't mean you're cut from the team. He's still under contract with the Dolphins, plain and simple. Even if they released him, we'd have to wait for free agency to open up before signing him.

Put another way, while I agree with the sentiment of giving Al Harris (And Aaron Kampman too, BTW) an honorary ring, there is no way either of them could be signed by Green Bay in any capacity.

Edit: I was wrong, and the OP was right. Harris was cut by the Dolphins.

http://www.totalpackers.com/2010/12/31/dolphins-cut-al-harris/

Either way, I wouldn't sign him to a contract because you'd have to cut someone else. That's not fair to the players who have competed for us all year this year. He's also not practice squad eligible, so there's no going that route.

I did learn that the team can vote on certain players to receive an honorary ring though. I'm most certain Harris will get one, should we go on to win.

21. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Welcome to the forum! I'd love very much to have Harris back (wish he never left) but as others have posted, that would mean somebody would have to give up a spot. He still gets a ring, I'm happy with that.

What I'd like to see happen is if he decides he is going to retire, I'd like the Packers to then sign him to a one day contract so he could retire as a Packer. I don't know if somebody would still have to be cut for that scenario to happen, I just think it would be a nice tribute to Harris who has given so much to this team.

Harris is another player, along with Woodson and Driver who I would be so happy for if we won the SB.

22. liljohn5115

liljohn5115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I miss the day's when Harris and McKenzie ran around back there and looked like twins with that hair. I'd definitely like to see Harris get a ring, he deserves it.

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,097
    He would get one based on being on the team this season. No need to vote.

24. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    Go Packers

25. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977

Kampman?

come on now, your not serious?

If so might as well give one to Longwell too