Latest Mock...this is far too good to occur

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20..._medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

Dear Lord this would be an amazing haul and value for it all...Gute did some amazing work last year...I am hoping it was a sign of his wizardry and not a rare occurrence. If he pulls this off or something similar, I will be thoroughly impressed:

The Packers first moved back three spots to No. 15, allowing Washington to move up and take a quarterback while getting a third-round pick in return. The Packers then traded with the Houston Texans, getting a second-round pick this year and a Day 2 pick next year to move from No. 15 to 23.

If the Packers are comfortable with their board, Gutekunst has the ability to create immediate and future value out of thin air, just as he did last April.

And the haul of picks was impressive:

1.23: EDGE Brian Burns, Florida State
1.30: TE Noah Fant, Iowa
2.44: LB Devin Bush, Michigan
2.55: S Amani Hooker, Iowa
3.75: OL Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin
3.76: DL Isaiah Buggs, Alabama
4.107: WR Andy Isabella, UMass
4.111: RB Justice Hill, Oklahoma State

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade with Washington seems about right and a decent possibility. The trade with Houston doesnt seem too realistic.

But I like all the players taken (but there would probably be better options available) and if the Gute pulled this off, he would be amazing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have seen Brian Burns mocked to us a few times and I am not overly impressed by the guy. While he has a few decent moves to get to the QB, he appears to sell out on his rush and would be a major liability against the run. It also appears that he will need to put on a lot of bulk to a 6'5" 231# frame to compete in the NFL against some pretty big OT's. For some reason I look at him and all I can think of is Jamal Reynolds.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Brian Burns mocked to us a few times and I am not overly impressed by the guy. While he has a few decent moves to get to the QB, he appears to sell out on his rush and would be a major liability against the run. It also appears that he will need to put on a lot of bulk to a 6'5" 231# frame to compete in the NFL against some pretty big OT's. For some reason I look at him and all I can think of is Jamal Reynolds.
A month ago I thought him to be a 2nd rounder. I dont think he will go top 12, but maybe in the 20s. He has a lot of potential and is a risk as you said, he may not be physically ready. But he is amazingly athletic and does a pretty good job at his weight against the run. Pass him at 12, but 30 is worth the risk.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A month ago I thought him to be a 2nd rounder. I dont think he will go top 12, but maybe in the 20s. He has a lot of potential and is a risk as you said, he may not be physically ready. But he is amazingly athletic and does a pretty good job at his weight against the run. Pass him at 12, but 30 is worth the risk.

I agree that Burns might be worth the risk at #30. His upside could be high, but so could his bust potential. Depending on what the Packers do with resigns and are able to do in Free Agency, that first #1 pick by the Packers may need to be an immediate starter and I just don't see that with Burns.

I just don't like seeing a top 15 pick used on players labeled "this guy has a lot of potential in the NFL if he.........", especially with what the Packers could potentially need immediately in the way of starters (OLB/S/G).

green&goldsoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20..._medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

Dear Lord this would be an amazing haul and value for it all...Gute did some amazing work last year...I am hoping it was a sign of his wizardry and not a rare occurrence. If he pulls this off or something similar, I will be thoroughly impressed:

The Packers first moved back three spots to No. 15, allowing Washington to move up and take a quarterback while getting a third-round pick in return. The Packers then traded with the Houston Texans, getting a second-round pick this year and a Day 2 pick next year to move from No. 15 to 23.

If the Packers are comfortable with their board, Gutekunst has the ability to create immediate and future value out of thin air, just as he did last April.

And the haul of picks was impressive:

1.23: EDGE Brian Burns, Florida State
1.30: TE Noah Fant, Iowa
2.44: LB Devin Bush, Michigan
2.55: S Amani Hooker, Iowa
3.75: OL Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin
3.76: DL Isaiah Buggs, Alabama
4.107: WR Andy Isabella, UMass
4.111: RB Justice Hill, Oklahoma State
Andy Isabella is the next great NFL slot receiver. Depending on how fast he can pick up the playbook, he could be an immediate replacement for Randal Cobb. I still think any TE in the first round this yr is a reach. We have TE's on our roster now that we don't utilize.

green&goldsoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New HC, new OC, new scheme. All bets are off.
100% agree.
But for Gutz...in his second year, he can't believe last yrs method will work every yr. Trading back when it's stars still on the board is dangerous. Jaire Alexander saved Gutz skin. Because Derwin James is a freak we could have had at a position of need. And we played around and let him get away.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the draft in general but am not sold on Brian Burns. Not sure why but I just don’t have a good feeling about long term value for him.

Reaction score
I began touting him 6 months ago. He’s a good value at #44 but him going top 10 is preposterous. He’s does have a high ceiling.. but he also has a low floor (think Datone here)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like the draft in general but am not sold on Brian Burns. Not sure why but I just don’t have a good feeling about long term value for him.
You and I have the same feeling about Burns at least at #12, can't put my finger on it and I have watched his "highlight reels" too, just something missing from him besides needing to bulk up. If he is still on the board when the Packers pick at #30, I might take a chance on his potential upside.

That said, given the cost of some of the top OLB's in the league, I actually would be fine seeing Gute double up on the position in the first round, in hopes he gets one future Pro Bowler and hopefully a second solid player. Currently, the Packers have nobody at OLB that I can say that I am excited about and while the potential free agent list has a lot of decent players, I don't think their perspective teams are going to let the top 3-4 (Lawrence, Clowney, Ford, Clark) walk.

Possibly the Packers best chance at a top FA OLB might be Tre Flowers or Preston Smith. However, when all the Franchise tags and resigns are done, both might be the guys everyone is going after and their price tags will be high. So by the time Free Agency is done and the draft rolls around, I think the Packers will still be in the market for at least 1, if not 2 quality OLB's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love the principle of the moves, but trading back for next year needs to stop. It takes the average player 2-3 years to excel (think Fackrell) and that just pushed resources into 2023. That idea was fine last year with all the coaching changes and acquiring a future first day selection, but it’s time to push some chips in now.
If we can use the acquired pick and package for a 3rd day 1 selection (three 5th year options with 2 being late day one) or 2 top #20 types that makes more sense though.
I don’t like Burns at #23. #30 is slight reach but reasonable, #44 and I’m all over him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If we can use the acquired pick and package for a 3rd day 1 selection (three 5th year options with 2 being late day one) or 2 top #20 types that makes more sense though.

It's impossible to use the 30th pick and end up with three first round selections.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's impossible to use the 30th pick and end up with three first round selections.

Not to puts words in his mouth but I think he means trade back from 12 to late teens early 20's and use the pick(s) gained to package with say #44 to move back up into the mid 20's and keep #30.

I'm not sure if we could gain enough to do it but I wouldn't mind.

Still, part of me says we haven't had a pick this high in a while (I know, 14 last year) so lets stay there and get a really good guy but another 1st rounder would be very appealing.

If we assume the Dolphins and Redskins will be taking QBs (not sure if that is a safe assumption or not) moving back to the late teens would still allow us a pretty good player. I think if either of those two teams are dead set on taking a QB though they are going to move up to get the one they want and not wait to see who falls to them. They probably move up past the Packers which means any team they trade with could potentially take the guy the Packers really want.

Reaction score
Where did I say #30? Trading back to acquire capital and then moving forward. We just did this in 2018.
E.g,
1. Trade back to #15 and pick up a 3rd rounder.
2. Package #44 and out #74 and that puts you squarely back into day #1.
Pick #15
pick #28 (second of three day one picks acquired from #44, #74 above)
Pick #30 (3rd and original late day one pick)
and then we’d resume..
Pick #76 (Acquired from trade back)
Etc..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, in that case my bad. I thought you advocated trading the 30th pick and somehow acquire two first rounders in return.
Oh I see. no problem. I’d either propose getting in the 15-20 range twice.. and keeping all other picks the same for the better part. Or if our primary targets are gone, trading back to #17 range and picking up an additional second rounder. I think it would benefit us greatly having 4 selections inside of the top #50 players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I see. no problem. I’d either propose getting in the 15-20 range twice.. and keeping all other picks the same for the better part. Or if our primary targets are gone, trading back to #17 range and picking up an additional second rounder. I think it would benefit us greatly having 4 selections inside of the top #50 players.

As I've mentioned in another thread I highly doubt the Packers would receive a top 50 pick in return moving back five spots from #12 though.

AyBee04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AyBee04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing Burns gained 20 pounds and measured in at 250 at the combine. Still ran a 4.53 with the added weight. At 6'5" and 250 that is scary.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing Burns gained 20 pounds and measured in at 250 at the combine. Still ran a 4.53 with the added weight. At 6'5" and 250 that is scary.

This was one measurable that stood out to me as well.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS latest draft has Bucs trading with Miami to draft Haskins before Giants, and therefore making Giants trade for Packers #30 for Lock. If it turned into the Giants 2nd and 3rd round, may be interesting move and plausible out of Giants desperation. But reference to post #14, if later picks take 2-3 years. I think it'd be more beneficial to as many high draft picks as possible.

D

Deleted member 6794

CBS latest draft has Bucs trading with Miami to draft Haskins before Giants, and therefore making Giants trade for Packers #30 for Lock. If it turned into the Giants 2nd and 3rd round, may be interesting move and plausible out of Giants desperation. But reference to post #14, if later picks take 2-3 years. I think it'd be more beneficial to as many high draft picks as possible.

The Packers might benefit from having the fifth year option with another first round pick down the road as well.

Members online

Latest posts