LeRoy Buttler's Stonewall

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/story/Butler-hasnt-been-able-to-tackle-coachin?blockID=880633&feedID=5059
"The Packers think I want to be bigger than the team," Butler said. "That's not it at all. (General manager) Ted Thompson has my direct line and he wouldn't call me up and offer anything. I live in Green Bay, and I can't get a job with the Packers. I think I should be working there."
"I didn't even get an opportunity to get an interview," Butler said last year. "You don't even understand how depressing that was."
Butler had others in the league he thought could help him get a coaching job, including former Packers executives John Dorsey -- who is the new general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs and whom Butler called "a good friend" -- and Reggie McKenzie, who took over as Oakland Raiders general manager in 2012.
"I called them and didn't get a call back," Butler said.
I feel bad for the guy but I have no gauge on how he is as a coach so I'm not really sure what to make of all this. Plus I have a feeling that taking part in a story like this may ultimately hurt his chances of landing a gig because of the slightly whiny tone of the article, granted that could be attributed to the writer. Also, who wants an assistant/ position coach that talks to the media, ...outside of Rob Ryan I mean.

H

HardRightEdge

Not being in the Packer market, I don't know all the media work Butler does, but I do watch his weekly in-season web casts with Silverstein on JS On-Line ("X's and O's" and "5 Questions").

Butler is very candid in those web casts, and most everybody in the organization has drawn his criticism at one time or another. An example that sticks in my mind for some reason is one time, in 2011 I think it was, where Burnett got suckered in and the ball went over his head for a score. Butler commented, "he needs to learn the meaning of the word 'safety'". Ouch.

It's hard to go back to the light after going to the dark side as a critic in the media.

There's also the matter of former elite players rarely being hired into coaching. Kevin Greene is an uncommon exception. We could get into why that might be, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree that it's his role in the media that has soured his chances of being a coach. Publicly shaming them (intended or not) in the article above essentially torpedos his chances. Football teams don't do 180s in reaction to public criticism - unless we are talking about starting Tebow. The Packers will likely continue ignoring Butler's request.

After saying all of that, I've always liked LeRoy, even after he made us all pronounce his name correctly. He will always be one of the great Packers of the 1990s.

H

HardRightEdge

After saying all of that, I've always liked LeRoy, even after he made us all pronounce his name correctly. He will always be one of the great Packers of the 1990s.

LeRoy Butler was one h*ll of a football player. Being named AP All Pro first team 4 times ain't chicken feed. That's a solid NFL HOF credential. What wasn't to like in the player? I find him to be a very interesting analyst as well.

If one our current safeties played like Butler, I'd call him anything he wants.

Members online

Latest posts