Last 9 years

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 OT playoff losses
1 last second playoff loss
a beating in the playoffs after a 15-1 season
a single superbowl win

I am so happy to have that SB win, and it is one of the highlights of my life as a 35 year packers fan, but this type of heartbreak has got to be up there with the early 90s Bills. To be sooooo good and see it just flitter away year after year.

I love watching my Packers play, and we have been so blessed, but it hurts more sometimes to see how good we are get crushed in an instant so close to the goal.

I feel like each time we lose, we create or break a record for (fill in the blank ridiculous record that has been there forever). We seem to create and find ways to blow big games/ leads, etc.

Im just upset about this game, but it is heartbreaking to watch this every year. The Lions Hail Mary was the best feeling I have had in 5 seasons, and tonight felt like magic was going to happen again, backs against the wall.

But instead, we are left yet again like a movie that you feel has a happy ending, but instead gets a crap ending just to remind you that real life doesnt always get a happy ending.

Ok, Im done. Goodnight all!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's frustrating to see the franchise squander Rodgers career. Tonight MM squandered a miracle by not trusting Rodgers to convert a 2 pt conversion. The chances of winning that game with a 2 pt conversion are better than the chances of winning in OT. Some fans put their hopes that next year will be different but unfortunately that sounds a little too close to Cubs fans for my comfort.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I hate to see a game come down to a Hail Mary, but the Birds were giving the Packers every opportunity to win and it came down to who wanted it more, and who could make the big play, on offense or defense....

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's frustrating to see the franchise squander Rodgers career. Tonight MM squandered a miracle by not trusting Rodgers to convert a 2 pt conversion. The chances of winning that game with a 2 pt conversion are better than the chances of winning in OT. Some fans put their hopes that next year will be different but unfortunately that sounds a little too close to Cubs fans for my comfort.

As posted in another thread, Rodgers has made his share of poor plays in playoff games too. The throw on 4th down tonight was a key one.

It's not all on the team around him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As posted in another thread, Rodgers has made his share of poor plays in playoff games too. The throw on 4th down tonight was a key one.

It's not all on the team around him.
Who came up big and who sh*t the bed when it mattered most? That's what these guys are paid for. Rodgers delivered, the defense sucked.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't deliver the drive before...

If the defense didn't make a big stop, he doesn't get the ball back.
OT came, as did a brand new game..And the defense let them drive 80 yards down the field like nothing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Why is it Mm was to blame with out knowing all the facts?

Very well could be MM, coaches, and Rodgers discussed it while the refs were verifying the td..In fact, I am willing to bet they did and they all came to conclusion to get xp...Maybe they felt the def was going good enough to get the ball back to offense..I know I had all the confidence in the def

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very well could be MM, coaches, and Rodgers discussed it while the refs were verifying the td..In fact, I am willing to bet they did and they all came to conclusion to get xp...Maybe they felt the def was going good enough to get the ball back to offense..I know I had all the confidence in the def

Considering the defense played very well, he should have had confidence in the defense.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
4 OT playoff losses
1 last second playoff loss
a beating in the playoffs after a 15-1 season
a single superbowl win

I am so happy to have that SB win, and it is one of the highlights of my life as a 35 year packers fan, but this type of heartbreak has got to be up there with the early 90s Bills. To be sooooo good and see it just flitter away year after year.

I love watching my Packers play, and we have been so blessed, but it hurts more sometimes to see how good we are get crushed in an instant so close to the goal.

I feel like each time we lose, we create or break a record for (fill in the blank ridiculous record that has been there forever). We seem to create and find ways to blow big games/ leads, etc.

Im just upset about this game, but it is heartbreaking to watch this every year. The Lions Hail Mary was the best feeling I have had in 5 seasons, and tonight felt like magic was going to happen again, backs against the wall.

But instead, we are left yet again like a movie that you feel has a happy ending, but instead gets a crap ending just to remind you that real life doesnt always get a happy ending.

Ok, Im done. Goodnight all!

Well if it helps a lot of us feel the same exact way right now.

It'll make that next Super Bowl victory that much sweeter.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had a lot of close painful losses, but I can't imagine it comes close to the feeling of losing 4 Super Bowls in a row.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes this year's loss so tough to swallow is that it's the second year in a row that we lost almost exactly the same way to a team that we outplayed for most of the game.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's frustrating to see the franchise squander Rodgers career. Tonight MM squandered a miracle by not trusting Rodgers to convert a 2 pt conversion.

This is nuts. If they fail the 2 pt conversion, MM would literally be getting death threats right now. Going for the XP was the right call, but I was worried about it since the announcers kept saying all game how Crosby was perfect on XPs all year.

Bouncing a 10 yard pass like that is not something a "greatest QB" would do. It's analogous to a basketball player shooting an airball on a free throw.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers' recent playoff history reminds me of the movie "Groundhog Day."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608498-larry-fitzgerald-rips-off-75-yard-catch-with-lethal-stiff-arm-scores-winning-td#

Who do the Packers think they are?

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is nuts. If they fail the 2 pt conversion, MM would literally be getting death threats right now. Going for the XP was the right call, but I was worried about it since the announcers kept saying all game how Crosby was perfect on XPs all year.

Bouncing a 10 yard pass like that is not something a "greatest QB" would do. It's analogous to a basketball player shooting an airball on a free throw.

And if Crosby missed the XP he'd be getting death threats right now. Do what you feel gives you the best shot at winning, don't do something to appease the masses. MM has more than enough tenure and job security to make that call.

If you look at the percentages it's not nuts at all. It's about a 50/50 shot, (Packers are 4 of 6 this year), which at best is you shot in OT and worse if you don't win the toss.

Look at the game situation, you're a big underdog, ask yourself if you really want to go toe to toe with these guys for one more quarter. You have a HOF QB and your defense is facing the #1 offense in the NFL. For the love of God don't just make a move because conventional wisdom says you should.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is following in the footsteps of Marty Schottenheimer, under whom he got his NFL coaching start with Kansas City in the 1990's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Schottenheimer

http://www.footballinsiders.com/marty-schottenheimer-and-his-coaching-tree-of-woe/

While MM does have one Super Bowl win - One - doesn't this look familiar to Packers' fans?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000500846/Chiefs-Colts-1995-playoff-game-Lin-Elliott-missed-FG
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250108024

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Really? I wasn't surprised at all by the OT result. Arizona had the #1 offense in the NFL, they had reached the redzone on 4 straight drives and scored on 3 of 4 going into OT. It was clear they had adjusted and were moving the ball on our D.

I would have trusted Rodgers for 2 yards on one play a lot more than I trusted that our D was going to make a stop.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
OT came, as did a brand new game..And the defense let them drive 80 yards down the field like nothing.

Thing is, the Cards DIDN'T DRIVE right down the field. It was one broken play and that's all it takes--someone, one player, NOT doing what they were supposed to. ONE play.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have trusted Rodgers for 2 yards on one play a lot more than I trusted that our D was going to make a stop.

The def played outstanding vs the #1 or #2 offense 99% of the game..Even near the end, Packers failed on a 4th down, and gave them the ball on a short field....The def had to hold to a FG and they did.

But lets not mention the failed 4th down att by the offense, only blame the def

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah Adam, I'm not so sure. I'd have taken the tie as well. Could you imagine the calls for McCarthy's head after a failed two point conversion in a playoff scenario?? I'd have said -- "Yeah, admire his guts...his intestinal fortitude...his nerve...ballsy call. Now, fire the damned roundhead."

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The def played outstanding vs the #1 or #2 offense 99% of the game..Even near the end, Packers failed on a 4th down, and gave them the ball on a short field....The def had to hold to a FG and they did.

But lets not mention the failed 4th down att by the offense, only blame the def

Why would I mention the failed 4th down attempt when I'm not even talking about that? :rolleyes: I never said the offense shared no blame for this game. I was solely talking about the decision to go for 2 and why I didn't trust the D in overtime. We've seen how this ends last year. What the defense did for 90% of the game is so less significant at that point than where the offensive momentum for the Cardinals is vs. our defensive momentum, and at that point it was clearly pointing in the Cardinals direction.

As I just mentioned, the Cardinals had scored on 3 of their last 4 drives and driven into the red zone on every one of those drives. Tout the D if you want for the last stop in regulation, but other than the nice play by Shields it was your standard predictable clock kill run plays, which we should be able to stop.

We're 0 for 4 in playoff OT in the MM era. You'd think we'd get tired of that and play for the win at some point.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Adam, I'm not so sure. I'd have taken the tie as well. Could you imagine the calls for McCarthy's head after a failed two point conversion in a playoff scenario?? I'd have said -- "Yeah, admire his guts...his intestinal fortitude...his nerve...ballsy call. Now, fire the damned roundhead."

I had no confidence we'd win in OT. We were the heavy underdogs and I didn't want to keep going toe to toe with these guys. I felt like that was our playoff moment to go out there and say we're either going to win this or lose this right now.

I can't guarantee we would have made the 2 pt, but I would have felt much better about it, and I would have been ok with sinking or swimming with it either way.

I acknowledge that it would have been the subject of controversy for years to come if it didn't work, but I hate that season deciding moments have decisions come into play that are concerned with what the media and fans will say about it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had a lot of close painful losses, but I can't imagine it comes close to the feeling of losing 4 Super Bowls in a row.

As always, "somebody else has it worse" doesn't ring true with me. The Pack is my team, so their crushing defeats are the only ones that matter. It's fun to poke the Bills and Vikings fans for their heart-breakers, the Browns and Jaguars for their long, miserable records, but it doesn't do a thing to ease the pain for a (this) Packer fan.

Tom A

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense didn't let the Cardinals 'drive' down the field in OT -- one big 75-yard play followed by the five-yard shovel pass for a TD. That's not driving down the field...it's just a gut punch for us Packers fans.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I had no confidence we'd win in OT. We were the heavy underdogs and I didn't want to keep going toe to toe with these guys. I felt like that was our playoff moment to go out there and say we're either going to win this or lose this right now.

I can't guarantee we would have made the 2 pt, but I would have felt much better about it, and I would have been ok with sinking or swimming with it either way.

I acknowledge that it would have been the subject of controversy for years to come if it didn't work, but I hate that season deciding moments have decisions come into play that are concerned with what the media and fans will say about it.

I don't disagree with your take at all. I would have opted for the point after because I wanted the entire outcome to hing on a g-d coin flip.... hahahaha... this one is just a no winner and for a guy like me that's like lancing a boil. ;)

Members online

Latest posts