Lazard Situation...

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was he not held accountable for it by turning a 48 yard fg into a 33 yarder as well as being ejected from the game? Like I said before Walker is a fckn idiot for doing that...not debating that

I still stand by the fact that the opposing team's staff should never for any reason put their hands on an opposing player. Unless they are helping their medical counter parts. In say a Damar Hamlin situation.

I also stand by the fact that playing in the NFL is just these guys job. And that fans shouldnt expect it to be the most important thing in a guys life. They're just trading their time for money like the rest of us...so that they can do things they enjoy with family and friends when theyre not at work
You're wrong and you should know it. If you don't, you might have anger management problems yourself. There was absolutely no reason for Walker to go off on the guy.

As far as the penalties against Walker, the yardage, and the fine, the penalty hurt the team, the fine was a pittance, and he should be suspended.

As for Walker himself, he has a history of doing things that are outside the rules. It isn't just twice here in his first year in Green Bay, but goes back to when he was in college. There were red flags in regards to him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Walker himself, he has a history of doing things that are outside the rules. It isn't just twice here in his first year in Green Bay, but goes back to when he was in college. There were red flags in regards to him.
Walker was a 22 year old rookie who habitually puts himself in questionable positions, leading to penalties, ejections &/or fines. He's immature and reacts on impulse rather than putting ANY thought into possible ramifications to his immediate actions. Every member on the team needs to stay in his ear to think before reacting until that becomes a habit. No reason to be milling around an injured player or along the opposition sidelines.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I still stand by the fact that the opposing team's staff should never for any reason put their hands on an opposing player. Unless they are helping their medical counter parts. In say a Damar Hamlin situation.
Agreed. On Walkers first ejection against Buffalo, it wasn't a Bills coach that he got up and shoved. It was Bills' practice squad tight end Zach Davidson who put his hands on Walker first. What he or others may have said or how Walker interpreted things when he got up, turned around and saw a Bill's PS player was involved, we will probably never know. Penalty on Walker? I'm fine with that, but an ejection? I do not agree with that.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're wrong and you should know it. If you don't, you might have anger management problems yourself. There was absolutely no reason for Walker to go off on the guy.

As far as the penalties against Walker, the yardage, and the fine, the penalty hurt the team, the fine was a pittance, and he should be suspended.

I most certainly do not have an anger management problem haha but interesting theory. I learned long ago anger isn't a productive emotion. I stay calm cool and collected

I dont doubt Walker has acted this way since his peewee league days. In fact I'd bet he has. But what does that matter ? He needs to stop doing it now. This is currently and has in the past been complicated by the fact hes looking like a star in the making if he wasn't he'd likely be gone already or never have made it this far in the first place

But lets be honest about what happened...he barely pushed the guy. Shouldn't have done it at all but its not like he laid the dude out or even pushed him like Davante pushed that canera man. Which wasn't right either.

Personally I dont believe a suspension to be warranted. However I do believe somebody on that defensive staff or team that he respects needs to communicate with him real clearly.

Maybe Jim Leonhard?!
To me there is a coaching problem there. That really hurt the team in fact Id have to watch again but I think that was Walkers zone where they completed the 3rd and 3 to seal the game. Should be obvious to never play zone in that situation but they did and had Walker been in there he might have made the play

D

Deleted member 6794

Was he not held accountable for it by turning a 48 yard fg into a 33 yarder as well as being ejected from the game? Like I said before Walker is a fckn idiot for doing that...not debating that

Walker's penalty and ensuing ejection happened following a first-and-10 play for the Packers 11 on which the defense held the Lions to a two-yard gain. Instead of facing a second-and-8 from the 9 the Lions received an automatic first down from the 4 and scored a touchdown three plays later for the final score of the game.

I don't care if the Lions trainer touched him there's no room for such behavior on the field when he should be well aware he's hurting the team. The Packers need to make sure something like that doesn't happen again moving forward, otherwise there need to be consequences for him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't (quickly) find the thread regarding his fine so will post it here. Lazard's $10.9k taunting fine against the Dolphins for counting the 3 defenders he crushed has been rescinded! Was a dumb fine, glad Goodell came to his senses & returned Lazard:s $$.

