Let's get Al Harris back in green and gold for the Super Bowl

Thor52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey everyone new member but I've been a Packer fan for over 15 years. I've started a group page on Facebook in hopes of getting the attention of someone at the Packers front office so that they'll resign Al Harris to a one day contract for the Super Bowl. If you would like to join the movement please join the following group on Facebook, "Bring Al Harris Back To Green Bay".

I've already written an email to Al Harris in hopes that he or his agent or publicist will go forward with the idea.

GO! PACK GO!!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just can't happen. Not only he's in contract, but we'd have to give up a roster spot for him. Which won't happen.

But I think he gets a ring anyway, for being a part of the team this season. Maybe I'm wrong.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't and shouldn't add Harris to the roster but if they want to make him an "Honorary Member" or something along those lines I would support it.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Maybe it's like baseball, if you play a certain % of the season you get a ring.

Yeah, which poor sap on the team now do they cut and say "Sorry, we're signing Al Harris for a day and giving him your ring". Assuming we won that is.

Not gonna happen. Sorry.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this just isn't the way the NFL works...no guy on the team deserves to lose their roster spot for a guy that isn't even capable of playing right now.

Although I do believe they can still give him a ring since he was a part of this Super Bowl team earlier in the season, even if he didn't play a snap.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this supposed to be like the Deuce McCalister thing the Saints did last year?

Dolphins released Harris at the end of DEC if I'm not mistaken. Only way this would happen is if Patrick Lee, Frank Zombo, or Erik Walden were IR'ed. No way someone gets released.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a silly idea.
The Packers had their reasons for cutting him.
I understand that your a big fan of Al, but I doubt that what you want won't happen.
Why? Because if the Packers personal cave in to your request and pressure then other fans of other former Packers players will start making the same demands.
Before you know it Brett Favre would be the starter, again. And we cannot let that happen.
(I'm exaggerating a bit with the Favre example, but you get the idea.)

OP
OP
T

Thor52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just can't happen. Not only he's in contract, but we'd have to give up a roster spot for him. Which won't happen.

But I think he gets a ring anyway, for being a part of the team this season. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think he was put on IR!

He's been cut. There's an article on nationalfootballpost.com and bleacherreport. I'd post links but don't have privileges yet.

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
Hopefully he will be at the game somehow and would be able to get a ring. It happens, but it's still a shame he couldn't be part of the team this year. But then of course how many other Packers that were injured this year won't be able to play in the big game?

cakoski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Al Harris. He is a class act and was a great player for Packers. And one day we should give him a one day contract to retire as a Packer. But right not should not be our concern. Right now the only concern and only thing the team should be concentrating on is beating the Steelers

OP
OP
T

Thor52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's almost like asking TT to re-add

Not even close. BF had hissy fit and went to the Vikequeens.Al Harris bought an entire page in the paper thanking all the fans and the organization. Totally different. One guy understood Ted made a business decision and the other acted like a scorned woman.

Attachments

• alharris.jpg
    alharris.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 123

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, being put on Injured Reserve doesn't mean you're cut from the team. He's still under contract with the Dolphins, plain and simple. Even if they released him, we'd have to wait for free agency to open up before signing him.

Put another way, while I agree with the sentiment of giving Al Harris (And Aaron Kampman too, BTW) an honorary ring, there is no way either of them could be signed by Green Bay in any capacity.

Edit: I was wrong, and the OP was right. Harris was cut by the Dolphins.

http://www.totalpackers.com/2010/12/31/dolphins-cut-al-harris/

Either way, I wouldn't sign him to a contract because you'd have to cut someone else. That's not fair to the players who have competed for us all year this year. He's also not practice squad eligible, so there's no going that route.

I did learn that the team can vote on certain players to receive an honorary ring though. I'm most certain Harris will get one, should we go on to win.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'd love very much to have Harris back (wish he never left) but as others have posted, that would mean somebody would have to give up a spot. He still gets a ring, I'm happy with that.

What I'd like to see happen is if he decides he is going to retire, I'd like the Packers to then sign him to a one day contract so he could retire as a Packer. I don't know if somebody would still have to be cut for that scenario to happen, I just think it would be a nice tribute to Harris who has given so much to this team.

Harris is another player, along with Woodson and Driver who I would be so happy for if we won the SB.

liljohn5115

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'd love very much to have Harris back (wish he never left) but as others have posted, that would mean somebody would have to give up a spot. He still gets a ring, I'm happy with that.

What I'd like to see happen is if he decides he is going to retire, I'd like the Packers to then sign him to a one day contract so he could retire as a Packer. I don't know if somebody would still have to be cut for that scenario to happen, I just think it would be a nice tribute to Harris who has given so much to this team.

Harris is another player, along with Woodson and Driver who I would be so happy for if we won the SB.

I miss the day's when Harris and McKenzie ran around back there and looked like twins with that hair. I'd definitely like to see Harris get a ring, he deserves it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did learn that the team can vote on certain players to receive an honorary ring though. I'm most certain Harris will get one, should we go on to win.

He would get one based on being on the team this season. No need to vote.

Members online

Latest posts