Letroy Guion expected to sign 1 yr deal with Pack

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Was he terrible because he had a hamstring strain that later turned into a complete tear? MM said he was fast for a big boy and just needed to learn the system. If he did the smart thing in his offseason, he studied Dom Caper's defense a little better. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

I can't remember hearing anything about him being injured or missing practices because of a hamstring injury before he was put on IR.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t have any question Raji played his way out of the 2-man DL in the nickel with his subpar play, so the position change doesn’t explain his drop off IMO. Playing out the last year of his rookie deal in the 2013 should have provided plenty of motivation for him, yet as a few have mentioned he again had a bad season finishing that season with 17 total tackles having started all 16 games. Did the one-year deal he signed and switch back to NT before this season re-energize him? That’s as hard for me to tell as is his lack of motivation for the 2013 season. McCarthy had this to say after he tore his biceps:
Raji suffered a significant tear in his right biceps Friday night against Oakland, will undergo surgery soon and was ruled out for the season by coach Mike McCarthy. "He was in the best shape and having the best camp of his career," McCarthy said Sunday.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ce-injured-bj-raji-b99336322z1-272519441.html

With Guion’s situation up in the air along with Thompson’s less than stellar record drafting DL, I would really like to see another stout DL acquired in free agency. Maybe Raji comes back motivated in great shape, but I think they would be very foolish to assume that considering his history.

As for Thornton, McGinn wrote this after the third preseason game:
Based strictly on the past four weeks, defensive end Khyri Thornton and outside linebacker Carl Bradford probably don't warrant berths on the Green Bay Packers' final 53-man roster. General manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy have a week to decide if it's time to cut bait and just move on. Thornton, the third-round draft choice from Southern Mississippi, has played more snaps (80) than anyone in the defensive front seven. Based on three exhibition games, he can't play now and it's possible he never will be able to play.
The story goes on to say after the first week of practice McCarthy used the term, “quick twitch” to describe Thornton as Thompson did after the draft. But
To this point, Thornton hasn't played hard, hasn't gotten off blocks and hasn't bull-rushed or edge-rushed with any proficiency. He doesn't seem to be an aggressive player, and without that, no defensive lineman can survive.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ting-opportunities-b99336278z1-272452181.html

The article talks about Bradford’s struggles too, but the position change to ILB gives some hope he can contribute. Of course I’m not writing off a player going into his second TC, but no such position change is in store for Thornton so he’s going to have to wake the hell up and give 100% effort.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 3rd round pick being cut in his first training camp is a pretty big statement of failure on the part of the GM and the player. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of an example. I believe Brian Brohm (2nd round pick) was cut in his second training camp.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Search of all-time players list at Packers.com comes up with no Brian Brohm.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting. Search of all-time players list at Packers.com comes up with no Brian Brohm.

That's probably because he never played a single down in a regular season or playoff game with the Packers.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A 3rd round pick being cut in his first training camp is a pretty big statement of failure on the part of the GM and the player. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of an example. I believe Brian Brohm (2nd round pick) was cut in his second training camp.
Brian Brohm trivia as a member of the Bills: "In the 2nd quarter of the same game, Brohm threw an 8 yard pass to Terrell Owens, giving the wideout his 1,000th career reception." from his wikipedia page. Also from there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Brown
Brown was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the third round of the 1993 NFL Draft (79th overall pick), but was waived during the final roster cutdowns on August 30, 1993 in his first training camp due to his weight.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[Brown was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the third round of the 1993 NFL Draft (79th overall pick), but was waived during the final roster cutdowns on August 30, 1993 in his first training camp due to his weight.

If Thorton turns into Brown, I and everyone else will be ecstatic :)

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeahhhh, but cut for being fat is a little different than being cut for having no drive or ability.

H

HardRightEdge

There are a LOT of things that occur in nature that are not "safe" . Lots of plants out there will kill you if ingested.
Yeah, and what about heavy metals, radium, arsenic, most of the periodic table? Hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes? That bat sh*t ex-girlfriend?

H

HardRightEdge

Letroy Guion's past may offer some context on present:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/291045971.html
"That gun was recently, legally purchased by Letroy, unfired and no ammunition," Katz told the website. "Letroy has been cashing a number of his paychecks and was in Florida providing financial assistance to his family, and there's evidence to support that."

So, we're to believe that Guion had 3 game checks lying around that he finally got around to cashing and that he's never heard of banks or checking accounts? Katz better be sure of what he's saying because the dates and locations where those checks were cashed can be easily determined. Let's just say I remain skeptical.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Florida law says possession of a firearm, even if properly registered, in conjunction with a conviction for "trafficking in cannabis" is itself a felony subject to a minimum sentence of 10 years in prison.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0775/Sections/0775.087.html

While you're right about this someone has to be in possession of at least 25 pounds of cannabis to be charged with a felony for trafficking in cannabis. So it doesn't apply for Guion.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0800-0899/0893/Sections/0893.135.html

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone makes mistakes. It just so happens that this particular mistake was of the felony variety so that may hurt him but it was a mistake nonetheless. From what I can see he has been a pretty stand-up dude thus far so that may buy him a second chance. The part that really hurts him in my eyes was his attitude and behavior towards the officers. I think if he had handled himself in a more professional manner he would be looked at in a different light but when you are deemed "extremely uncooperative and hostile" by the police you are walking on very thin ice. It just blows my mind how these professional athletes continue to make these stupid decisions when they have so much to lose. I think a lot of it comes from wanting to maintain their street cred and for the life of me I just can't understand why you would risk all that you have worked for to be deemed "one of the crew" still. This is not directly pointed at LG but I wonder how many of these players "boys" were up at the crack of dawn working out with them. I wonder how many of them put in countless hours at the gym and on the field with their boys. I can understand not wanting to turn your back on your friends and community but for crying our loud don't you think you could do more/help more with a big fat bank account and a stand up reputation? I know the NFL has programs that help guys make the transition into being a millionaire but the player himself has to want to make a change and live his life in a positive, meaningful way. Somehow I turned this into a social commentary but I can't help myself. It frustrates me to no end to see guys **** away their career over some green. You have a short shelf life so focus and grind with all your might and stack up bread that can make an impact on others for generations to come. Stay away from those that have no interest in your well being rather your bank account. These guys have been given a special gift and a unique platform from which they can make unthinkable amounts of money to average joes like me. I work 60+ hours a week every week and grind like hell to make it into the 6 figure club. These guys can make that kind of chili in one game and I just wish more of them would take their craft more seriously and realize the amazing opportunity they have been given. I hope LT can turn things around and if he takes the right steps and shows contrition maybe TT will give him another shot. I feel he could be a great presence in the middle of that D-Line but only if he takes the steps necessary to show that this sort of nonsense will be a thing of the past and a one-time deal. I am praying for you LT and here's to you getting back on the straight and narrow. God Speed bro and as always G P G!!!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was charged with a felony for possessing marijuana not trafficking it.
What's the threshold in ounces for felony possession of weed in Florida? Maybe Letroy can get it plead down to a misdemeanor? Looks like he was buying a stash of weed for a couple of weeks of solid partying with his buddies. To me it doesn't look like much of an off-season workout program. With the munchies he was going to get from the ****** Letroy was sure to put on some pounds.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12+ ounces is a lot of weed. That's not for personal use or probably even an amount to share with friends and family. $190k is also a lot of cash. Then there's the gun, that's REALLY bad. I think pot laws nationally are totally stupid, but I'll be suprised if this guy plays a down in the NFL next year. Is it fair? Probably not. Josh Gordon smoked some pot, smoked some more pot, because he smoked pot he got put on a program where he got suspended for a year because he drank a couple beers and a couple mixed drinks. Did he drive drunk and put people's lives at risk? Nope (colts owner did). Did anyone wind up dead in his limo? Nope.... Did he hit his GF? Nope.... He had a couple beers and a couple rum and cokes. The stuff our society gets hung up on is totally STUPID and the NFL is a reflection of that society. Any stadium on any given Sunday is surrounded by people drinking, drinks are sold during games, advertising for drinks are sold during games, the league has an official beer sponsor, yet a player is suspended for drinking, drinking that is only detected by urine testing (I.e. No police/legal episode)..... And you think a guy with distributor weight of weed a couple hundred grand and a gun is going to get to suit up next year? I'll put my money on..... No

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

12+ ounces is a lot of weed. That's not for personal use or probably even an amount to share with friends and family. $190k is also a lot of cash. Then there's the gun, that's REALLY bad. I think pot laws nationally are totally stupid, but I'll be suprised if this guy plays a down in the NFL next year. Is it fair? Probably not. Josh Gordon smoked some pot, smoked some more pot, because he smoked pot he got put on a program where he got suspended for a year because he drank a couple beers and a couple mixed drinks. Did he drive drunk and put people's lives at risk? Nope (colts owner did). Did anyone wind up dead in his limo? Nope.... Did he hit his GF? Nope.... He had a couple beers and a couple rum and cokes. The stuff our society gets hung up on is totally STUPID and the NFL is a reflection of that society. Any stadium on any given Sunday is surrounded by people drinking, drinks are sold during games, advertising for drinks are sold during games, the league has an official beer sponsor, yet a player is suspended for drinking, drinking that is only detected by urine testing (I.e. No police/legal episode)..... And you think a guy with distributor weight of weed a couple hundred grand and a gun is going to get to suit up next year? I'll put my money on..... No

Gordon was arrested for DWI in July 2014, that's why he wasn't allowed to drink alcohol under the substance abuse policy. In addition he was a repeat offender, having just bewn suspended for the first 10 games of the 2014 season.

This is Guion's first offense, I expect the NFL to suspend him for two games.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gordon was arrested for DWI in July 2014, that's why he wasn't allowed to drink alcohol under the substance abuse policy. In addition he was a repeat offender, having just bewn suspended for the first 10 games of the 2014 season.

This is Guion's first offense, I expect the NFL to suspend him for two games.
For dealer weight in possession of a handgun? I'm not totally familiar with the conduct policy under the new CBA but I'm thinking the fact that he had dealer weight and possession of a firearm will untie Roger's hands quite a bit

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

For dealer weight in possession of a handgun? I'm not totally familiar with the conduct policy under the new CBA but I'm thinking the fact that he had dealer weight and possession of a firearm will untie Roger's hands quite a bit

Once again, Guion will be charged with a felony for possessing, not trafficking, drugs. He was allowed to carry the registered firearm (which according to reports was put away in a box and has never been used), he was charged with a felony regarding the firearm because he possessed more than 20 grams of cannabis.

If he's able to prove he cashed in the Packers paychecks the money is a non issue.

H

HardRightEdge

Once again, Guion will be charged with a felony for possessing, not trafficking, drugs. He was allowed to carry the registered firearm (which according to reports was put away in a box and has never been used), he was charged with a felony regarding the firearm because he possessed more than 20 grams of cannabis.

If he's able to prove he cashed in the Packers paychecks the money is a non issue.
Based our prior exchanges, I thought we established that possession of 20+ grams of Mary Jane is itself a felony, whereas a properly registered gun is a felony when in conjunction with a "trafficking" offense, which in this case would be 25 lbs. of cannabis.

Consequently, the gun possession shouldn't matter assuming it was registered.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Based our prior exchanges, I thought we established that possession of 20+ grams of Mary Jane is itself a felony, whereas a properly registered gun is a felony when in conjunction with a "trafficking" offense, which in this case would be 25 lbs. of cannabis.

Consequently, the gun possession shouldn't matter assuming it was registered.

I'm not a law expert but the way I understand it Guion was charged with a felony because of having a gun with him while possessing marijuana. But this felony doesn't result in a minimum sentence of 10 years in jail because he wasn't trafficking drugs.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to review, a LOT of weed, a LOT of money, ( I've read that law enforcement has very very wide latitude to seize cash suspected of being the fruits of drug trade, I'd put his chances of reclaiming that cash at.... Slim). So a lot of money and a lot of weed and a gun.... Yes if Leroy was getting popped for SMOKING weed I think he might get a slap on the wrist per the CBA.... But I think Roger has pretty freestyle latitude when an NFL'r gets popped with a village worth of weed, a bunch of cash and a gun.... Plus reportedly not a good rapport with law enforcement when they stopped him. I would also speculate (pure speculation) that he did not habitually cash a game check for "cash" and the $190k would be a couple/3,4 (?) game checks after withholding SS federal tax agents cut state tax etc. He's going to need a good lawyer and a GREAT accountant to not see the Starkes PD put that money in their Christmas Party fund.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being charged with a felony and being a felon are two very different things

Not when the evidence supporting the charge is black and white. What are you suggesting, that someone planted the drugs in his vehicle?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts