Leave it to ESPN to overcook something...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am a bonafide Packer and Favre fan.. but I think by the sounds of this plan.. I might not be able to hack the endless **** smooching that ESPN will be providing that evening..

Favre deserves a special night.. but my bet is ESPN will take it past the nauseating stage.. anything for ratings I suppose..

Then again.. maybe they won't let the crew talk and let Brett highlights fill the show without the mindless commentary... one can dream right.

Blanket coverage for Favre
Posted: June 12, 2008
SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

ESPN plans to turn on all the faucets on “Monday Night Football” Sept. 8 at Lambeau Field when the Green Bay Packers take on the Minnesota Vikings in the season-opening game for the network.

It has Favre-a-palooza in mind for the evening, because the Packers are retiring Brett Favre’s No. 4 jersey that night.

ESPN plans to send the entire crew of “Monday Night Countdown” to Lambeau for the game, a practice it has not followed since 2005, the first season ESPN took over the “Monday Night Football” franchise.

The show has sent a few members of its team to the sites of the games in the last few seasons, but not since 2005 have all of them been in one place in the regular season.

So in addition to the crew there covering the Packers-Vikings game, with Mike Tirico, Ron Jaworski and TonyKornheiser in the booth, the “Countdown” collection of Chris Berman, Stuart Scott, Tom Jackson, Keyshawn Johnson, Steve Young, Emmitt Smith and Chris Mortensen is scheduled to be on site as well.

That group is to provide two hours of pregame programming, starting at 4 p.m., in addition to halftime and postgame coverage. The game broadcast begins at 6 p.m.

Since ESPN is airing a second game that night, Denver Broncos at Oakland Raiders, the “Countdown” team members will remain on the Lambeau set nudging into Tuesday morning.

Mike Ditka, part of the “Countdown” panel, won’t be in Lambeau because he will call the Broncos-Raiders game with Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic.

In addition to the game and “Countdown” coverage, “Pardon the Interruption” and portions of “SportsCenter” before and after the game will originate from Green Bay.

According to ESPN senior coordinating producer Stephanie Druley, an ESPN traveling party of 14 is to visit Green Bay today to scout sites around Lambeau for sets, equipment and trucks. Druley oversees all of ESPN’s NFL studio shows.

This group was in Houston on Thursday preparing for a Monday night game there on Dec. 1 featuring the Jacksonville Jaguars and Houston Texans.

“I think the magnitude of Brett Favre’s retirement, the retiring of his jersey, is going to be such a big event, combined with the majesty of Lambeau, it was hard for us to pass up,” Druley said, referring to “Countdown” coming to Green Bay. “This was an easy one for us to decide to do.”

Druley said there were no plans to send the entire “Countdown” crew to any other game in the ’08 season, but said that could change.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they are over doing it at all. This isn't just another Hall of Famer we are talking about. Favre deserves his own channel.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. It will likely be a long time before ESPN cares much about Green Bay anytime soon, no matter how good the team does.

With that said, 95% of it will be about how bad the Packers will be without Favre. That will get old. Until kickoff and the world sees the greatness that is the 2008 Green Bay Packers.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I don't think they are over doing it at all. This isn't just another Hall of Famer we are talking about. Favre deserves his own channel.

Oh don't get me wrong.. he deserves a special night.. it is just to bad that ESPN has the broadcast.. maybe we should suggest a alternate crew for just this game.... :p

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. It will likely be a long time before ESPN cares much about Green Bay anytime soon, no matter how good the team does.

Personally I could give two pinches less what ESPN thinks about Green Bay.. Clayton, Len Pastabelly, and most others have connections that get them scoops... but for the most part there are probably 20 members on this forum that have more football sense than they do..

When John Clayton comes on the set.. I switch channels.. seriously. And he is in the HOF.. ESPN bought another induction.

Berman cracks me up.. Tom Jackson is excellent and Stink gives decent insight into items within the game.. but oversteps his place in the politics of the game itself.. The rest.. is nothing more the audio ga-ga..

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
maybe we should suggest a alternate crew for just this game.... :p
I agree. The crew should be:
-Melissa Stark
-Erin Andrews
-Rachel Nichols
-Jill Arrington
-and Bonnie Bernstein.

And the fielded Packers would still be over-shadowed because everyone would be focused on the "eye-candy" talking about Favre...

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a bonafide Packer and Favre fan.. but I think by the sounds of this plan.. I might not be able to hack the endless **** smooching that ESPN will be providing that evening..

You think it will be hard for YOU? Man, I plan to start drinking heavily on Sunday, just so I can get through the endless fav-re love fests on Monday...

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no doubt it will be a cringeworthy broadcast, do u guys really think Favre is comfortable having people swoon over him and so forth, ive never seen him relaxed in a press conference at all. It will be awkward viewing i reckon. :S

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

You think it will be hard for YOU? Man, I plan to start drinking heavily on Sunday, just so I can get through the endless fav-re love fests on Monday...

The mere thought of Chris Berman fellating Favre during the pre-game gives me the shivvers.

=Z=

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh geez. Emmitt Smith will be there?
I'll have to watch the game with the volume off.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Jackson is freaking great. When he talks I listen.
He wont drool over Favre, but will respectfully give him his due.

Berman will be about knuckle deep in himself the whole day thinking about Favre...
Steve Young and Emmit Smith will be drooling, but it wont be about Favre... Steve because of concussions and Emmit because he hasn't figured out how to close his mouth when hes not talking.

It will be a fun day. Im excited about PTI being in Green Bay. a great show set in a great town.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
The only solace I take is that Madden won't be there.

Good god.. can you imagine that... I wonder what word would be coined more.. Favre or Boom?

Maybe they will add him as a special guest. :lol:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
am i the only person who thinks Frank Caliendo's tv show is the worst thing on television.

I almost broke my neck getting to the remote one night while watching the office because i heard his show starting.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to some of the festivities we'll see that night, but it sounds like it might be going just a tad overboard.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"ESPN plans to send the entire crew of “Monday Night Countdown” to Lambeau for the game" ... "Mike Ditka, part of the “Countdown” panel, won’t be in Lambeau"

Say what?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only solace I take is that Madden won't be there.

I was just thinking the same thing.
Now I am agreeing with a Vikings fan? :shock:

Members online

Latest posts