Let Greg Jennings walk...

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this sounds a little harsh. But in light of what Calvin Johnson just made, if Jennings is looking for a monster deal, or even anything over $10million a season, I say let him walk. We have a lot of other core players becoming free agents like Raji, Lang, Mathews, Rogers, Finely again, in the next couple of seasons and we can't afford everyone. On top of that we have Jordy Nelson who will want paying again soon if he has another great season.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is a great receiver and a great character guy. We need as many guys like that as we can. It's not all about being 6'5 and 230lbs and great speed and hands, it's about being a leader and for younger players to see what being a professional is about.

OP
OP
M

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the guy. But he will be 30 when the 2013 season starts. And i think we have the depth at WR to let him walk. I'd prefer to sacrifice him over BJ or Mathews, an area where depth is very limited. Either way there will be some tough decisions to be made in the next few seasons, as much as you would like, you can't keep everybody.

ARod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see him stay on as long Driver has. He's a good player with a great attitude and leadership skills. It's not only about production on the field.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the Packers' front office. I don't know how they do it but they get these receivers to sign extraordinarily cap-friendly deals. Greg Jennings is on a 4-yr 27m deal he signed in 2009. Hell, Laurent Robinson got a 5yr 32m from the Jags and he had one good season as Dallas' No. 3.

The Packers will have to make some future sacrifices (or just restructure contracts like everybody else). But don't forget that C-Wood, D-Driver, C-Clifton, and R-Pickett aren't getting any younger. Nick Collins could save a few m if he retires. They could also cut A.J. Hawk if he doesn't perform better than 2011.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw the title and was like wtf, but you are right, if he asks for that kind of money he needs to find it somewhere else.

Its not like TT cant find another WR

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Cap will most likely go up with new TV deal. there will be room to give Greg his due, Packer for life. Thing about the NFL and the Cap is you can't keep all your superstars. Just look around the league. A-Rod is going to command a HUGE payday, so will Clay. BJ will get his Payday. Everyone else is negotiable. Draft and Develop.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Not only is Jennings a great character guy and leader on this offense, but he's the most reliable and versatile receiver we have and have had in a long time. I'd like to see him retire a packer.

But I do think that it would be nice if we had a true #1. A big, tall vertical deep threat. We have a lot of guys on the shorter side.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No receiver will get Calvin Johnson money for a long time... Nobody in the league, including the Redskins, will offer Jennings $130+M with $60M guaranteed.

The should/will be able to keep Jennings for much, much less than Johnson.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ways you can tell it's the off season # 248:
Fans are so bored that they will even dare to speculate, and not wait till anything is confirmed, about players leaving because they think the player will want more money.
We could wait and see what happens but what fun would that be?
What are we gonna talk about instead?
Packers license plates?
Or the free collectible Aaron Rodgers cup you get with every fill up?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if their is a bigger waste of money in the nfl than spending huge money on a WR.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calivin Johnson is an exception.
He is Megatron.

Jennings is well worth what receivers like:
Desean Jackson
Laurent Robinson
Marques Colston
Miles Austin
Vincent Jackson
Hakeem Nicks
Dwayne Bowe

OP
OP
M

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the point is that IF Jordy has another real decent season, the question arises who do you invest the money in? By todays market we could be looking at something like 4 years $55 Million. You can't possibly invest that kind of cash in both Jordy and Greg. And i'd prefer to stick that cash into a then 27 year old wide receiver compared to soon to be 30 year old one.

Members online

Latest posts