Leroy Butler, why didn't he ever become a coach?

Reaction score
I've always wondered why Butler never at least made it as asst. DBs coach.

IIRC, there was talk of him getting into coaching a few years back. I also remember Leroy going to check out Nick Collins during his rookie season in Packers TC and coming away impressed enough to not complain about Collins getting his #36.

That shows he can spot talent, and more importantly having played the position he'd be able to offer guys like Collins and Underwood a few pointers. Plus he might be able to give Manuel some pointers on being the supposed QB on D.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember Havel talking about this on the radio. I think Butler just didn't want too. Perhaps someone will remember it better than me but I think Butler just wanted to lay low after he retired.

tank72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was able to meer Leroy last summer at some fundraiser at a campground. He seemed like a really cool guy who knew what he was talking about. I think he would be a good add to the staff to try to teach the dbs.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If memory serves, it seems there was a question of his desire to devote the time needed to excel at the profession, although he did hang around camp a little following his retirement in kind of a volunteer role.

I agree that he would be a good influence and teacher if he were to decide this was something he wanted to pursue.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I recall, he was more interested in raising his family than the grind of NFL coaching. I agree that he would have much to offer should he ever decide coaching is something he wants to do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to meer Leroy last summer at some fundraiser at a campground. He seemed like a really cool guy who knew what he was talking about. I think he would be a good add to the staff to try to teach the dbs.

thats interesting...i heard completely different things about him..but then again those things happened not in the public, more behind the scenes type stuff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts