LeRoy Butler analyzes the NFC Championship match-up

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Jan. 14, 2008

LeRoy Butler
5 Questions

Former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler teams up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our weekly "Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature. This week, he breaks down what the Packers have to do to beat the Giants in the NFC Championship Game.

Q: How impressed were you with the New York Giants and what they were able to do to the Dallas Cowboys despite missing three players in the secondary?

A: They're like an injured animal. You can get a stick and poke it and it bleeds and then it breaks out of the cage and kills you. No cliché' intended, but they're like a sleeping giant. Corey Webster, covering T.O.? Give me a break. I would have wanted that match-up 25 times. But that pass rush was unbelievable. The last drive, T.O. was wide open and Tony Romo couldn't get him the ball. He couldn't get the ball off. The Cowboys couldn't protect against the Giants. They had guys running past them but they couldn't get the ball off. The Giants, I'm going to tell you something, Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan, they came to play. Umenyiora, that last 5 minutes, he was out of control. Can the Packers block those guys? It's going to be a challenge. If they go five wide receivers, he's going to get hit. If Brett can get the ball out quickly and makes that secondary tackle, then they're going to the Super Bowl. The other thing about the Giants that is amazing is that they've won nine straight road games. That is sick. There are so many distractions, but Tom Coughlin has done a great job.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always like reading anything LeRoy Butler says. Even if I don't agree with him (and in this case I do) he'll never give you the P.C. watered down B.S. response.

He's right though, their front 4 scares me, and Umenyora really did dominate the last 5 minutes...but still, it just means more of the "fab 5" 'cause as good as they are, they don't have the depth at corner now, and no DL can get to the qb in a second, which is about as much time as it takes to release the ball when we go 5 wide.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going five wide to me still doesn't seem like the safe thing to do... remember the Cowboys. In this situation, I like that U shaped set I think it was that they used against the Seahawks with the extra blockers.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
keep in mind that Romo very seldom went with the shotgun and when he did, the center took forever to get the ball to him. This gives favre more time and I think he will do fine. He can go though his progressions faster than Romo and will be fine.

We win by 14.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus, all this "9 straight road games" thing is over blown. Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo were some of those road wins. They got CREAMED by Minnesota at home 41-17 during that stretch. And some of those wins against poor teams were by a touchdown or less. I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned about them, just to me, they are WAY over hyped. In the playoffs they beat Tampa..........not exactly a powerhouse. And the Dallas game to me was Dallas playing poorly and the Giants playing at the top of their game.
So IF we play OUR game, they can't beat us.
JMO of course.

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have one hell of a coaching staff, and I'm sure they will figure out the best way to defeat the Giants.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus, all this "9 straight road games" thing is over blown. Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo were some of those road wins. They got CREAMED by Minnesota at home 41-17 during that stretch. And some of those wins against poor teams were by a touchdown or less. I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned about them, just to me, they are WAY over hyped. In the playoffs they beat Tampa..........not exactly a powerhouse. And the Dallas game to me was Dallas playing poorly and the Giants playing at the top of their game.
JMO of course.

Thanks Cheesey. Butler had me scared. Yes, we contained their pass rush the first game, but I've heard elsewhere that the Giants didn't figure out how to make it work until several weeks later.

I really think the key to this game is Edgar Bennett. He's been a Godsend to the Packers. It's amazing the job he's done with teaching our RBs how to block and pick up blitzes. He really doesn't want to see his old buddy take hits.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers went with five wideouts at all against the Seahawks, and I don't expect to see it much, if at all, against the Giants. We have two good TE's and two good fullbacks, which is perfect for playing these teams with good pass rushes. McCarthy can still go with four wideouts at times, as he did against Seattle.

More importantly, we have what very few teams have: High quality pass blocking OT's on EACH side of the line. This is huge. I think our offense will match up well against the Giants defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
cheesey said:
JMO of course.

Thanks Cheesey. Butler had me scared. Yes, we contained their pass rush the first game, but I've heard elsewhere that the Giants didn't figure out how to make it work until several weeks later.

I really think the key to this game is Edgar Bennett. He's been a Godsend to the Packers. It's amazing the job he's done with teaching our RBs how to block and pick up blitzes. He really doesn't want to see his old buddy take hits.

I agree with Butler..

9 road games in a road no MATTER who you are playing is tough to do..I wouldnt down play it..The Packers couldnt do it, and to win 2 playoff ROAD games is HARD to do as well..

Week 2 that D still hadnt figured out the scheme and Strahan wasnt even in game shape yet..

Dont be shocked to see a front line that is playing lights out..

Shotgun, short drop backs , draws, and pitches will stop the rush from them..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
JMO of course.

Glad to help Zombie!!!
I was nervous too........thats why i decided to see just WHO they beat, and by how much. They beat Miami 13-10, Detroit 16-10, Chicago 21-16, and Philly 16-13. Not exactly whipping the other teams, but squeaking by. Their losses were 2 to Dallas, the Packers, Minnesota, Washington, and New England. All the better teams (except for the Vikings! :wink: ) in the NFL.
Now, i'm NOT saying to take them lightly.........but if we play like we did last weekend, we should be in the Super Bowl.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Glad to help Zombie!!!
I was nervous too........thats why i decided to see just WHO they beat, and by how much. They beat Miami 13-10, Detroit 16-10, Chicago 21-16, and Philly 16-13. Not exactly whipping the other teams, but squeaking by. .[/quote]

Packers beat Philly by same score as well...

Packers... they squeaked by Philly but couldnt beat the Bears 2 times where NY was able to.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Glad to help Zombie!!!
I was nervous too........thats why i decided to see just WHO they beat, and by how much. They beat Miami 13-10, Detroit 16-10, Chicago 21-16, and Philly 16-13. Not exactly whipping the other teams, but squeaking by. .

Packers beat Philly by same score as well...

Packers... they squeaked by Philly but couldnt beat the Bears 2 times where NY was able to.[/quote]

What.........do you WANT the Packers to lose??? You just keep bringing up reasons why we should lose.
I don't know.........i have said not to take NY lightly, cause thats when you lose. I just didn't see any reason to look at them like they are the New England Patriots.
Yes, on any given day one team can beat another. We just saw that in Dallas. I just say that if we play like we are capable, like last weekend, we should win easily.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What.........do you WANT the Packers to lose??? You just keep bringing up reasons why we should lose.
I don't know.........i have said not to take NY lightly, cause thats when you lose. I just didn't see any reason to look at them like they are the New England Patriots.
Yes, on any given day one team can beat another. We just saw that in Dallas. I just say that if we play like we are capable, like last weekend, we should win easily.

Yeah I want the packers to lose.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Reasons I have seen the Packers will win...

Giants beat bad teams...Giants got creamed by the Packers in WEEK 2 You didnt even know who they beat or how they beat them....

I am saying the reasons people are tossing out there as to why this Giants team can't handle the Packers dont make sense...

did you know this Giants team had 12 sacks vs Philly,...how many sacks did the Packers have on Philly? only 1..So by saying that---- the Giants D is WAY better then the Packers...... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Packers will be able to handle this Giants team, but it wont be as easy as it was in week 2...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then.....we agree in the end.
On any given day, one team can beat the other.
Remember all the hype we heard how Kerney was gonna be all over Favre last weekend? How did that turn out? He didn't even show up in the stats.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember all the hype we heard how Kerney was gonna be all over Favre last weekend? How did that turn out? He didn't even show up in the stats.

I honestly wasnt worried bout Seattles D AT ALL..I had a feeling the Packers O was going to score on them..

I am WORRIED about this giants D

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
cheesey said:

I honestly wasnt worried bout Seattles D AT ALL..I had a feeling the Packers O was going to score on them..

I am WORRIED about this giants D

Seattle has a secondary, well at least at the corners.. Giants are weak across the field back there, however I agree with the pressure they put on the QB.. the line with Tuck in the middle and Usi and Micheal at DE is good. Plus the DC is a Jim Johnson student of blitzes.. he dialed up some dandies in Dallas.

Should be a good game..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts