league says Peterson should had been penalized

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from ESPN

The NFL's vice president of officiating addressed a number of debatable calls Wednesday after another controversial weekend, most notably saying that Vikings tailback Adrian Peterson should have been penalized 15 yards for removing his helmet on the field Sunday during Minnesota's 28-27 victory over Green Bay.
Mike Pereira also said on NFL Sirius Radio that officials correctly called intentional grounding against Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers earlier in that game. Finally, Pereira defended the actions of officials at the end of Monday night's game between Arizona and San Francisco.
As for Peterson, Pereira said he violated the NFL's rules prohibiting the removal of helmets when not in the bench area or during a timeout. Peterson removed his helmet at least four times during the game, but Pereira specifically pointed out Peterson's actions after scoring the game-winning touchdown with 2:22 remaining.
"I can't figure out why anything wasn't done about that," Pereira said, "but I will say this: It frustrates me that we didn't do anything about that. You can't take your helmet off either to argue a call or to celebrate. If you're in a timeout period or a measurement or a challenge, there are times when you can take your helmet off on the field. Or when you're nearing your team area when you approach the bench.

"But when you score like that, when you remove your helmet, you should be flagged."

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
Mike Pereira also said on NFL Sirius Radio that officials correctly called intentional grounding against Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers earlier in that game.

I agree 100% with the ruling of intentional grounding. Too bad the official call on the field was illegal forward pass. How did Mr. Pereira miss that one?

I'm the biggest homer I know and that particular play by Rodgers was a feeble attempt to avoid a sack in the end zone for a safety. Intentional grounding was the correct call.

In order for it to have been an illegal forward pass in that situation, Rodgers would have to be attempting a 2nd throw after a batted ball from a previous pass attempt during the course of that play. The ball had been knocked out of his hands by Kevin Williams before he could attempt a pass.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy that 15 yards might have made a field goal. Haha.

I hate it when calls get reviewed like that. Everyone knows calls should have been made. And they weren't. Move on, can't change it now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DonnieCash said:
Boy that 15 yards might have made a field goal. Haha.

I hate it when calls get reviewed like that. Everyone knows calls should have been made. And they weren't. Move on, can't change it now.

We KNOW that the game is over, we know that the score wont change..

however the refs screwed up and their boss admits to it..

Now tell me, if the refs would have called it, would that have AFFECTED THE OUTCOME?

know on freaking KNOWS..

But it did AFFECT the game AT THE TIME

My theory is that the Packers would have lost anyways..

Say they did flag it, they kick off from the 15, the Packers were destined to lose, so probably a fumble on kick return, or something..

OP
OP
B

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
millions are spent on players. Can't the NFL pay more and make the refs full-time, so they know the rules inside and out? The inconsistency of refs is causing me to watch the NFL, other the Packers I admit, less and less.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shoulda coulda woulda. pack lost the game, defense let him get a buck ninety two. nothing changes that fact. this team is too talented to be playing this crappy and im likely well on my way to developing a friggen ulcer because of it.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can only be sure of one thing...that penalty WILL be called from now on. The Packers had to pay a price for that to happen. IMO, anyone who thinks that Minny kicking off from the 15, and the Packers getting it around the 45 or so, wouldn't have made a difference, what would have been Crosby's chances from the Vikings 37 yd. line? That's the 15 yd. difference.

Members online

Latest posts