Leroy Butler HOF

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What kind of chances do you see for him? Peter King mentioned it today and said he would like to see his case heard

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If nothing else, he should be put in for inventing the Lambeau Leap in 1993! :coffee:

I loved watching Butler play but the thing hurting him for the HOF is that he only had 4 really good years and the rest were just a little above average. But man in those mid 90's he was a force.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, ya know there's a player form the Lombardi years that should be considered....
:D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a lock for the Packers HOF and was inducted in 2007. However, I don't see him as having HOF qualities in terms of the league. It would be like getting Dorsey Levens or Ahman Green into the NFL hall of fame. Not dominant enough but played some really good years for the Packers.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, he should be put in for inventing the Lambeau Leap in 1993! :coffee:

I loved watching Butler play but the thing hurting him for the HOF is that he only had 4 really good years and the rest were just a little above average. But man in those mid 90's he was a force.
Not having a ton of players in the hall who only played safety can't help either

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Butler was a key part of the league's best defense of 96. His 38 career interceptions are only 1 shy of Willie Wood's. All Pro 4 of his 9 years. Had those teams won a couple more Championships he'd be a shoo in.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone remember this play involving LeRoy?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree here. I think there is a solid case to make for Butler, which mainly rests on being voted to the Hall Of Fame's All-1990s team, and his four All-Pro years (which, it should be noted, were consensus All-Pro years; for the sake of comparison, the only other Packers with four or more consensus years are Hutson, Ringo, Gregg and Davis). Those are the kind of accolades that put him way above players like Levens and Green, who will never seriously enter in to these types of HoF conversations. The fact that King has mentioned Butler bodes well for addressing the lack of safeties in the Hall, imo. There will be some stiff competition in the years ahead, namely from the likes of Polamalu, Dawkins and Reed, but I think Butler will have a decent chance at some point in the future. (They'll look at his sack and INT totals as well, obviously, and I wouldn't dismiss all of his other non-All-Pro/Pro Bowl years as non-factors. For example, he made some really clutch plays during the '95 season, and led the team in tackles.)

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I loved Butler during his time here to make the HoF with him being a Safety the player has to be an almost generational type of a guy with DPoY awards like Palamalu or Reed. Even Dawkins, who'd I'd put in before Butler, is going to have a tough time making it

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its called Hall of FAME, not Hall of Ultimate Stats. He made the lambeau leap famous and therefore should be in the Hall of Fame.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys Butler was great but when the best reason some people can come up with for him making it is "well he was the first to do the Lambeau leap", or even that people think that should be taken into account, then that should pretty much let you know he isn't making the NFL HoF

Members online

Latest posts