Let Finley become a Free Agent

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being out of football for 9 months and not having the benefit of OTAs and minicamps CERTAINLY contributed.

I agree... I just don't agree that the lack of OTA's equals an almost 13% drop rate.

Not going to happen. Brady has three legitimate downfield targets: Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski. Deion Branch is mediocre at best and Chad 85 is washed-up. Rodgers has five or six downfield targets and he distributes the ball to keep the defense guessing where he's going next. You want Finley to have crazy stupid stats like that ******* Gronkowski? Cut Jones, Driver and Cobb and then he probably will.

I didn't legitimately mean become Gronkowski. I realize the Packers have more weapons. What I meant is that I want to see Finley take over games from time-to-time. I would like to see him become the uncoverable TE he could be.

So what you're saying is that practice is a meaningless waste of time for professional athletes? Knowledge does not equal performance. I know how to shoot a bow, but it takes me a good 2 weeks of practice prior to bow season to consistently put my arrows in a nice 4" group from 30 yards. Just because I start out each year with 10-12" groups doesn't mean I forgot HOW to shoot my bow.

I'm not saying practice is meaningless... You're completely taking what I am saying the wrong way (not to mention being very defensive). Again, I'm just saying that a guy who's been catching footballs for 10+ years doesn't forget how to catch a football. Practice makes perfect.

Regarding your bow hunting analogy, I bow hunt too. We aren't professionals. That's why practice is more important to us. We don't shoot a bow for a living.

Please Note: A number of my responses ended up in your quote.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a couple bad games with the dropsies. (So did Jennings, BTW) But that's a **** poor reason to cut a guy with his talent. You DO understand that had better production in the passing game than any other TE in Packers history (that's 92 years), right?

You're most welcome.

I NEVER suggested cutting him... You got me mistaken for other posters. I want him around forever.

All I'm saying is that player doesn't forget how to catch.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying practice is meaningless... You're completely taking what I am saying the wrong way (not to mention being very defensive). Again, I'm just saying that a guy who's been catching footballs for 10+ years doesn't forget how to catch a football. Practice makes perfect.

Regarding your bow hunting analogy, I bow hunt too. We aren't professionals.

So again, the implication you seem to be making here (whether intentional or not) is that practice doesn't mean much for professionals.

That's why practice is more important to us. We don't shoot a bow for a living.

Even if we did shoot bow for a living, we would have to practice regularly to stay in top form. Finley didn't practice for nearly 10 months. It has an impact. I really think you're worrying over nothing. He'll be fine.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I NEVER suggested cutting him... You got me mistaken for other posters. I want him around forever.

All I'm saying is that player doesn't forget how to catch.

I've never said otherwise. But skill do erode without practice... even for professionals.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if we did shoot bow for a living, we would have to practice regularly to stay in top form. Finley didn't practice for nearly 10 months. It has an impact. I really think you're worrying over nothing. He'll be fine.

That's been my point the entire time... I'm not worried about him. I'm just not making excuses for his performance.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I disagree with this statement. A professional player who has been catching passes from high school to college to the NFL does not forget how to catch a football. Regardless of time off, a player who's job it is to catch a football knows how to catch a football. Less than a year of not playing in live games shouldn't be an excuse for dropping passes.

Rust is a factor. No practice or repetition is a factor. It happens to athletes in every sport after long layoffs and a lack of training and preparation.

Any combatant will tell you that Ring Rust is very real, and most of these guys have been fighting from childhood. You may never forget how to throw a punch but throwing one accurately, timing on your punches, these things can take a while to build back up and the only way to do that is through repetition and live sparring. It's no different than the NFL

And the last time I checked, being able to receive is a secondary requirement for a tight end who's primary responsibility is actually pass and run blocking.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with much of what you say Southpaw but the TE position has evolved to the point where it is at least as much about receiving as blocking. This is especially true in McCarthy's offense.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Finley said he was healthy in Sept of 2011

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/130679553.html

I think your stretching it a bit...He got to practice and had a full 16 game season to get ready for the 50 mph...Your acting like he just got back from rehab..But he had at least 4.5 months to settle in..

We get your mad at Ivo's comments...that's fine---------but please dont sit there and try to pass off some stuff to validate his drops..Because I and others wont buy it

Sept vs the Bears had 7 catches and 3 tds (knee didnt affect him then) Last Detroit game had 7 catches again and a td, so it didnt affect him then..

Being in shape and healthy physically has little to no bearing on how up to par you are with your skills training. He may have been healthier and ready to go by the time the regular season started, but that doesn't mean he was able to put in the time to sharpen his abilities on the field.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Being in shape and healthy physically has little to no bearing on how up to par you are with your skills training. He may have been healthier and ready to go by the time the regular season started, but that doesn't mean he was able to put in the time to sharpen his abilities on the field.

Missing the point..

he was healthy when season started, so he had ALL SEASON to practice...17 weeks worth if not more including pre season

If what your saying is completely true (he couldnt get ready in 17 plus weeks to catch balls) then we should cut him

So with that said Ivo wanting to let him go would please you??

Instead it upsets you

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he kept his big mouth shut or at least caught balls in it, I wouldn't have a problem with him. He has the talent to be a top 5 TE . Just shut up and let your talking be done on the field.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Missing the point..

he was healthy when season started, so he had ALL SEASON to practice...17 weeks worth if not more including pre season

If what your saying is completely true (he couldnt get ready in 17 plus weeks to catch balls) then we should cut him

So with that said Ivo wanting to let him go would please you??

Instead it upsets you

Do you not understand the concept of OTA's or an offseason? Do you think the only thing the receivers and tight ends do the week leading up to the game is catch footballs?

James Jones had 19 weeks last season to improve his ball skills but they never improved. They were a problem from week 1 to the Superbowl.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the combo of Southpaw and GreenBlood constantly using the phrase "Do you not understand" to start posts. Apparently nobody understands except you...

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I like the combo of Southpaw and GreenBlood constantly using the phrase "Do you not understand" to start posts. Apparently nobody understands except you...

Well clearly you don't understand. I wouldn't say it otherwise.

Listen, I'm not going to get on here and defend a player for no reason. I have no personal feelings for Finley but I do have personal feeling for this team. I love this team and want them to succeed and part of the success that we all want is a high scoring offense and Finley is a player that, despite some drops, makes that possible.

Drops CAN be fixed. He's a young player with loads of potential which he's displayed in previous seasons and even this season. To let him go would be unwise, clearly the majority of people including the people that are actually involved with this organization and team want to keep him.

For you people on here who love to worship and place all your trust in the infallible Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy, you sure seem to think you know more than they do right now.

I get it you are all still bent out of shape that our season ended early and with that we all want to find somebody to blame it on. However, maybe it's time to find someone else to pin it on or at least spread some of the blame. Because Finley is hardly the reason for our playoffs failures.

We still won 15 games despite some untimely drops, but make no mistake that he is still a vital part of our offense and our success in being the best scoring offense in the NFL

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well clearly you don't understand. I wouldn't say it otherwise.

Listen, I'm not going to get on here and defend a player for no reason. I have no personal feelings for Finley but I do have personal feeling for this team. I love this team and want them to succeed and part of the success that we all want is a high scoring offense and Finley is a player that, despite some drops, makes that possible.

Drops CAN be fixed. He's a young player with loads of potential which he's displayed in previous seasons and even this season. To let him go would be unwise, clearly the majority of people including the people that are actually involved with this organization and team want to keep him.

For you people on here who love to worship and place all your trust in the infallible Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy, you sure seem to think you know more than they do right now.

I get it you are all still bent out of shape that our season ended early and with that we all want to find somebody to blame it on. However, maybe it's time to find someone else to pin it on or at least spread some of the blame. Because Finley is hardly the reason for our playoffs failures.

We still won 15 games despite some untimely drops, but make no mistake that he is still a vital part of our offense and our success in being the best scoring offense in the NFL

You got me confused man. I don't put all my faith in Ted Thompson. I don't blame Finley for the Giants loss. I don't want Finley cut. I personally don't consider Mike McCarthy a very good coach. I also love the Packers and want them to win the Super Bowl every year.

I just felt like commenting on how you and GreenBlood state everything like it's fact.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
You got me confused man. I don't put all my faith in Ted Thompson. I don't blame Finley for the Giants loss. I don't want Finley cut. I personally don't consider Mike McCarthy a very good coach. I also love the Packers and want them to win the Super Bowl every year.

I just felt like commenting on how you and GreenBlood state everything like it's fact.

I don't, but for some reason when it comes to these types of arguments you and a lot of other don't like to look into these issues with much depth or look beyond the obvious or even bother to check to see what you are saying is accurate.

If OTA's and Weekly Practices were the same thing. Why would teams, analysts and fans be making such a big deal about there no being any due to the lockout?

If Weekly practices were enough to fix drops, then why didn't it help James Jones last season? I mean he did have 19-20 weeks to improve and it never did. Finley is no exception.

An offseason for Jones where he was able to focus on improving his game and he's back to playing great.

Are we just going to wash our hands of Finley without giving him a chance?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you not understand the concept of OTA's or an offseason? Do you think the only thing the receivers and tight ends do the week leading up to the game is catch footballs?

James Jones had 19 weeks last season to improve his ball skills but they never improved. They were a problem from week 1 to the Superbowl.

LOL..

1st I want Finley to stay, drops can be fixed...

2nd, you are so missing my point

ota, and offseason I get it, to hone your skills..We all know that

But what your not understanding is that at practice he can do same thing..They dont just sit there and go thru the plays for each week..They do catch balls, kickers kick fg, punters punt , q/b throw, and wr and te CATCH the balls

Unless you have 1st hand knowledge of Finleys day to day practice routines, I suggest we just end this debate cuz neither has the RIGHT answer

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL..

1st I want Finley to stay, drops can be fixed...

2nd, you are so missing my point

ota, and offseason I get it, to hone your skills..We all know that

But what your not understanding is that at practice he can do same thing..They dont just sit there and go thru the plays for each week..They do catch balls, kickers kick fg, punters punt , q/b throw, and wr and te CATCH the balls

Unless you have 1st hand knowledge of Finleys day to day practice routines, I suggest we just end this debate cuz neither has the RIGHT answer

:tup::tup: THANK YOU

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But what your not understanding is that at practice he can do same thing..They dont just sit there and go thru the plays for each week..They do catch balls, kickers kick fg, punters punt , q/b throw, and wr and te CATCH the ball

They don't get anywhere near the same reps on individual skills as they do with OTAs and mini camps. Finley never had a problem with drops prior to this year. The difference in those seasons is clear.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They don't get anywhere near the same reps on individual skills as they do with OTAs and mini camps. Finley never had a problem with drops prior to this year. The difference in those seasons is clear.

Ok so...

With ota and mini camps they work on catching...Then rest of the season they dont?

So from Aug on they dotn work on it? Come on...

I am not buying that

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't he say his timing with Aaron was off all year? I don't think you need an off season to remember how to or continue to be able to catch a ball but it could have effected the timing. The last time Rodgers had thrown to him he was probably a step faster with a good knee. After the injury its possible that he lost a step and that his cuts are slightly different. That coupled with a mental block could be the root of the issue. I think it can be fixed though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Weekly practices were enough to fix drops, then why didn't it help James Jones last season? I mean he did have 19-20 weeks to improve and it never did. Finley is no exception.

An offseason for Jones where he was able to focus on improving his game and he's back to playing great.

Jj wasnt hurt and had all of ota and mini camps, right?

Sure helped him stop his drops in 2010....

Face it, ota, practices, mini camps arent a cure all for the drops..

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts