Let’s all take a minute or two....

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's unbelievable. gute has to be thrilled. heck...murphy has to be thrilled. murph's always been a business genius but everything he's touched football wise since the thompson ouster has been gold. the gute hire is the biggest thing. he's done a great job.

I agree. I am absolutely proud of the organization.

Some were concerned that Murphy would be calling the shots when Gute was hired. But from everything I've seen, I'm pretty sure he is letting him do what he wants. So far he is making pretty great decisions, IMO.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that the operative word, to me, is You ARE Here. I didn't expect to be, but now that I am, I will be disappointed if the ride doesn't continue. There are folks who have expressed being happy with good/great seasons, I just not one of those. 2011 and 2014 were two of those
It's great that the team has exceeded expectations (in most ways), but the problem with YOU ARE HERE is that this is an opportunity that doesn't come along every day. If we don't take advantage of it, we've wasted it and fallen short. You can't depend on being in this same position next year.

I enjoyed the 2011 season because we were defending champs and I was determined to enjoy that until we weren't anymore. Add in the crazy good offense we had, and the 15-1 record, and it was the most fun I ever had in a season that didn't end with a Super Bowl win. But losing to the Giants at Lambeau was definitely disappointing.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes this season so unusual is the unbelievable health of this team at this point! These type of seasons don’t come around very often and it makes for a great opportunity to reach the big game. The media keeps harping on AR going 1-3 in Championship games but in his 2 loses injuries were a huge factor. Against Seattle he couldn’t even run and against Atlanta their DBs were not even on an NFL roster mid season. Let’s go!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has blossomed make no mistake about it. I have been more critical of the coaching and GM in the past 5 years than any of the players. Now that the regime has changed (which was necessary imo) we are on the doorstep of one of the most impressive turn arounds since the late 80's/early 90's. To me, a lot of what has occurred is due to mismanagement, and not the players. I agree that credit needs to be given to the management of this organization. They have and are putting together a great product in a quick hurry.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes this season so unusual is the unbelievable health of this team at this point!
I'm really hoping the health is due to something the coaching and training staff is doing, and not just blind luck. That may be wishful thinking, but it would be great if this was something that could be repeated. Seems like the team was always banged up under McCarthy. They'd pull a hamstring or something walking down the stairs.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really hoping the health is due to something the coaching and training staff is doing, and not just blind luck. That may be wishful thinking, but it would be great if this was something that could be repeated. Seems like the team was always banged up under McCarthy. They'd pull a hamstring or something walking down the stairs.
I think I heard one of the players mention something about not having long practices in comparison to their time with McCarthy, and I think Lafleur mentioned that a few times at the podium.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would say it is a little bit of both. Anytime you seemingly have a full 53 (52 in this case) man roster as healthy as what we currently have, there’s a good portion of luck that goes into it. And not all injuries are created equal. You look at the Barr hit on Rodgers in 17. That was a forceful drive to the ground, and it happened to hit in the perfect spot to essentially knock him out for the season. That’s unfortunate luck.

But I think LaFleur and his staff have a terrific strategy with handling practices, workloads throughout the week, etc. Its one of the many things that have shown improvement under this new staff.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win or lose today, can we all agree...

What a hell of a season.

I didn't think we would be here when we limped into the off-season a year ago. Some of you did. Credit to the front office in taking a different direction and being aggressive in FA, finding a coach that could quickly flip this teams fortunes, and here we are, back in the NFC championship.

What a season.

Go. Pack. Go.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I’m sure we are all disappointed, the best team won the game tonight. We had a good but not great squad. It was a run of the mill 10-6 team masquerading as a 13-3 team due to a bunch of close wins. It was not a championship team.

That being said, I think we have a lot of the pieces in place to be strong contenders next year. We are a couple players away. I expect Gute to address our shortcoming this offseason. All in all, 13-3 with a first year head coach has to be considered a successful year.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I’m sure we are all disappointed, the best team won the game tonight. We had a good but not great squad. It was a run of the mill 10-6 team masquerading as a 13-3 team due to a bunch of close wins. It was not a championship team.

That being said, I think we have a lot of the pieces in place to be strong contenders next year. We are a couple players away. I expect Gute to address our shortcoming this offseason. All in all, 13-3 with a first year head coach has to be considered a successful year.

I think MLF did a hell of a job all things considered.

Definitely a few pieces away, but are any players "masquerading(sp)" as well?

There appear to be some obvious holes to fill/target, but picking at the BOTTOM of every round wont help, oh well...

We will see....

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for saving me the trouble

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were very lucky to play a lot of teams missing key players with injuries. You can chalk up the wins over KC, Seattle, the second Detroit game and even the Carolina game to luck with injuries. Packers were just manhandled physically against the Niners. Looked like the men vs the boys. Complete a** kicking both times. They need to get much more athletic and physical on the d line. Niners o line just destroyed the Packers.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers were very lucky to play a lot of teams missing key players with injuries. You can chalk up the wins over KC, Seattle, the second Detroit game and even the Carolina game to luck with injuries. Packers were just manhandled physically against the Niners. Looked like the men vs the boys. Complete a** kicking both times. They need to get much more athletic and physical on the d line. Niners o line just destroyed the Packers.
yup. overachieved due to luck (as you mentioned), good health, a much better D, and aaron jones. what was it...9-1 in one score games? another massive overhaul coming this offseason. was fun. *idk...for some reason i've got this odd feeling that rodgers might retire*

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good comments above. Green Bay has a HUGE talent deficit thanks to Ted Thompson’s last 4 pathetic drafts. That can’t be fixed in 2 years. Gute has done a very good job in closing the talent void but it’s still (obviously) there if we want to be better than a decent team. Enjoy 14-4... we WAY overachieved. We need to KEEP overachieving while adding talent. The TEAM needs to get better... maybe they won’t RECORD wise next year, but they need to be better prepared to win in the playoffs. IMO they were VERY fortunate to get past SEA. Hopefully a key (not high priced) free agent here or there and draft well. The RB that ran all over us tonight was waived SIX times!! Rodgers needs some better weapons but he also needs to look in the mirror and become a better player and LEADER. Should be a great Super Bowl matchup... we did not belong

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I’m sure we are all disappointed, the best team won the game tonight. We had a good but not great squad. It was a run of the mill 10-6 team masquerading as a 13-3 team due to a bunch of close wins.

I call BS here. What is this 10-6 team masquerading as a 13-3 team nonsense? We were a 13-3 team, PERIOD. We had 5 games that we won by a TD or less. Niners also had 5 games won by a TD or less.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I call BS here. What is this 10-6 team masquerading as a 13-3 team nonsense? We were a 13-3 team, PERIOD. We had 5 games that we won by a TD or less. Niners also had 5 games won by a TD or less.
but they played, and looked, like an 8-8/9-7 team. the O and the D were very up and down this season. never played a complete game. won two games versus det without ever having the lead. look for more of the same next season as that's what happens to rebuilding teams. i hope the good luck in the injury department continues.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

San Fran was one inch away in week 17 from likely having to face us @ Lambeau. I would have loved to see how that played out. I was worried about the road factor today.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are lots of ways to see how strong a team is relative to its record. The Packers were a very weak 13-3 team. No 13-3 team in NFL history had a worse point differential than us this year. That plus the close games suggests a bit of luck played into the strong record. You make the SF comparison, but the Niners has a point differential more than 100 points better than the Packers, suggesting they were around a 12-4 team. Most other metrics support that the 2019 Pack were not as good as their record. The 10-6 2010 Packers were a much stronger team than this one.

We were a good team this year- just not a great one.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are lots of ways to see how strong a team is relative to its record. The Packers were a very weak 13-3 team. No 13-3 team in NFL history had a worse point differential than us this year. That plus the close games suggests a bit of luck played into the strong record. You make the SF comparison, but the Niners has a point differential more than 100 points better than the Packers, suggesting they were around a 12-4 team. Most other metrics support that the 2019 Pack were not as good as their record. The 10-6 2010 Packers were a much stronger team than this one.

We were a good team this year- just not a great one.

Point differential doesn't indicate how good a team is. The Patriots put up a ton of points in 8 games played against the absolute worst teams. It doesn't mean they were a good team. They weren't. Winning by 7 against a good team is FAR more impressive than winning by 25 over the worst of the worst.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't compare the Niners and Packers please. There is no comparison. Niners just kicked the Packers a**. They flat out don't beling on the same field as them. Both games were blowouts from the opening. The identical records in the regular season were a mere coincidence.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't compare the Niners and Packers please. There is no comparison. Niners just kicked the Packers a**. They flat out don't beling on the same field as them. Both games were blowouts from the opening. The identical records in the regular season were a mere coincidence.

I'm sorry, but did you completely miss the context? He tried to say we weren't a legitimate 13-3 team because several of our games were close. I merely pointed out that several of SF's games were close too. Context matters.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point differential doesn't indicate how good a team is. The Patriots put up a ton of points in 8 games played against the absolute worst teams. It doesn't mean they were a good team. They weren't. Winning by 7 against a good team is FAR more impressive than winning by 25 over the worst of the worst.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree. Point differential is just one example of how the Packers weren't as good as their record. Plenty of other metrics show the same thing. Take a look at DVOA, SRS, etc. There are ways of reading into the strength of a team beyond their record, and none of those metrics reflect favorably on this team. I mean, even just look at our rankings from this season- 18th in offensive yards, 15th in points, 15th in rushing yards, 17th in passing yards, 18th in total defensive yards, 23rd in defensive rushing yards, 14th defensive passing yards. All of those are average numbers. The Packers were above average at taking the ball away and not giving it away, which is what bumped them from an average team to a good team. But there is just nothing that supports them as being as good as their 13-3 record indicates.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts