Letroy Guion expected to sign 1 yr deal with Pack

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

Good, Now lets re-sign him and Raji.
He's still likely to be suspended. He was in possession of 13 ozs. of *****. He likely will be found in violation of the substance abuse policy and/or personal conduct policy.

No contest with a $5,000 fine sounds to me like he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor possession charge.

Guys have been suspended for testing positive for marijuana without ever being arrested. Von Miller was suspended for toking in a state where it's actually legal to do so!

I would also be careful about how this stuff is reported. There have been grossly contradictory reports on the legal status of this matter. We have to wait for the league to weigh in, and Thompson won't be signing the guy until the extent of the liability (term of suspension) is identified.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He's still likely to be suspended. He was in possession of 13 ozs. of *****. He likely will be found in violation of the substance abuse policy and/or personal conduct policy.

No contest with a $5,000 fine sounds to me like he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor possession charge.

Guys have been suspended for testing positive for marijuana without ever being arrested. Von Miller was suspended for toking in a state where it's actually legal to do so!

I would also be careful about how this stuff is reported. There have been grossly contradictory reports on the legal status of this matter. We have to wait for the league to weigh in, and Thompson won't be signing the guy until the extent of the liability (term of suspension) is identified.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Rule is test-positive 1st time you go into their rehab program (or similar) if test positive after that it triggers the 4 game...But Miller went to 6 games for switching his ****

So can Guion's case be compared to Miller's?

H

HardRightEdge

Correct me if I am wrong...

Rule is test-positive 1st time you go into their rehab program (or similar) if test positive after that it triggers the 4 game...But Miller went to 6 games for switching his ****

So can Guion's case be compared to Miller's?
Yes, that's the basic outline of the policy.

I brought up the Miller case simply to illustrate that what's legal or illegal in the law is independent of what the league considers acceptable or unacceptable.

So far as we know, Guion has not tested positive for anything. Unless a guy is already in the league's remediation program, the testing is only done in a narrow window...mandatory OTAs and/or training camp, I can't recall which.

It's tightly scheduled, not random, for guys who have not been previously caught. Outside the testing window guys can use anything and everything they like, including during the regular season, providing they're not already in the remediation program.

Further, first offenders are on "double secret probation" (a term I'm borrowing from "Animal House" ;)). Policy says neither the league nor the team is to disclose to anybody when a first time offender enters the program. The player could talk about it, but there's clearly no incentive for him to do so. Nobody knows who or how many are or have been in the program...if they get caught once but not twice nobody knows about it. But I digress.

One consideration: how do we know Guion wasn't already a one-time offender since that status is kept secret?

Regardless of all of the above, an overriding consideration has nothing to do with the drug policy at all...it's the "conduct detrimental to the league" provision which is as broad as it sounds. Decisions on such matters are made by the league office, but they're subject to appeal.

Somehow, the idea of the league letting a guy go scott free without a suspension after driving around with 13 oz. of marijuana, and thereby not considered to be engaging in conduct detrimental, strains credulity . That kinda suggests more than one-time use, wouldn't you say? It would undermine the drug enforcement policy which is paper thin as it is. He's got to get some punishment to have any of these policies make sense.

On a semi-related matter, Demovsky reports that his vehicle and money are still in impound. He has to go to civil court to argue for getting his stuff back. No mention of the gun; since it's Florida, they may have handed it back with a bow on it. ;) So far, "no contest" in this version of Southern justice appears to mean "supplementary monetary punishment to be determined."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do think the commish will not allow guion to go free.

But I still think he will be a packer

H

HardRightEdge

I do think the commish will not allow guion to go free.

But I still think he will be a packer
If it's a 4 game deal, I'd not be surprised to see him signed. 8 games? That's iffy. Either way the team is down a player, a possible starter at NT or DE, and somebody has to play in the interim.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's a 4 game deal, I'd not be surprised to see him signed. 8 games? That's iffy. Either way the team is down a player, a possible starter at NT or DE, and somebody has to play in the interim.

On the contrary, I think a longer suspension might be useful...

It's the day before camp breaks. Guion is among the 5 best linemen. Not only is he going to make the 53, he'll be active every week he's healthy.

Then we've got this rookie DL we drafted in the 5th. Huge, fast, great instincts, but technique is beyond terrible. Looks like a sure practice squad player...until in the 4th week, he gets 5 sacks, a forced fumble, and 3 other TFL. There's no way this guy clears wavers anymore. He's raw as hell but someone will sign him. Let's name him Yeff Yanis, for the purpose of our story.

He's the future, but honestly, he's the 8th best D-lineman. We normally carry 6, sometimes stretch for 7. But 8?

Hell, turns out poor Guion is suspended. We can stretch to 7 DL + Guion. Wait until some one ends up getting hurt, put them on IR, and bring Guion back week 8. Everyone is happy.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure this was the strategy last year and why Guion was on the PUP until we abolutely needed him when Raji went down: He was going to be the week 7 cavalry with fresh legs.

H

HardRightEdge

It's the day before camp breaks. Guion is among the 5 best linemen. Not only is he going to make the 53, he'll be active every week he's healthy.

Then we've got this rookie DL we drafted in the 5th. Huge, fast, great instincts, but technique is beyond terrible. Looks like a sure practice squad player...until in the 4th week, he gets 5 sacks, a forced fumble, and 3 other TFL. There's no way this guy clears wavers anymore. He's raw as hell but someone will sign him. Let's name him Yeff Yanis, for the purpose of our story.

He's the future, but honestly, he's the 8th best D-lineman. We normally carry 6, sometimes stretch for 7. But 8?

Hell, turns out poor Guion is suspended. We can stretch to 7 DL + Guion. Wait until some one ends up getting hurt, put them on IR, and bring Guion back week 8. Everyone is happy.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure this was the strategy last year and why Guion was on the PUP until we abolutely needed him when Raji went down: He was going to be the week 7 cavalry with fresh legs.
I assume this is some kind of bad joke.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is what one might call a "pipe dream".

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume this is some kind of bad joke.

At least half a joke, if not more.

But being able to play games with the roster is handy.

Wouldn't you like a guy who went through camp to lear, gets 4-8 weeks of rest and recovery, then gets a week or two of exemption to get back up to snuff, and then comes in with fresh legs compared to the rest of the league?

Wouldn't you like to keep the 54th guy on your roster for those 4-8 weeks to see how he shakes out?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have my best players the whole season. However, not having him for a while isn't so bad and can be used as just another tool. It would also help to make him cheaper or at least lower his cap number.

H

HardRightEdge

At least half a joke, if not more.

But being able to play games with the roster is handy.

Wouldn't you like a guy who went through camp to lear, gets 4-8 weeks of rest and recovery, then gets a week or two of exemption to get back up to snuff, and then comes in with fresh legs compared to the rest of the league?

Wouldn't you like to keep the 54th guy on your roster for those 4-8 weeks to see how he shakes out?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have my best players the whole season. However, not having him for a while isn't so bad and can be used as just another tool. It would also help to make him cheaper or at least lower his cap number.
Stashing a guy on PUP, or hoping for a suspension, is silly when there's nobody on the roster that can be counted on to take his place.

Last season Guion was going to be a backup/rotational player behind Raji. Now he would be the best NT and probably the second best DE on the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

On a tangential matter, I spoke with a friend in Florida today who works as a volunteer arbitrator in small claims cases and has knowledge of the workings of the Florida civil justice system.

He indicated that the "no contest" plea and small fine is not an indication of the charge being pleaded to, nor is it an indication of a good chance of recovery in the civil forfeiture case.

For example, if you're caught with illegal game in your truck, Florida law permits confiscating the gun, the vehicle and anything else in the hunters possession. The fine may be relatively small, but getting the truck back is not likely.

In this version of Southern justice, if you're poor with nothing to offer you have a good chance of ending up in jail for some offense while if you have something substantial to offer by way of a "fine" in civil forfeiture, the DA is more than happy to swap if for jail time.

I guess it's a little better than Chinese justice where you can pay somebody to serve your time.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stashing a guy on PUP, or hoping for a suspension, is silly when there's nobody on the roster that can be counted on to take his place.

This year hoping for it is silly. Working the situation you're dealt to the best of you advantage is another.

If the interest in him is weak enough, we could sign him without a bonus. If he's expendable by the time his suspension is up, cut him. Total cost=$0.00

I don't think his potential (though likely) suspension impacts our signing of him at all. Like you said, ". . . there's nobody on the roster that can be counted on to take his place." Having Guion later is better than not having him at all.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion ranked 65th out of 81 defensive tackles in the league last year, by PFF. Now he's visiting Seattle. Let them have him. I'd rather spend money on Fairly or the 'skins Cofield; or resign Raji. Regardless, TT will pick up a couple defensive linemen in the draft.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Guion ranked 65th out of 81 defensive tackles in the league last year, by PFF. Now he's visiting Seattle. Let them have him. I'd rather spend money on Fairly or the 'skins Cofield; or resign Raji. Regardless, TT will pick up a couple defensive linemen in the draft.

Guion was an average player for the Packers last season and I would like to have him back for cheap in 2015. With him possibly being suspended for several games the Packers have to go into the season with someone else being the starter though.

Fairley has signed with the Rams and Cofield was one of the worst NT in football last season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Does PFF separate 3-4 tackles who mostly have to eat up blockers from 4-3 tackles who have to rush the passer and make plays?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Does PFF separate 3-4 tackles who mostly have to eat up blockers from 4-3 tackles who have to rush the passer and make plays?

No, they don´t. But I worked it out just for you. ;)

PFF ranked Guion 15th out of 19 NT playing at least 25% of the team´s snaps at the position in a 3-4 defense in 2014.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gui0n back would be nice, because it's some depth with a serviceable player. I'm not going to be heartbroken if he's not here either. Let's face it, our Dline last year, besides Daniels, was made up of just guys. That's the good news, we can replace them with more guys. It's not like we're facing the replacement of Suh and Fairley.

I'm sure we could do worse than Guion, he was ok, but there's also a lot of guys that can play at that level or above.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Gui0n back would be nice, because it's some depth with a serviceable player. I'm not going to be heartbroken if he's not here either. Let's face it, our Dline last year, besides Daniels, was made up of just guys. That's the good news, we can replace them with more guys. It's not like we're facing the replacement of Suh and Fairley.

I'm sure we could do worse than Guion, he was ok, but there's also a lot of guys that can play at that level or above.

While I agree with that assumption as of right now we don´t have a NT on the roster as talented as Guion. And while I expect Thompson to bring Raji and/or Guion back Letroy´s visit with the Seahawks proves there´s no guarantee.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all well and good, but to me it's really a shrug of the shoulders kind of thing.
In all fairness, there was little if any in the way of options for Thompson and the Packers.
Probably the best option was Wilfork, but from what I've seen, with all the personal connections he has with the Texans, he was either going back to the Patriots or signing with the Texans.
Sometimes you just don't have a lot of options- if any.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts