Lesson for TT....?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if 4-12 is a stepping stone to greater things.

if its not, then gm and hc need to go.

but judging the strategy at this point is stupid.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
digsthepack said:
Tom....the only big name FAs that come to mind in NE is Dillon and perhaps Harrison. The rest were mid-tier players very similar to the type of players we have brought in.

I think a good analogy of our current team would be our early 1990s teams. A few select marquee players, but largely devoid of talent. Right now, we are stocking up on talent.

Perhaps NE is not the best example of how to do it wrong in the NFL, eh? I think unfortunately, the "fast food" mentality of society has blinded some as to the reality of building a team. It ain't done in one year, people....and believe me....we had a lot of building to do.

digs, that's not what I meant at all.

"Fast food mentality", what the hell does that mean?

If you recall, New England had a very tough time last year and struggled mightily, and many thought that they weren't going to make the playoffs at all by midseason. It took a great effort by Tom Brady and Deion Branch to even get them to the playoffs, and then, once there, they were easily dispatched by Denver.

How do you think they are going to do this year if Branch is gone? Yes, they built a good team, but if they don't fill in their holes via free agency and start paying players like Branch their market value, etc., they are going to start to slide. As a matter of fact, they are sliding already.

Pittsburgh took many, many years to get to the SB last year, and they have lost some key players that were not replaced via free agency, or the draft. Imo, they will start their slide to the bottom now as well.

The Packers do not have depth or experience on their side (since TT has either cut it, or let it sign elsewhere), and this will show dramatically this year. I think certain people here have been seduced by the New England myth that they did it all through the draft because they certainly have not done so. Their "mid-level" free agents were signed and "kept", and they contributed greatly to the team. But now, since they don't have the same team, they have to change their philosophy if they want a guy like Branch, who will help them out this year.

This is vastly different from what TT is doing. Signing players and then cutting them without replacements in place. Where is the depth that you're talking about? Do we have to wait 5-10 years before it materializes? If it materializes at all?

Meanwhile guys like Walker and Al Harris(?), and who else, (Jennings possibly?) will start looking for greener pastures. You say that the Packers had alot of building to do, but they certainly didn't have as much building to do in '05 as they seem to have now.

Remember this, it is extremely hard, if not impossible to try and build a team completely through the draft, and this is exactly what TT seems to have in mind.

It's going to be a loooong season.

The difference between NE, Pitt and GB is that these teams built through the draft and some of these drafted players became stars. Once they reached the level where they had several star players in place they were able to use free agency to put them over the top. GB is not currently in this position due to poor drafting during the Mike Sherman era. We have one star.

If Hawk, Jennings, Rogers, Collins, et al. turn out to be stars and there are free agent available to put the Packers in a positon that NE and PITT have enjoyed for the last few years but they are not signed, then I will be mad.

Free agency is not a panacea for what ails a franchise.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont have to love TT to notice that he has a bunch of work to do.... and might need more than one or even two season to get the job done.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[

If Hawk, Jennings, Rogers, Collins, et al. turn out to be stars and there are free agent available to put the Packers in a positon that NE and PITT have enjoyed for the last few years but they are not signed, then I will be mad.

Free agency is not a panacea for what ails a franchise.[/quote]

And I believe that will happen. If A. Green isn't the answer we will pick up a running back. If we don't have a #3 WR we will get one. If the pass rush isn't what it needs to be someone will be brought in.

Those kicking GB around will then all be jumping on the bandwagon.

It's not like TT ignores FA. He signed Kamp, Green, Woodson, Pickett, Allen, etc. and he's not keeping the cap positon healthy for grins.

By next year we may very well be in position where a few players will put us over the top and I believe TT will then make the moves necessary. But we had to get to a place where we had all the other positions covered before it made sense.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4-12 with a future being built, or, 12-4 with a precipitous and protracted decline on the horizon? I go with the first scenario. Once this teams talent matures....and we do have a pretty good foundation..... this team will be in a position to maintain for a long time to come....provided the current GM is wise enough to select tomorrow's starters today. Once in that position, we can THEN select the key FAs to put this team over the top.

Just how it should be done.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
4-12 with a future being built, or, 12-4 with a precipitous and protracted decline on the horizon? I go with the first scenario. Once this teams talent matures....and we do have a pretty good foundation..... this team will be in a position to maintain for a long time to come....provided the current GM is wise enough to select tomorrow's starters today. Once in that position, we can THEN select the key FAs to put this team over the top.

Just how it should be done.

Yep and we are the only team trying to do that :roll:

I believe all 32 teams in the NFL are trying the same thing. They all won't be successful. Give me results......not "Ifs", "ands", or "buts".

So far results= 4-12 and no playoffs. HOPEFULLY, that turns around THIS YEAR...no excuses. I just find it funny how so many of you want to continually rip our previous GM (12-4,10-6 annually....., with playoff appearances) in favor of our current one. I think if TT had any kind of success TO DATE, you wouldn't have to keep ripping Sherman. It's a defensive position you are in men.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not here to get into the TT vs MS ********. You say I am blind to TT's shortcomings? No, not really...he is far from flawless, but in general, I like the players he is bringing in and the LONG-TERM approach he is taking. You want blind? How you do not recognize that he inherited a team as barren in both talent and depth as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboards is amazing, De.

That you and others should feel inclined to rip TT for something as ridiculous as cutting Mark "I don't like to hit and I especially hate competition" Roman is amazing. That is how far some have sunk!! Mark "Matador" Roman for Christ's sake.

Would I prefer to have a line devoid of 2 rookies? Sure. But short of breaking the bank on a guy like Hutchinson (which I am not inclined to do), I STILL prefer to bring the young guys up than settle for marginal FA talent.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I am not here to get into the TT vs MS b.s.. You say I am blind to TT's shortcomings? No, not really...he is far from flawless, but in general, I like the players he is bringing in and the LONG-TERM approach he is taking. You want blind? How you do not recognize that he inherited a team as barren in both talent and depth as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboards is amazing, De.

That you and others should feel inclined to rip TT for something as ridiculous as cutting Mark "I don't like to hit and I especially hate competition" Roman is amazing. That is how far some have sunk!! Mark "Matador" Roman for Christ's sake.

Would I prefer to have a line devoid of 2 rookies? Sure. But short of breaking the bank on a guy like Hutchinson (which I am not inclined to do), I STILL prefer to bring the young guys up than settle for marginal FA talent.

It's because De and others do not want MS held ACCOUNTABLE for anything. "We were 10-6 just the year before"! Yeah right. I never saw a season where one player CARRIED a team on his back and I doubt we will see it happen again in our lifetime. As hard as the "D" tried to lose almost every game BF was just too good.

"Our defense is fine, just fine. After all, we finished like 7th overall." Yeah right again. What a defensive juggernaut he left behind. We were bad and thin. We lose a guy like Harris off that "D" and we don't beat the Chicago Beatniks.

"Not having any guards or money to do much of anything with wasn't Mike Sherman's fault! Come on, that was TT's responsibility. Ummm Hmmm.

You know. There are times I wish they just left the guy there so there could be no fall guy. About now he would be up to his neck in alligators and nowhere to turn.

But then again I am a Packer fan and I would like to see us in the SB sometime in my remaining lifetime. So I nix the thought.

And De, I don't care if JC himself parted the water in Green Bay to both coach and GM last years team. With all of those injuries HE couldn't have gotten a whole lot more out of that team.

So put the last years record in proper perspective to everything that team was up against.
I highly doubt we could have gotten close to 10-6 the previous years with all those guys out. In fact, with that "D" 4-12 would have been a banner year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently, my last post was deleted. Please show me where I ripped your boy? Where did I say they should have kept Roman? Maybe then we can have an intelligent conversation.

I'm just pointing out facts and records. I've got nothing against TT and I'm sorry if you feel I'm ripping the cape off your superhero. The facts are the team is 4-12 since he became GM, for whatever reason. Now if he can reverse that then he will have a .500 record. Not too shabby. If he goes 4-12 again then he is 8-24 and time to be put to sleep.

This was for digs....as for warhawk, you haven't earned the right to debate me yet.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's a guy got to do?

Oh Well. I'll just stay behind digs, dekota, Trom, and, Pack and bide my time until I get my patch or pin or whatever it is I need to be allowed to speak my mind when it contradicts THE GREAT ONE.

I'm O.K. with that. They do a great job.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, sure...put others on point to take all the shots!! LOL

P.S. DePack...yes...all 32 teams do that......develop solid depth and future starters to make as seamless a transition as possible when change occurs......with the exception being the Packers from 2001 to 2004.

Thanks for dramatically making my point, buddy!! Have a great weekend. Starting the season at my buds with his brand new 92" projection unit.

Sweet Jesus!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
What's a guy got to do?

Oh Well. I'll just stay behind digs, dekota, Trom, and, Pack and bide my time until I get my patch or pin or whatever it is I need to be allowed to speak my mind when it contradicts THE GREAT ONE.

I'm O.K. with that. They do a great job.

It was a joke hawk......I was tired of typing after my response to digs...so that's what I came up with.

digs 92 inches....damn how many counties away to you have to sit to watch it? The game will look like a wall full of those "fatboy" stickies!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why you think our "young guys" have anymore potential than other teams "young guys".

You are basing your argument on potential which every player on every team has.Your argument could be used by the Saints, Browns, Cardinals, 49ers, etc.

You build a team through a mix of Veterans and Young guys. Young guys need leadership. These young guys are being thrown into the fire without having any NFL experience. This is fine, at one position, if you have a guy who is truly ready for that. But to do it with 6 positions at a time with late round picks who are very raw will result in a very sloppy team getting thier ***** handed to them.

This is why I feel TT is unable to build a winning franchise. On top of that I don't think his eye for talent is anywhere near asgood as some of you make it out to be. Collins is the only real contributor thus far. He also can't seem to land a FA of any kind. He has a history of bringing guys in and releasing them before the regular season. I guess we will see this year with Woodson and Pickett. If judging by preseason however, these guys look to be grossly overpaid.

Time will tell, at this point TT has been a huge letdown. I just hope that youuse the same criteria for TT that you used for MS when evaluating him. Apparently playoff appearances are not appreciated so it's Super Bowl or bust for Ted Thompson.

I have a feeling in about 3-4 years people will be begging for the days of a 1 and done playoff appearance.

Members online

Latest posts