Lessons to be learned.......You must practice in the cold...

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in the cold is not enough....you must practice at least special teams in the elements.

I hope MM learns from this.

packfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Lessons to be learned.......You must practice in the col

it wasn't the cold, it was the wind. Really hard to simulate a 40 MPH wind isn't it?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Living in the cold is not enough....you must practice at least special teams in the elements.

I hope MM learns from this.

Yes. You can't let the elements be an excuse. This was a pathetic showing. Our timing was off and our blocking looked horrible all day. Grant was getting hit too much behind the line. It's totally unacceptable.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. We will be playing at least 1 game at Lambeau in the playoffs and I think next week vs. Detroit will be a good experience for our young guys, get them even more acclimated to the cold weather and better prepare ourselves for our run to the playoffs. Definite possibility that Dallas could get knocked out in the first round and we'd be the highest seed left in the NFC, therefore the playoffs going through Lambeau...

But yeah, we mailed it in today, and it looked like we're a warm weather team who didn't realize it was gonna be a brisk day today. I hope this makes us even hungrier and realizes not to take ANY opponent lightly.

Woodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever the ***It was. there is no excuses for this ****** performance!! they are pro's..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whatever the ***It was. there is no excuses for this ****** performance!! they are pro's..

Agreed. Winners don't make excuses.
This is completely unprofessional.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

it wasn't the cold, it was the wind. Really hard to simulate a 40 MPH wind isn't it?

Get a jumbo jet in there and make em run plays behind the engines.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't recall hearing that the wind stopped when CHI had the ball...

Woodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score

packfan43084 said:

I don't recall hearing that the wind stopped when CHI had the ball...

Exactly my point the bears did it. why didn't we??? LOL

comical i tell you

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is why for some odd reason I don't really see us that much worse of if we have to travel to Dallas. In the last 15 years this team is probably one of the best suited to play indoors

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, our offensive players/punt team looked like they were going to break or they had too many layers on to move.

This team should be embarrassed how they played. I'm embarrassed for them.

Kyle freakin Orton? Come on

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before we start thinking about playing in Dallas, we have to win the first game in Green Bay. It looked today like our boys are all from the south. They don't like playing in the cold. We probably have a better chance in Dallas.

V

Vikeman

Good point...the vikes practice outdoors. Whats with the Packers practicing inside all week?

Plus according to the logic of some Packer fans on this beloved website...the Vikings are better then the Packers since we swept the Bears and they swept you...just thought some of the Packer fans could insert foot in mouth now.

Good luck in the playoffs...hopefully we make it and meet you guys...then we can boot you out of the playoffs again.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good point...the vikes practice outdoors. Whats with the Packers practicing inside all week?

Plus according to the logic of some Packer fans on this beloved website...the Vikings are better then the Packers since we swept the Bears and they swept you...just thought some of the Packer fans could insert foot in mouth now.

Good luck in the playoffs...hopefully we make it and meet you guys...then we can boot you out of the playoffs again.

What planet are you on???

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green_Bay_Packers said:

What planet are you on???

The same one where Bears fans gloat like crazy. I've never seen non-playoff teams enjoy themselves so much.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's face it! The bears wanted a win and needed a win. Our team was more interested in keeping warm. Shows what practicing indoors will do for you. If the Packers DON'T practice outdoors this week, maybe the league office will let them play the game in Hutson Center. After all, I wouldn't want to see them uncomfortable, would you? Shameful!!

Reaction score
I think McCarthy out smarted himself this week.

First with the cold, I would think McCarthy tried to keep his players fresh by practicing inside, all a part of his "rest and recovery" strategy that has worked so well (I'm not being sarcastic, it has worked well). But in this instance, the players practicing in the could would've been best.

Secondly, I think McCarthy/Sanders took the Bears rushing attack lightly. I mean I hope they did, because if they planned to stop the run and still didn't, it's something to worry about.

Finally, I read that McCarthy switched around Coston to LG and Spitz/Colledge to RG because of potential match-up advantages. Continuity works wonders, as McCarthy realized with the running game.

Basically, McCarthy WILL learn from this. I am sure of it. I'm happy the Packers got destroyed in a meaningless game, allowing the players and coaches time to get things fixed.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What ticked me off the most is the assumption that you can't pass in this weather...which is what MM assumed up until the 4th quarter. Beyond 10 yards, fine, I'll agree with that argument...but if you're throwing a ball ~50 mph, the trajectory is not going to be significantly altered over the course of it's 5-10 yard path. Just ask Kyle Orton and co.

Bottom line, though, this entire team obviously didn't give a darn about the game today and it was an absolute embarassment!

IGHPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think to effectively play in Green Bay and have a home field advantage it will require that soneone take a big padlock and put it on the Don Hutson front door about ther second week of November.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I think to effectively play in Green Bay and have a home field advantage it will require that soneone take a big padlock and put it on the Don Hutson front door about ther second week of November.

Do we know for a fact Holmgren practiced outside?

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stick with what got you to this point. Both of the recent losses happened when we got away from our short passes. With the cows we at least went back to that after the half. We sould have started doing that early in this game too. I hate it when we get away from our bread and butter. Brett would have got into a rythm if we would have stuck to the short passes on 1st and second downs then hand off to Grant.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Holmgren hated the cold and practiced inside as often as possible
2) McCarthy is still a young guy as a head coach and he learned some lessons from this game. You can bet on it. This guy is no fool. He knows exactly what happened to his team and will address it.
3) Cold weather teams have no advantage in cold weather if they don't like playing in it. The Packers were intimidated by the cold not the Bears and that intimidation caused them not to be able to stop the run all day long and not be able to stop the pass. The defense was pathetic.
4) Our offensive game plans was just that....OFFENSIVE! We had to be throwing some passes and Brett has played in difficult weather. That strong armed quarterback should have had the advantage. Again, I think McCarthy learned from this game.
5) Our punt game has been a bit inconsistent all year. Those are the guys who need to be outside practicing in the elements.

The key to the playoffs is to rejuvenate our defense. We simply have to be able to stop the run and the rush on the QB when forced to pass. If the defense plays well, we'll go all the way. If we don't play well it could be one and done.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GLOOM The DOOM, it's everywhere!!!!

Everybody needs to relax.

The Packers I do believe had more total yardage than The Bears, the problem being Pack could never get the ball out of their own territory.

Better a game like this happens now than in the play-offs.

Here is a suggestion to those of you who sre still dwelling on yesterdays game.

Go Enjoy The Holiday with your family and friends, stay away from this forum, forget about football for a day or two, then come back re-energized and let's start talking playoff football!!!!

I'll almost bet MM let the team go home for Xmas, and he and the other coaches are already going over yesterdays films, working on how to fix the problems.

Enjoy the fact Packers are 12-3 have a home game against The Lions then have plenty of time to get ready for the palyoffs!!!

45 MPH winds are not going to happen very often, so just forget about yesterdays game, it wasn't typical.

Always look foward, looking back wondering what if doesn't help a bit!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts