Last 9 years

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can point the finger at anyone for yesterday. Sam Shields dropped three picks, two of which would have taken a field goal and a TD off the board, but the defensive game plan was completely different with him on the field yesterday. Rodgers bounced the pass on 4th down, but he came through on the next drive to get us to OT. The defense gave up the TD in OT, but we would have never been in it unless they stepped up like they did throughout the game. The referees were pathetic, missing a clear offensive pass interference on the go-ahead deflected TD to Floyd and a clear defensive pass interference on the 3rd&5 to Abbrederis with 3 minutes left, but there were likely plenty of calls that also went our way and weren't pointed out by Collinsworth.

It's heartbreaking to suffer this for three straight seasons, but I'm proud of the way we played considering how banged up this team is. Abbrederis and Janis showed we are just fine at WR when healthy. I'm not sure why Capers started playing more zone coverage when man-to-man had worked fine for the majority of the game, but it once again showed that a coverage ILB is our biggest weakness. This team is so close, and I can't wait for next season to come.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would I mention the failed 4th down attempt when I'm not even talking about that? :rolleyes: I never said the offense shared no blame for this game. I was solely talking about the decision to go for 2 and why I didn't trust the D in overtime. We've seen how this ends last year. What the defense did for 90% of the game is so less significant at that point than where the offensive momentum for the Cardinals is vs. our defensive momentum, and at that point it was clearly pointing in the Cardinals direction.

As I just mentioned, the Cardinals had scored on 3 of their last 4 drives and driven into the red zone on every one of those drives. Tout the D if you want for the last stop in regulation, but other than the nice play by Shields it was your standard predictable clock kill run plays, which we should be able to stop.

We're 0 for 4 in playoff OT in the MM era. You'd think we'd get tired of that and play for the win at some point.

I am giving you the reason why I trusted the def over Rodgers.

One of those "drives" the Cards got the ball at the PAckers 24 (after the failed 4th down Rodgers bounce) the Def held them to 6 yards...they kicked a fg..Please do not pin that drive on the def....

That in my eyes is 2 out of 4...and one of the no scoring drives was an int..

So two drives were a FG, (one cant be blamed on def) one drive was a td..and 4th was an int.

Not to mention the offense looked like crap the last 20- 25 mins

That is why I trusted them over Rodgers on a 2 yard play.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, an NFL road team has only a 46% chance of winning in OT. Given the strength of the offense we were playing, im guessing our odds were worse than that. So it's already a bad percentage play to play for the tie.

It blows my mind that many of us (not saying you, weeds) seem to think that safe call = right call). The goal is to win the game. The goal is not to be able to go out in front of the media after the game and be able to wash your hands of everything because you did what most coaches would do.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am giving you the reason why I trusted the def over Rodgers.

One of those "drives" the Cards got the ball at the PAckers 24 (after the failed 4th down Rodgers bounce) the Def held them to 6 yards...they kicked a fg..Please do not pin that drive on the def....

That in my eyes is 2 out of 4...and one of the no scoring drives was an int..

So two drives were a FG, (one cant be blamed on def) one drive was a td..and 4th was an int.

Not to mention the offense looked like crap the last 20- 25 mins

That is why I trusted them over Rodgers on a 2 yard play.

#1 - Rodgers had just completed 2 of the most heroic playoff passes you'll ever see and you still trust the defense over him for a 2 yard play because of a bar pass on the previous series?

#2 - Rodgers is a HOF, best at his position player, who you trust with the game on the line. There is no one on our defense capable of elevating their game to that level.

#3 - I respectfully think your faith in the D is misguided...we saw the same song and dance in Seattle last year. It's a Jekykl and Hyde defense. When they're on, they're on. When they're not, it's over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
#1 - Rodgers had just completed 2 of the most heroic playoff passes you'll ever see and you still trust the defense over him for a 2 yard play because of a bar pass on the previous series?

#2 - Rodgers is a HOF, best at his position player, who you trust with the game on the line. There is no one on our defense capable of elevating their game to that level.

Your telling me the last 11 games, Rodgers has played like his normal self? He had flashes but not consistently even in this game...Over throws, under throws..-- not just the one bounce pass...

The hail mary was awesome, I never screamed that loud--- woke up my family

But tell me--was it more luck? Or was it skill to complete it? Janis was only one there with 2 defenders..I say more luck..But thats me.. The detroit one was skill as he had to throw it a mile and very high..

And yes, giving the reasons I laid out I still trusted the def..

You wanted him, I wanted def...We will never know

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn sums up the game perfectly: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-arizona-cardinals-b99651624z1-365548111.html

There's plenty of blame for the offense, defense, special teams and coaching. Shields' drop of a sure interception while we were still ahead with less than 4 minutes to go was critical, but even if he makes it, we need a first down to run out the clock, which is less than likely with this team. Bottom line: The team failed to respond when needed. IMO, coaching needs to accept much of the blame, since it happens year after year.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So we can all hate on Sam Shields now ??? Brandon Bostick will be able to sleep finally ;)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your telling me the last 11 games, Rodgers has played like his normal self? He had flashes but not consistently even in this game...Over throws, under throws..-- not just the one bounce pass...

But tell me--was it more luck? Or was it skill to complete it? Janis was only one there with 2 defenders..I say more luck..But thats me.. The detroit one was skill as he had to throw it a mile and very high..

Let me put it this way. I think the defense had a really nice season. I trust them to do a respectable job and be a top 10-15ish defense.

Do I trust them in a tie game with the entire season at stake? Not a chance. I'll sink or swim with Rodgers. As much as Rodgers has struggled this year, and I've been the first one to point it out, superstar players are capable, at times, of raising their game to a higher level with everything at stake. We saw it from Fitz in overtime, and we saw it from Rodgers. While there was some luck involved in that 4th and 20 and the Hail Mary, there was also a tremendous amount of skill involved. Few QBs can make the throws that he made.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The ball went where Rodgers wanted it to, but I guess it was lucky that we had a 6'3 guy with long arms who can jump out of the stadium there to catch it. I doubt the other receivers could have gotten up that high.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way. I think the defense had a really nice season. I trust them to do a respectable job and be a top 10-15ish defense.

Do I trust them in a tie game with the entire season at stake? Not a chance. I'll sink or swim with Rodgers. As much as Rodgers has struggled this year, and I've been the first one to point it out, superstar players are capable, at times, of raising their game to a higher level with everything at stake. We saw it from Fitz in overtime, and we saw it from Rodgers. While there was some luck involved in that 4th and 20 and the Hail Mary, there was also a tremendous amount of skill involved. Few QBs can make the throws that he made.

you wont change my opinion, and I wont change yours

We will never know-

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-bruce-arians-got-win-mike-mccarthy-learn-nfl

Scroll down to 'McCarthy's mistake'. This perfectly sums up my feelings about the decision not to go for 2.

We had at most a 40% chance of winning the game by kicking the XP, which would have been closer to 50% had we gone for 2.

The 40% is just a number the writer throws out based on how he feels.

Just looking at the article, his two examples of Arian's being aggressive are two plays that didn't' work at all and he praises Arians for them. That fade to Fitzgerald majorly backfield. Not a well written article to me.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 40% is just a number the writer throws out based on how he feels.

Just looking at the article, his two examples of Arian's being aggressive are two plays that didn't' work at all and he praises Arians for them. That fade to Fitzgerald majorly backfield. Not a well written article to me.

Yeah, the throw to Fitz was puzzling, but I agree with his general premise on the odds with the 2 point. Road team have a 46% success rate in OT. So at BEST you could say our odds were 45% if we put the XP odds at 98%. Still more unfavorable than going for 2.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to come down on one side or the other right now on this- good points can be made for going for 2 or not- but Barnwell writes a very good article and makes his points very well. Good read.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-bruce-arians-got-win-mike-mccarthy-learn-nfl

Scroll down to 'McCarthy's mistake'. This perfectly sums up my feelings about the decision not to go for 2.

We had at most a 40% chance of winning the game by kicking the XP, which would have been closer to 50% had we gone for 2.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
What makes this year's loss so tough to swallow is that it's the second year in a row that we lost almost exactly the same way to a team that we outplayed for most of the game.

I'd agree for the most part, but Arizona did play pretty well i thought. Maybe not AS WELL as some expected, but the packers didn't dominate like they dominated Seattle a year ago.

Members online

Latest posts