Lessons to be learned.......You must practice in the cold...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Lessons to be learned.......You must practice in the col

The GLOOM The DOOM, it's everywhere!!!!

Everybody needs to relax.

The Packers I do believe had more total yardage than The Bears, the problem being Pack could never get the ball out of their own territory.

Better a game like this happens now than in the play-offs.

Here is a suggestion to those of you who sre still dwelling on yesterdays game.

Go Enjoy The Holiday with your family and friends, stay away from this forum, forget about football for a day or two, then come back re-energized and let's start talking playoff football!!!!

I'll almost bet MM let the team go home for Xmas, and he and the other coaches are already going over yesterdays films, working on how to fix the problems.

Enjoy the fact Packers are 12-3 have a home game against The Lions then have plenty of time to get ready for the palyoffs!!!

45 MPH winds are not going to happen very often, so just forget about yesterdays game, it wasn't typical.

Always look foward, looking back wondering what if doesn't help a bit!!!!!

Sound advice. There is no gloom and doom from this guy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

IGHPack said:
I think to effectively play in Green Bay and have a home field advantage it will require that soneone take a big padlock and put it on the Don Hutson front door about ther second week of November.

Do we know for a fact Holmgren practiced outside?

When Mike Holmgren was coach from 1992 to 1998, he established the Packers’ dominance in bad weather even though he, like McCarthy, opted 4 quality workouts in the Hutson Center rather than practicing outside in the cold. During Holmgren’s tenure, the Packers were 18-1 at Lambeau Field in December and January, playoffs included.

Holmgren almost always practiced in the Hutson Center starting about November, though perhaps one day in December, he’d take the team outside.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan said:
IGHPack said:
I think to effectively play in Green Bay and have a home field advantage it will require that soneone take a big padlock and put it on the Don Hutson front door about ther second week of November.

Do we know for a fact Holmgren practiced outside?

When Mike Holmgren was coach from 1992 to 1998, he established the Packers’ dominance in bad weather even though he, like McCarthy, opted 4 quality workouts in the Hutson Center rather than practicing outside in the cold. During Holmgren’s tenure, the Packers were 18-1 at Lambeau Field in December and January, playoffs included.

Holmgren almost always practiced in the Hutson Center starting about November, though perhaps one day in December, he’d take the team outside.
That pretty much ends the discussion. Cant argue with an 18-1 record.

And the 1 home December loss for Holmgren wasn't at Lambeau; it was in Milwaukee, in 1993, against the Vikings. 21-17.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This weather won't happen again. Put this game behind us PLEASE. The pack are about to go into the playoffs and then the superbowl. I got my popcorn ready.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a young team and one of the many things that they still have to learn is to play in the cold. You can't do that practicing in the warmth of the Hutson Center.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I watched the Packers get slaughtered on Sunday, looking like they didn't have the slightest clue how to play football in bad weather, I had the same thought as many people here: Maybe they should've practiced outdoors. But then I thought: Did the Bears practice outdoors? I don't know. And other people here have made valid points about how the Packers could not have practiced in a wind like that and about Holmgren not practicing outdoors in cold weather very often.

I's still disappointed by how badly they played. Lovie Smith has outcoached Mike McCarthy in all three of the Bears wins these past two years, and the one Bears loss was a meaningless game. And I didn't like it that the Packer players who had the most trouble with the wind were long snapper Rob Davis, who has experienced all kinds of weather conditions, and Jon Ryan, who is Canadian.

It was a stinky performance and I feel less good now about the Packers' chances of making it to the Super Bowl and winning it, but oh well. I think they will slaughter the Lions next Sunday and go into the playoffs feeling pretty good.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg, my point is that when you have a young team like the Packers, they're going to see some things for the first time. Mike McCarthy is a smart guy. He will learn from this experience. Last year in that final game, McCarthy outcoached Lovie. In this last game, the only guy that Mike outsmarted was himself. He will learn from that. I would be very surprised if the Packers didn't do more things outside, even if it just has to do with warm-up's or running some routes, or giving the linemen a chance to block a bit on frozen ground.

I have been concerned, not worried, about our defense for quite awhile. It seems they play well on first and second down and then on third down, they still break down. You don't see this defene getting off the field quickly with 3 and outs. Sanders has to be concerned about the intensity with which his team plays. When they're intense they play well, however, sometimes intensity creates mistakes. As good of a year as Barnett is having, when he gets to intense, he starts making mistakes and over runs plays which usually results in big plays for the other team.

I'm a bit concerned about Hawk too. I expect a lot out of a guy who was drafted #5. I was hoping this guy would be an impact player and so far he hasn't turned out to be that way.

I still like this team a lot and I believe in Mike McCarthy. Who would have imagined a year ago that we'd 12-3 going into the last week of the season? This coaching staff has worked miracles with these guys. I just happen to believe that the miracle is not completed yet.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm a bit concerned about Hawk too. I expect a lot out of a guy who was drafted #5. I was hoping this guy would be an impact player and so far he hasn't turned out to be that way.

I'm concerned about Hawk too. He seemed better last year than this year. Hopefully just a sophomore slump and next year, he'll be back with a vengeance. We'll see...

Members online

Latest posts