Let Finley become a Free Agent

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Seriously where did the attitude come from?

Where does the blind hatred for Finley come from?

He was a beast, he got injured, he had a less than stellar season and is now being blamed for almost all our problems and people want him gone. After ONE season where in the previous seasons he's been nothing but an asset to our team.

Athletes are not superhuman. Some people don't get this so I propose an experiment

I'll tell you what I'll come over to your house, break your hands with a hammer and then ridicule you when you can't type on your keyboard legibly. Seem Fair?

Or better yet if I was a mod, I'll be like "lulz he can't even type so why keep him around?BANNED!!!!"

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Rodgers said last year about making James Jones a priority to resign, I believe he will do the same saying to make Finley resigned.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
People are really going to sit here and say they want Finley a player who has been productive for our offense for 2 seasons and coming off an injury has a single season where despite a lot of drops was still a weapon....and now don't want anything to do with him?

Baffling

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are really going to sit here and say they want Finley a player who has been productive for our offense for 2 seasons and coming off an injury has a single season where despite a lot of drops was still a weapon....and now don't want anything to do with him?

Baffling

I agree 100% on every one of your posts about finley, it is very dissapointing to see people saying he should leave.

Today he tweeted, off to Arizona to get in the best shape of my life. Such a hard worker, he worked so hard rehabbing last year as well.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I agree 100% on every one of your posts about finley, it is very dissapointing to see people saying he should leave.

Today he tweeted, off to Arizona to get in the best shape of my life. Such a hard worker, he worked so hard rehabbing last year as well.

I doubt there is anyone more critical of Finley than himself. I believe what MM says about his work ethic and if he doesn't come out next year and light it up and be a playmaker, you can bash me as much as you like and I'll take it. I'll even take a one month ban if it'll make the detractors happy.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt there is anyone more critical of Finley than himself. I believe what MM says about his work ethic and if he doesn't come out next year and light it up and be a playmaker, you can bash me as much as you like and I'll take it. I'll even take a one month ban if it'll make the detractors happy.

Same here, I really think he'll have a great year as I think he did this year. On an another note, even if the stats arnt there, its because defenses are putting alot of attention on him. Just by him lining up wherever on the field, he is helping other wrs get open. I dont understand how anybody can call that selfish. He got alot of attention by defenses this year and still had a great year stat wise imo, obvs except the drops.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

He was a beast, he got injured, he had a less than stellar season and is now being blamed for almost all our problems and people want him gone. After ONE season where in the previous seasons he's been nothing but an asset to our team.

Athletes are not superhuman. Some people don't get this so I propose an experiment

I'll tell you what I'll come over to your house, break your hands with a hammer and then ridicule you when you can't type on your keyboard legibly. Seem Fair?

Or better yet if I was a mod, I'll be like "lulz he can't even type so why keep him around?BANNED!!!!"

his hands werent smashed tho..He was healthy as can be..So to use an argument as this is just plain wrong..

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many of theirs and our guys caught over 30. Over 20.
(I did not account for other passers in the receivers numbers)
NE leading receptions -- (401 total) 122, 90, 79, 51, 18, 15, 9, 7 <only two receivers played 16 games>
NO leading receptions -- (472 total) 99, 86, 80, 52, 50, 40, 32, 11, 11 <6/9 played 16 games>
GB leading receptions -- (343 total) 68, 67, 55, 38, 37, 29, 25, 19, 15, 10 <5/10 receivers played 16 games>

I forgot too much of my high school statistics class to make a meaningful analysis of the numbers.

EDIT: Also need to account for injuries. Saines receptions in the last few games were because of Green and Starks being out. That skews the diversity numbers up.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
his hands werent smashed tho..He was healthy as can be..So to use an argument as this is just plain wrong..

Who is to say that he was healthy as can be? No athlete, especially in the NFL is ever 100% healthy as much as they like to use tired rhetoric of "I'm in the best shape of my life" or "I'm 100%"

I don't feel like posting how an injury like a torn knee ligament can severely hinder your ability to do anything because I've explained it a thousand times to the armchair quarterbacks on here.

Finley tore his knee and couldn't do anything but sit around and heal and catching a 50mph is not something you just decide to go out and do. Being able to requires repetition. Where does that repetition come from when you are sitting on your butt and have no OTA's?

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But while others were practicing football when they could, finley was out rehabbing and not really worrying about football. This year he will have a full offseason to practice football and not worry about rehab.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Southpaw,

Consider for a moment that by calling the opinions of others idiotic and retarded and by suggesting they jump off a cliff you are presenting those on the other side with a true analogy (unlike ivo610’s opinion which you called an analogy). Your behavior on this thread is analogous to how those you disagree with characterize Finley’s behavior in the locker room… Hey, I’m on the same side of the argument but c’mon man: IMO you weaken the argument with that bovine scatology.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley tore his knee and couldn't do anything but sit around and heal and catching a 50mph is not something you just decide to go out and do. Being able to requires repetition. Where does that repetition come from when you are sitting on your butt and have no OTA's?

I disagree with this statement. A professional player who has been catching passes from high school to college to the NFL does not forget how to catch a football. Regardless of time off, a player who's job it is to catch a football knows how to catch a football. Less than a year of not playing in live games shouldn't be an excuse for dropping passes.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're that sensitive about Finley you lash out at posters over it?

Never said I hated him. Just proposed a solution to an offseason problem/issue the team is likely to encounter.

I wonder if Arod will go public for his support to JM to be on the team like he did last year for JJ if it comes to that....

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
QUARLESS??? Quarless is mediocre at the very best and that was BEFORE he blew his his knee out.

Quarless is no Finley, but remember Cobb is going to be seeing more action this coming year. I agree with the writers who said there are going to be some teams who want to use Finley as their feature. If they do, they are going to offer Finley a ton of money that the Packers will not match. Remember the Packers have lots of receivers, but they need to use money for defense this coming season. So a Quarless/Cobb tandem looks like the next best thing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who is to say that he was healthy as can be? No athlete, especially in the NFL is ever 100% healthy as much as they like to use tired rhetoric of "I'm in the best shape of my life" or "I'm 100%"

I don't feel like posting how an injury like a torn knee ligament can severely hinder your ability to do anything because I've explained it a thousand times to the armchair quarterbacks on here.

Finley said he was healthy in Sept of 2011

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/130679553.html
"The cuts I was making, I felt so light out there," Finley said. "I thought to myself, 'I've never felt like this.' I thought back to all those two-a-day workouts and not taking a single one off. Every day was a serious grind.
"But now I'm in the best shape of my life."

I think your stretching it a bit...He got to practice and had a full 16 game season to get ready for the 50 mph...Your acting like he just got back from rehab..But he had at least 4.5 months to settle in..

We get your mad at Ivo's comments...that's fine---------but please dont sit there and try to pass off some stuff to validate his drops..Because I and others wont buy it

Sept vs the Bears had 7 catches and 3 tds (knee didnt affect him then) Last Detroit game had 7 catches again and a td, so it didnt affect him then..

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Southpaw,

Consider for a moment that by calling the opinions of others idiotic and retarded and by suggesting they jump off a cliff you are ...

Totally agreed. I want to keep Finley as well. But, am not a big fan of how this thread's debate has gone. Surprised the mods haven't talked to SP yet about personal attacks- am pretty sure the TOS forbids this type of activity. Even the hypothetical smashing of ivo's hands with a hammer crossed the line, imo.

Back on target: In Ted I trust. No doubt in that he has a dilemma here. But, the fact that the Giants had singled out #88 as a key to victory is enough for me to desire Ted to figure out something to keep Jermichael in the green and gold next year.

I don't question his attitude. McCarthy likes him, Rodgers likes him, his teammates like him. Isn't that enough evidence to dispel any belief that Finley is a "cancer" in the locker room? It is for me.

I believe his drop-itus is curable. He's young and wants to shine. I don't believe it's a fear of being hit, rather a simple case of wanting to run before he secures the ball. I have watched his drops from the last few games and, for most of them, it is clear that he is turning his head prematurely. He's not looking to avoid a hit (as some have suggested), rather he is simply starting to run to space too soon. It's fundamental. He will get it corrected, imo.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I agree. I think perhaps Finley is "pressing" a little too much. Something has gotten into his head and I am confident that it is curable. If I were to put forward an analogy I would say Finley's drops are much like a pro golfer who gets the "yips." The yips are curable, you just need the right coach and the right drills to help correct it. I wouldn't mind the Pack keeping Finley if possible at a reasonable price, but that being said, I do not see him as VITAL to our success: helpful, profitable, yes; vital no.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just in case anyone wants to see the BIG picture of the team and salaries here is a good article. Look down the list and you'll see that TT not only has to think about this year's free agents, but some big contracts are going to be due next season as well. He's not able to break the bank to keep Finley, it's just dollars and sense. (pun intended)

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/138820739.html

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I disagree with this statement. A professional player who has been catching passes from high school to college to the NFL does not forget how to catch a football. Regardless of time off, a player who's job it is to catch a football knows how to catch a football. Less than a year of not playing in live games shouldn't be an excuse for dropping passes.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If what you said was true they would not need OTAs or mini camps at all. Do you know what they do at those? 85% of the time they are spent doing position DRILLS. One day receivers will do nothing but run various routes without even having the ball thrown to them. The next day they might do nothing but catch 60 mph fastballs from the jugs machine. Know why? BECAUSE SKILL MUST BE MAINTAINED. It's the same reason why life long bow hunters who have been shooting bow for 40 years STILL go out and practice a few weeks before bow season. It's not because they forgot how to shoot a bow. It's because they need to sharpen their skills, just like ANY SPORT.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have no idea what you're talking about. If what you said was true they would not need OTAs or mini camps at all. Do you know what they do at those? 85% of the time they are spent doing position DRILLS. One day receivers will do nothing but run various routes without even having the ball thrown to them. The next day they might do nothing but catch 60 mph fastballs from the jugs machine. Know why? BECAUSE SKILL MUST BE MAINTAINED. It's the same reason why life long bow hunters who have been shooting bow for 40 years STILL go out and practice a few weeks before bow season. It's not because they forgot how to shoot a bow. It's because they need to sharpen their skills, just like ANY SPORT.

Then wouldn't the number of drops decrease as the season progressed? Did Finley need more than 16 games to relearn how to catch a football?

Thanks for being the authority on everything!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have no idea what you're talking about.

I like how you say that... Like you know for a fact the lack of OTA's was the cause for the drops. It wasn't lack of concentration or anything, it was lack of OTA's... Like Finley called you and said, "I blame my 13 drops on not having OTA's".

Listen, I'm not hating on Finley. I want him resigned long term. I want him to tear up league like Gronkowski. I'm just saying that a professional knows how to catch a football. 9 months of not playing live football should not result in an almost 13% drop rate.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Then wouldn't the number of drops decrease as the season progressed? Did Finley need more than 16 games to relearn how to catch a football?

He had a couple bad games with the dropsies. (So did Jennings, BTW) But that's a **** poor reason to cut a guy with his talent. You DO understand that had better production in the passing game than any other TE in Packers history (that's 92 years), right?

Thanks for being the authority on everything!

You're most welcome.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like how you say that... Like you know for a fact the lack of OTA's was the cause for the drops.

Being out of football for 9 months and not having the benefit of OTAs and minicamps CERTAINLY contributed.

I want him to tear up league like Gronkowski.

Not going to happen. Brady has three legitimate downfield targets: Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski. Deion Branch is mediocre at best and Chad 85 is washed-up. Rodgers has five or six downfield targets and he distributes the ball to keep the defense guessing where he's going next. You want Finley to have crazy stupid stats like that ******* Gronkowski? Cut Jones, Driver and Cobb and then he probably will.

I'm just saying that a professional knows how to catch a football.

So what you're saying is that practice is a meaningless waste of time for professional athletes? Knowledge does not equal performance. I know how to shoot a bow, but it takes me a good 2 weeks of practice prior to bow season to consistently put my arrows in a nice 4" group from 30 yards. Just because I start out each year with 10-12" groups doesn't mean I forgot HOW to shoot my bow.

Members online

Latest posts