Reaction score
A friend, who knows his college history said there were problems with Walker that go back to beyond his days in Green Bay. Apparently he has some "flaws" in how he processes things in his mind. Maybe it's even anger management issues?
As long as he takes it out between whistles that’s fine!
Maybe calm down on the WWF body slam stuff tho! :eek: The guy is just real strong but he needs to reel it in a little bit and find some discipline. This isn’t backyard nerf football.

Attachments

• 8F005F10-8DB6-4F21-B733-5C754B39DCFC.png
    8F005F10-8DB6-4F21-B733-5C754B39DCFC.png
    402.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 101D3433-0C3F-4928-BCC9-081CD8E358DD.png
    101D3433-0C3F-4928-BCC9-081CD8E358DD.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 44

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as he takes it out between whistles that’s fine!
Maybe calm down on the WWF body slam stuff tho! :eek: The guy is just real strong but he needs to reel it in a little bit and find some discipline. This isn’t backyard nerf football.
Did that to a guy at a mall in 86.. He had a broken knee cap

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker's penalty and ensuing ejection happened following a first-and-10 play for the Packers 11 on which the defense held the Lions to a two-yard gain. Instead of facing a second-and-8 from the 9 the Lions received an automatic first down from the 4 and scored a touchdown three plays later for the final score of the game.

I don't care if the Lions trainer touched him there's no room for such behavior on the field when he should be well aware he's hurting the team. The Packers need to make sure something like that doesn't happen again moving forward, otherwise there need to be consequences for him.

Ah yeah I was mistaken...so the consequences were even worse

I agree it better not happen again

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting stat for how efficient Lazard is as many of us have claimed:

Per Pro Football Focus, Lazard averaged 1.61 yards per route run, which ranked 25th among receivers with at least 100 targets

Reaction score
Interesting stat for how efficient Lazard is as many of us have claimed:

Per Pro Football Focus, Lazard averaged 1.61 yards per route run, which ranked 25th among receivers with at least 100 targets
Good stuff.
let me guess he had exactly 100 targets? :whistling: To be fair they should’ve brought that number to include a bigger sample size. He’s still a pretty good WR, but with the 38th most targets his yardage output was 39th and yards per game was 38th. Had he played every last game he still would not have broken 900 yards. I’m not implying he’s not good. I am saying he definitely didn’t “exceed”expectations as our primary target. I’ve got him as a lower end WR2 area which isn’t a slight by any means. I am being a little critical of him because he didn’t rise to the occasion. This was his stage to shine and he had the setup to have a 1,000 yard season.

That said. I do think he’s a good athlete and good teammate and he’s a excellent value for being undrafted. He’s also a A+ blocker and you and I have both recognized that plus. He actually deserves a $10m area deal and it wouldn’t shock me if someone surpasses that.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff.

Let me guess. 25 WR had 100 targets. :whistling:
Just went and checked just for fun.

Per Pro Football Reference there were 39 players with 100 targets, but by my count that's just 33 if you limit that to just WRs. Lazard is at exactly 100 targets as well by their count

Reaction score
Just went and checked just for fun.

Per Pro Football Reference there were 39 players with 100 targets, but by my count that's just 33 if you limit that to just WRs. Lazard is at exactly 100 targets as well by their count
Thanks. Good stuff. Reliable player. I hope we can retain him. If not let’s go get an absolute Stud in this draft. If we could snatch Quentin Johnston I’d forgive our FO for letting him walk :)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at Lazard and see a reasonably good WR. He's not going to put up 1,800 yards a year. He's not that good. But, no matter how good a WR is, you have to evaluate the talent that's on the field with him. Is there another WR out there that will require coverage from two people? What are the routes this WR is running? Will you be able to control him with zone coverage, or is he going to need man coverage? Lots of little things that end up creating the actual results on the field. Yet, remember this, Lazard is not a game changing receiver, and probably never will be. He's good, but not great.

Making matters worse, the Packers did not show much else out there all year. We can talk about the good games from both Watson and Doubs, and be pleased with them. They were rookies. Next year, the rubber hits the road, and we see what they've really got in the tank. In the meantime, this season, any time Lazard ran a longer route, there was over and under coverage around him, making him a less likely target. He's not that proficient at winning those 50/50s. That's where Watson, and possibly Doubs, are going to excel. But, that's next year.

I'm not dissatisfied with Lazard's results. But, how do I decide what to pay him. I look at him as being mid-range, so that's what he gets, nothing more. He can walk if it will cost more.

In another system, Lazard might excel. Or, it is just as likely he will fail to even measure up to this year's standards. You just don't know until you plug these guys in, and let them work.

My guess? He's going to look the same, play the same, and be just average, no matter where he goes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lazard has turned into a decent WR for a guy that went undrafted in 2018, but there was a reason he went undrafted. He wasn't particularly above average at anything, until he learned out to be a successful blocking WR. He's still slow off the LOS, doesn't get a lot of separation with his route running and isn't much of a threat after the catch.

I think a few people here mentioned it, as did a few scouting reports, if he bulks up, he might be better suited at TE.

8 years ago, I doubt he even sees much playing time on that Packer roster. I think the only reason that the Packers would try to keep him now, is a reflection of just how incomplete their receiving room is.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, for a guy that absolutely “sucks” at getting off the line, getting separation and skilled above average at anything other than blocking - he sure as hell is one of the most efficient WRs we’ve ever had on converting 3rd and 4th downs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again, for a guy that absolutely “sucks” at getting off the line, getting separation and skilled above average at anything other than blocking - he sure as hell is one of the most efficient WRs we’ve ever had on converting 3rd and 4th downs.
Lol....nothing wrong with being average in the NFL, who said he sucked? When you have AR as your QB and you suddenly find yourself as his #1 target (33 more tgts than any other WR) , it's time to really shine. He didn't and it's probably why the Packers won't overpay to bring him back.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just struggle with the concept folks paint on him. He IS NOT a WR1...but the dude is far far better than a JAG WR which sometimes the narrative is formed on him as is all.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a few people here mentioned it, as did a few scouting reports, if he bulks up, he might be better suited at TE.
Lazard is 6'-5", 227 lbs. He really doesn't need add much more muscle/weight to be our receiving TE. Gute could make him the 15th highest paid TE in the league with a 4 yr/$33mil deal?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard is 6'-5", 227 lbs. He really doesn't need add much more muscle/weight to be our receiving TE. Gute could make him the 15th highest paid TE in the league with a 4 yr/$33mil deal?

Why would Lazard or his agent agree to consider him a TE for contract negotiation purposes

I just struggle with the concept folks paint on him. He IS NOT a WR1...but the dude is far far better than a JAG WR which sometimes the narrative is formed on him as is all.

Hes a guy who can be a 3 on a SB champion. How much is that worth per year ? Idk, to me 8 m per

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would Lazard or his agent agree to consider him a TE for contract negotiation purposes

Hes a guy who can be a 3 on a SB champion. How much is that worth per year ? Idk, to me 8 m per

So you view him as an inferior WR than to MVS?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You think he's worth $8mil as a #3 WR, but question why he should consider $8.25mil/yr switching to our receiving TE??

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you view him as an inferior WR than to MVS?

I mean thats a tough one, I view them as equals because I see them as guys who can be #3s on SB champions but for different reasons. MVS has the rare speed and rare speed gets paid, Lazard does not but he has things MVS does not but not as flashy type things

For comparisons sake...over the same 5 seasons

MVS 165 catches 2840 yards 17.2 per 78 long 15 tds

Lazard 169 catches 2236 yards 13.2 per 72 long 20 tds

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think he's worth $8mil as a #3 WR, but question why he should consider $8.25mil/yr switching to our receiving TE??

If he ends up back a Packer its gonna be on a 1 year prove it deal type situation. Similar to whats even more likely to happen with Tonyan. Ie they look for something better and dont find it

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can buy if your view of their weight or role for a team is a similar level.

Which FYI is $10M a year level in this day and age of the league crazy enough.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts