Larry McCarren on Play-calling

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an excerpt from Larry McCarren's Thursday night chat on Packersnews.com:

Gordie, Pierre, SD: Larry, Thanks for the chats. Always enjoy your observations. Having watched Sherman's play calling and game management thru his entire tenure and McCarthy for only 4 games, are there any clear differences in strengths and style between the two coaches that you can identify at this point?

LM: I understand your question but I don't think I understand my own answer. It's seems like Mike McCarthy has, for a lack of a better word, a good rhythm to his play calling. Has a good feel for it. I should also add that I didn't have any problem with the way Mike Sherman called a game. His offenses piled up a lot of yards and scored a lot of points. Bottom line though, there's very few calls that won't work if players execute, and that's why I'm more into how people play, rather than what play is called.

I agree with Larry on this one. I think fans in general make way too big a deal about play-calling, because it's so easy to pick it apart after the fact. If a coach called a play that didn't work, it's too easy to come up with an imaginary play and claim that it would've worked. There is good play-calling and there is bad play-calling, but with few exceptions, the difference between the two is not as great as many people think.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see both sides, but I was getting a little tired of seeing the shovel pass to Fisher on third-and-long...

coloradopackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea is to call something that the defense isn't expecting or that they don't match up against.

That's called, strategy.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
However as Larry said, if players do their jobs, all plays will work.

That's called execution.

that's not true, if the defense makes a play it isn't' necessarily because some offensive player didn't do his job.

You can't win without good playcalling, calling the right plays for the situation etc.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
that's not true, if the defense makes a play it isn't' necessarily because some offensive player didn't do his job.

I disagree. If offensive players do their jobs, defensive players can't make plays.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lombardi used to say that you should be able to tell the defense the next play that you're going to run, and still gain 3-4 yards everytime. Execution is more important than what is called.

Who cares what was called...if you miss a block, trip, drop the ball, etc. the play won't work

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, I like McCarthy's play calling more than shermans. I do wonder, however, when it is that we're going to attempt to establish a running game.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our running game has been pretty anemic to this point. Passing has moved the ball and kept us in games for the most part...stick w/ what works rather than trying to force some identity.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think anyone can fully know weather a play is "good" or not. Obviously there are some acceptions to that. 3 & 25 and we throw a swing pass or a shovel pass. Just doesnt seem to add up. As for normal plays I dont think we as fans know engouh about whats going on down on the field.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said this all along...if the players execute, it's a good call and vice versa...I don't care how good a call you make if the players don't execute, it sucks.

I will be 100% honest. So far I see no difference in the play calling from Sherman to McCarthy.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent point agopackgo4 how are we supposed to know how a play was supposed to be run? Maybe an inside run was called, but the tackle slips, so the rb has to improv to the outside and the run looks like $hit...we can't know that!

As DePack said...if you execute properly, the majority of the time, the called play should be successful!

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
I dont think anyone can fully know weather a play is "good" or not. Obviously there are some acceptions to that. 3 & 25 and we throw a swing pass or a shovel pass. Just doesnt seem to add up. As for normal plays I dont think we as fans know engouh about whats going on down on the field.

Actually, calling a swing pass, shovel pass, or draw play on 3rd and 25 is fairly standard across the entire NFL. The idea is to gain a few yards instead of risking a sack or turnover. I hate when my team does it, but I see other teams do it all the time.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play calling has never been a big issue with me, regardless of if it was Sherman/Rossley calling the plays or McCarthy/Jags. To me, the proof is in the final results.

Good play callers adapt their calls to the talent of the players they have to work with, bad play callers don't. The win/loss column is generally a good indicator of how effective the plays are that are being called.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In baseball a pitcher that can keep the hitter wondering what is coming is always going to have the advantage, especially if he can throw strikes. In football an offense that can execute what it does will be pretty effective, but an offense that can execute and keep the defense wondering what will come next is going to score a lot of points. Most defense (ours appears to be the exception) that know what's coming will defend it and stop the offense almost every time. Sherman's offense became predictable.

Members online