Leave Jeremy Ross at KR/PR

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Randle Cobb alot, but there is something about Ross that leads me to believe he has the potential to be one of the better return man in the NFL. Where Cobb is quicker laterally you can clearly tell Ross in a 100 meter dash would outrun Cobb as he has some burners (4.39). If anything he needs to stay back there as the KR because he hit the seem full speed and is a big dude at 215 so he won't take the pounding Cobb does. Everytime he got the ball i was like just give him a seem because dude has some speed and burst! Maybe we should make him carry the ball all summer and turn him into a running back haha.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's pretty much the consensus.

Yep, but does MM see it that way? He's already stated that if cobb is healthy he won't take him off returns which i think is plain foolish at this point because Ross is obviously more than capable of handling the duties.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You've already said Cobb is your return man, gotta stick with him, but that doesn't mean he has to take all the returns or even most of them. Put Cobb out there for the kickoff, have him kneel, then bench him.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've already said Cobb is your return man, gotta stick with him, but that doesn't mean he has to take all the returns or even most of them. Put Cobb out there for the kickoff, have him kneel, then bench him.

This all reminds me of when Wes Welker was at practice and Julian Edelman was fielding punts and Belichick walked over to Wes and said "looks like you have some competition for punt returner this year" and Wes said "he can have it"

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all reminds me of when Wes Welker was at practice and Julian Edelman was fielding punts and Belichick walked over to Wes and said "looks like you have some competition for punt returner this year" and Wes said "he can have it"

lol would have said the same thing.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be considering ross as our full time option now.

MM: Ross definitely an option on returns. Can't ignore what he's done last 2 weeks

Harrison McCaslin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Randle Cobb alot, but there is something about Ross that leads me to believe he has the potential to be one of the better return man in the NFL. Where Cobb is quicker laterally you can clearly tell Ross in a 100 meter dash would outrun Cobb as he has some burners (4.39). If anything he needs to stay back there as the KR because he hit the seem full speed and is a big dude at 215 so he won't take the pounding Cobb does. Everytime he got the ball i was like just give him a seem because dude has some speed and burst! Maybe we should make him carry the ball all summer and turn him into a running back haha.

I like Ross at KR, and I think we should leave him there, and give Cobb even more time on offense. When Driver goes, or if Jennings, or Finley go, he'll be primed and ready to be the go-to guy all year long for Aaron Rodgers.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree for the most part. Ross has looked the part and his size-speed combo is perfect for return duties. But, my one concern in annointing him our new return man is whether we can trust him like we can trust Cobb. Cobb is a heady player - remember the Tennessee game when he made a kick out-of-bounds - and reliable. I know he had some issues dropping the ball his rookie year, but I don't recall any this year. Ross is light on experience. In a playoffs game, it's somewhat concerning having such an inexperienced player back there. Emotions and excitement will run high for him in his first playoffs appearance. Usually, that's not a recipe for success.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross is light on experience. In a playoffs game, it's somewhat concerning having such an inexperienced player back there. Emotions and excitement will run high for him in his first playoffs appearance. Usually, that's not a recipe for success.
I share your concerns. However, you can also look at the glass as half full. Young players come out of nowhere all the time to compliment playoff teams. Look no further than Starks in 2010. Young players can infuse a team with inspiration as well as jitters. It's up to the coaches to figure out what it's going to be and insert the right guys at the right time.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I share your concerns. However, you can also look at the glass as half full. Young players come out of nowhere all the time to compliment playoff teams. Look no further than Starks in 2010. Young players can infuse a team with inspiration as well as jitters. It's up to the coaches to figure out what it's going to be and insert the right guys at the right time.

I think the one difference is we don't need Ross like we needed Starks in the playoff run. We have a near Pro Bowl level return man in Cobb already. And I don't see much of a difference in level of performance between Ross and Cobb to warrant starting Ross over Cobb. The only reason we may not play him back there is for fear of injury. But, that makes more sense during the regular season. Playoffs are all about playing all out because you aren't promised tomorrow. Next year, when Cobb takes a much more substantial role in the offense - assuming Jennings (and his sister) are out - then it makes more sense to plug in Ross. But, I'm a little worried about doing so now when we have a proven player that already excels.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like Ross at KR, and I think we should leave him there, and give Cobb even more time on offense. When Driver goes, or if Jennings, or Finley go, he'll be primed and ready to be the go-to guy all year long for Aaron Rodgers.

Honestly, Driver doesn't even enter into the equation anymore at WR. Hopefully they can find him a spot on the sideline or front office after the playoffs.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't see much of a difference in level of performance between Ross and Cobb to warrant starting Ross over Cobb.

Oh I do. Ross is a more of a one cut, north/south returner while Cobb has a tendency to dance around looking for a hole too much for my taste. His punt returns tend to go for either 20 yards or -4 yards. Ross makes it a point to start heading upfield as quick as possible, and he has great acceleration. He's much bigger and tougher to tackle than Cobb, too. If the last 3 weeks are any indication, he could be a diamond.

Next year, when Cobb takes a much more substantial role in the offense - assuming Jennings (and his sister) are out - then it makes more sense to plug in Ross.

He has 80 catches, nearly 1000 yards and 8 TDs. How much more substantial do you expect his role to get with a roster stocked with receivers?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I do. Ross is a more of a one cut, north/south returner while Cobb has a tendency to dance around looking for a hole too much for my taste. His punt returns tend to go for either 20 yards or -4 yards. Ross makes it a point to start heading upfield as quick as possible, and he has great acceleration. He's much bigger and tougher to tackle than Cobb, too. If the last 3 weeks are any indication, he could be a diamond.

He has 80 catches, nearly 1000 yards and 8 TDs. How much more substantial do you expect his role to get with a roster stocked with receivers?

I agree with BorderRivals on this one, you look at the stats and think he can't do any better, I watched the games this year and thought to myself "wow, cobb could be an even bigger part" - I think that's what is fun to think about. How much better and more of an integral part of the offense he can be.

Also, if Jennings and Finley leave, or just 1 of them. If our running game improves next year (it can't get worse) then that will leave even more big plays open for cobb. It's exciting to think about next year. More exciting to think about us winning this playoff game this weekend.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross, Ross, Ross!!

Keep Cobb healthy. He is much more valuable to the offense. Ross should be the primary return man PERIOD!

It's a misnomer to believe he was injured strictly because he was on kick and punt return duties. That injury could have happened on any other play at any other time this season. That it happened while returning a kick is purely coincidental.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Ross is preferable back there over Cobb in my mind as well. Mostly due to if he gets hurt back there then it isn't a loss to our offense.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ross looked GREAT! I was STOKED to see how well he did. More than once he was just a block or a shredded tackle away from 6 points...it seemed anyways.

Also, with the emergence of Ross I also feel that Cobb should be focused on as a receiver primarily and also coming out of the backfield here and there. Cobb has been stellar and his speed makes him an AWESOME slot guy. That being said I REALLY want Jennings to stick around. Maybe I am just being nostalgic but I think he was a LOT more to offer the Packers. He is finally pain free and has been playing great.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Ross looked GREAT! I was STOKED to see how well he did. More than once he was just a block or a shredded tackle away from 6 points...it seemed anyways.

Also, with the emergence of Ross I also feel that Cobb should be focused on as a receiver primarily and also coming out of the backfield here and there. Cobb has been stellar and his speed makes him an AWESOME slot guy. That being said I REALLY want Jennings to stick around. Maybe I am just being nostalgic but I think he was a LOT more to offer the Packers. He is finally pain free and has been playing great.
Yeah but I want a healthy Cobb playing WR. As long as Ross ain't fumblin and screwin the pooch then leave him be.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but I want a healthy Cobb playing WR. As long as Ross ain't fumblin and screwin the pooch then leave him be.

Yea as long as he's catching the ball let him do his thing. The most important factor is gaining field position, Ross gave us some outstanding field position. When you think about it? He was 1 tackle away from having both a punt and kickoff return for a touchdown.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yea as long as he's catching the ball let him do his thing. The most important factor is gaining field position, Ross gave us some outstanding field position. When you think about it? He was 1 tackle away from having both a punt and kickoff return for a touchdown.
"Cobb would have broke that tackle" lol

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's hard for me to tell who is better but i wanna keep Cobb outta harms way. I never believed in keeping one of your keystones of your offense returning punts and kicks. It's too much risk for injury.

Members online

Latest posts