Let The Finger Pointing Begin

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first bad taste rolled into my mouth when McCarthy challenged whether or not Jacksonville had 12 men on the field. Yeah it got us five yards, but it was 1st and 10. We weren't talking about a critical 3rd and 3 situation.

Next it was a series of offsides and neutral zone infractions. Our O-line would point their fingers at the defense, Rodgers too, making sure that the other team got penalized.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The last was when Shields or Dix (??) timed a safety/corner blitz but had to stop at the line because Bortles tried to change protections/audible when the clock ran out. Absolutely the refs were slow on blowing the whistle, but there was a Packers player jumping up and down like someone had just taken away their birthday toy. Kind of shameless.

I have no doubt that this is pervasive throughout the league. However, the behavior and effort taken to win the game on technicalities versus x's & o's gets to me. There are higher roads to victory. I was very entertained by yesterday's game overall but would have really liked not to see the little kid antics.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda got a bad feeling about Rodgers and the hard count against Seattle last year. As a team, they've become far too reliant on it. Frankly, we would not have won the Seattle game last year without it. Once teams caught onto it after a few games, that trick wasn't in our bag anymore to offset the incompetence on offense.

These WR's had better figure out how to get some separation or it will be another long year on offense.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with any of the points mentioned in the OP, tbh!

If it's mandatory to do some finger pointing even after a win, I'd do the pointing towards the secondary, where some soul searching needs to be done.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of finger pointing, it appears that we have a few early candidates vying to replace Bush, Kuhn, Brad Jones, Hawk & Masthay as the bogieman this year.

Offense - Lane Taylor, Davante Adams, MM
Defense - Rookie D- Linemen, Peppers, Capers
Specials - Shrum

It's good to have options :)

Reaction score
I did not get to watch the entire game yet but it seemed that Rollins was getting picked on a lot. Was dissapointed with those big plays he was giving up being that he has looked so good. I believe it will get fixed and he just had some bad plays I'm sure he did decent throughout the game obviously the interception he was a big part of.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about the hard count. It's like going on 2 instead of one. Green instead of red, Omaha instead if red bozo, the silent count snapped x amount of seconds after the Mike lb'er was identified and any other hundreds of ways offenses try and keep defenses honest and not jumping snap counts.

I didn't mind the challenge either. It was easy, and 1st and 5 is nicer than 1st and 10. So it leaves you with 1 more, you still have one more. Get it right and you get a third. Besides, it put the refs on notice they missed it, it should have been a flag and free play.

I'm not a big fan of all the finger pointing these days though.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was Clinton-Dix pointing out that the play clock had expired. He did look silly, but I don't have a problem with him bringing it to the officials attention.

I agree that the O-linemen pointing has gotten old and even the announcer yesterday pointed out that the offense shouldn't get the call if the offensive lineman doesn't react immediately.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And lets not forget the WRs pantomime throwing the flag for PI every time they don't make a catch.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And lets not forget the WRs pantomime throwing the flag for PI every time they don't make a catch.

That sorta stuff is indicative of a culture of arrogance built by MM. The receivers are ballerinas and expect that should be good enough, and it's not their fault there wasn't separation. I still remember being disgusted after the Giants playoff game when Clay and whoever else said in the interviews after that they "beat themselves" and things like that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I get what the OP is trying to say but.......in anything you do in life, don't you want to take advantage of even the small details that possibly end up becoming a big detail? Taking a few extra seconds to line up that putt in golf. Taking one seemingly meaningless small deduction on your tax return that happens to knock you into a lower tax bracket. Stepping out of the batters box to slow the pitcher down.

I think the Packers playing by the rules and taking advantage of a twitchy defense accomplishes a few very important things. One it slows down the rush a bit by making the defense actually wait until the ball is snapped, every second counts. Two, it keeps the opposing team from substituting at key moments when we want to keep their defense on the field, as is. As Jrock pointed out, it was a contributing factor in the win last year against Seattle. So we want to trade that win and potential "free plays" that a defense basically hands us when they aren't playing smart?

In yesterdays game, I think the refs messed up on the offsides penalty called when one of their players jumped in and out of the neutral zone and it was an eternity before Taylor stood up and pointed it out. That call won't always go the Packers way, it just happened to yesterday. But I don't think playing by the rules and making sure the other team is too is considered shameless. I would call it smart intelligent football and taking care of any and all details that could possibly win you a game. These guys aren't in a school yard playing a friendly pick-up game with their classmates, so any advantage that they can get is fine by me, as long as its within the rules.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think there is a big difference though between players begging like little kids for a call to be made and what Rodgers and the Packers do in taking advantage of a guy jumping off sides or a team getting caught with 12 men on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sorta stuff is indicative of a culture of arrogance built by MM. The receivers are ballerinas and expect that should be good enough, and it's not their fault there wasn't separation. I still remember being disgusted after the Giants playoff game when Clay and whoever else said in the interviews after that they "beat themselves" and things like that.
Do you watch any other games in college or the NFL? I promise this isn't anything built by MM, unless of course he has built pretty much every receiver playing today

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you watch any other games in college or the NFL? I promise this isn't anything built by MM, unless of course he has built pretty much every receiver playing today

I can't recall reading post game interviews by players on other teams that consistently say things like I referenced after handily being outplayed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's been going on for years. How many times have you seen teams line up on 4th down in an attempt to get the other team to jump off sides and end up just calling a timeout and punting. If the defense is stupid enough to take the penalty, mission accomplished.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sorta stuff is indicative of a culture of arrogance built by MM

If you think our WR's doing that are an isolated incident only pertaining to Green Bay, then I want what you're smoking. So if by culture, you mean league wide, then sure. I'll buy that.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think our WR's doing that are an isolated incident only pertaining to Green Bay, then I want what you're smoking. So if by culture, you mean league wide, then sure. I'll buy that.

Did you read any of the rest of my post, or are you only picking out one sentence?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That sorta stuff is indicative of a culture of arrogance built by MM. .

I can't recall reading post game interviews by players on other teams that consistently say things like I referenced after handily being outplayed.

Seriously? You just put that on MM and the Packers? You have never seen any other WR in pee wee, H.S., college, arena, NFL, etc get up and start asking for a penalty? Really?

As far as the after game rants.....pretty much the same comment. Really? Just Packer players?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you read any of the rest of my post, or are you only picking out one sentence?

I read the entire thing. What our WR's do, is what every WR in the NFL does when they think a penalty should be against whoever is covering them. ALL WR's are divas. Its a league wide phenomenon, its not isolated to Green Bay Wisconsin.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at most any WR in the NFL. Every time they don't catch a ball, they throw fits. Its always "someone elses" fault when they didn't catch it. That is the CULTURE of today's WR's in America. Hell, it even happens in College and at the High School level.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? You just put that on MM and the Packers? You have never seen any other WR in pee wee, H.S., college, arena, NFL, etc get up and start asking for a penalty? Really?

As far as the after game rants.....pretty much the same comment. Really? Just Packer players?

Yes, really. Just Packers players.

I have not CONSISTENTLY seen players from other teams, when clearly beaten, say things like "we beat ourselves," as opposed to "we came up a play short" or "they made the plays we needed to make." I HAVE seen players on other teams make the latter two comments. I have CONSISTENTLY and REPEATEDLY seen this arrogant attitude from Packers players since 2011. I read a lot of post game articles and I don't know that I can recall any other instances of players on other teams giving such head up their *** responses. It goes beyond a simple lack of class and sportsmanship, it's delusional thinking at it's worst.

EDIT: I remember after the Giants playoff loss, one of NY's players read or saw that clay or one of those guys gave the "we beat ourselves" comment. He was appalled. He said "Really? You got beat by 17 points, and that's your excuse?" He was absolutely right and it was embarrassing to see a Packers player say something that stupid publicly. I CAN'T EVER ONCE RECALL ANOTHER PLAYER ON ANOTHER TEAM SAYING SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT.

And the WR bit I'm referring to is a lot more than simply begging for calls. The WR's inability to get separation has gone on for quite a while. Multiple articles have been written about it. There's been tension between AR and the WR's about it on and off for years. But despite nearly every analyst and every fan being able to watch the game and see that WR's can't get open, the WR's have shown a CONSISTENT defiance of this fact in interviews. They refuse to own their poor performance, or own the fact that they don't play as well as their billing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, really. Just Packers players.

You my friend really need to watch/listen to other teams or other sports for that matter. You may want to think its isolated to GB players since 2011 because it fits your story of your perceived image of MM being arrogant, but you are living in a bubble.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
EDIT: I remember after the Giants playoff loss, one of NY's players read or saw that clay or one of those guys gave the "we beat ourselves" comment. He was appalled. He said "Really? You got beat by 17 points, and that's your excuse?" He was absolutely right and it was embarrassing to see a Packers player say something that stupid publicly. I CAN'T EVER ONCE RECALL ANOTHER PLAYER ON ANOTHER TEAM SAYING SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/video?vid=379034691968

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000550292/article/cardinals-tyrann-mathieu-we-beat-ourselves

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/12/roddy-white-plays-the-we-beat-ourselves-card/

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/foot...beat-anybody-until-we-stop-beating-ourselves/

That was just 4 of a long long series of "we beat ourselves" articles.......like I said.....you must not pay attention to anything but what Packers say or do? Which is fine, but why are you making such a grossly incorrect statement of fact?

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com/florida/video?vid=379034691968

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000550292/article/cardinals-tyrann-mathieu-we-beat-ourselves

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/12/roddy-white-plays-the-we-beat-ourselves-card/

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/foot...beat-anybody-until-we-stop-beating-ourselves/

That was just 4 of a long long series of "we beat ourselves" articles.......like I said.....you must not pay attention to anything but what Packers say or do? Which is fine, but why are you making such a grossly incorrect statement of fact?

Your NFL references(I don't discuss college sports, it's irrelevant on this board) actually serve to prove my point. One was a two point loss, the other a 4 point loss. You can point to your own mistake in the case of 1 score loss. You can't say it when you lose by 17 points. It's completely different.

Clearly, you have no handle on the concept of context, and might want to examine your own bubble.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts