LB Clay Matthews Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Quarterback MICHAEL VICK of the Philadelphia Eagles, linebacker CLAY MATTHEWS of the Green Bay Packers and punter CHRIS KLUWE of the Minnesota Vikings are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special ...

Source: Packers.com

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews DPOW and other notes

Packers linebacker Clay Matthews has been named the NFC Defensive player of the week. Some notes, released by the Packers:

Matthews had four tackles, including two for a loss, a sack, two passes defensed and a 62-yard interception-return touchdown in the Packers’ 45-7 win over Dallas. Green Bay's defense held the Cowboys to just 205 total yards of offense (166 passing yards, 39 rushing yards).

Matthews leads the NFL with 10.5 sacks and is the first player in Packers history to record at least 10 sacks in each of his first two NFL seasons. The Packers lead the NFL with 28 sacks.

The touchdown marked the second of his career (the other was a recovered fumble ran back 42-yards for the TD last year at Minnesota).

This is Matthews’ third career Player of the Week Award and second this season (Week 2). He was also named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month for September. He joins Charles Woodson (four) and Reggie White (three) as the only Packers to be named NFC Defensive Player of the Week at least three times.

(His father, Clay Matthews Jr., was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week twice in his career with the Cleveland Browns (Week 12, 1984 and Week 9, 1991). They are the only father and son to win player of the week awards.)

~ Rob Davis, a former Packers longsnapper who evolved in to a locker room leader during his 11 years in Green Bay, has adapted to his new role with the team for the last two years after he retired from playing.

Besides keeping players safe, Davis also tries to prepare them for life after football by using education and training programs.

“We end our careers in a very untimely fashion,” said Davis. “There’s not a lot of lead up, like, ‘hey next year you’re not going to be on the team anymore.’

“There’s three guarantees in football that I know of: you’re guaranteed a signing bonus if you’re lucky enough to get drafted. You’re guaranteed to get hurt, hopefully not serious. And you’re guaranteed at some point they’re going to ask you to leave. So let’s be proactive.”

Davis pushes the players who didn’t finish school to get their degrees and uses a mentorship program he started called Each One, Teach One, where he partners a veteran player with a young player so they can teach the newcomer about life in the NFL.

Davis also looks for opportunities for career development by pairing veteran players with mentors in the business community for job shadowing and other training opportunities.

It’s not easy, especially during the season. Everyone is thinking football then. But Davis is always handing out information about opportunities and pushing anyway.

“This is an all-star league. And so there’s a sense of entitlement that goes along with being a star,” said Davis. “There are some personality traits that we try to work on.

“If you finish your career and you go out there in the workplace, you’re going up against everybody who may have more job experience and may have a degree and all you can say is, well I played for the Packers. That’s pretty cool at the water cooler for the first week but after that, are you qualified to help our company grow?

“We really try to encourage guys to get involved in their education, career development. Since we all have to leave and most of us don’t leave financially set for life, find another passion away from football and that’s something where in my opinion a lot of guys struggle and haven’t been able to do.

“So we talk about being a pro, being accountable. We tell them we don’t have time for fight songs. We told Clay Matthews, no we’re not going to ask you to cut your hair. We’re not going to ask you to sing the USC fight song. You may have to buy wings for the plane (author's note: I assume Rob meant chicken wings…) but we don’t really haze or anything like that. We don’t really have time, we just want you to get caught up to play. That’s coach’s position, that’s Ted’s position. That’s how it has always been, from an education standpoint we’re really just trying to drive home to get that degree.”

~ From former GM Ron Wolf. A few weeks back, he was talking about players he liked on the current roster. He mentioned Josh Sitton and how linemen, in general, do not get their due credit: “It's one of my pet peeves now that I'm retired -- there's linemen who should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Two guards, Jerry Kramer and Gale Gillingham. I mean, why they're not in the Hall of Fame is ridiculous because my definition of Hall of Fame is you have to be a dominant player of your era. Or dominant like Bobby Dillon when he was here in the ‘50s. These guys aren't in the Hall of Fame and they're putting people in that aren't as good as they are.”

via- jsonline

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
I LOVE THIS GUY! How awesome is it to have Clay *********** Matthews on your team? :

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Clay Matthews is working on his Defensive player of the century award.

FEAR THE PREDATOR!

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
I believe that this guy will not only get the DPOY but I believe that he will also get the MVP. (Well that is if they havnt already sent it to Peyton Manning)

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is... I'm almost positive he's not over his hamstring yet!!! WOOO!!! two weeks off and back to tearing O-line's up!!

On a side note, I think he's one of the most charismatic NFL players in the league. I haven't come across many, if any, that don't like or respect this guy!

Members online

Latest posts