Larry Beightol

sandman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Lion's fan and I see the Lion's just hired this guy has o-line coach is this a good hire? The other rumor is Rossley m ay be hired has O-cord if Mike Martz turns down the job. Is Rossely any good? I seem to remember Sherman taking over play calling was it because of Rossely's health or lack of confidence in Tom?

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beightol is a great hire. Have watched him at practices. A players coach who brings intensity.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sandman said:
I'm a Lion's fan and I see the Lion's just hired this guy has o-line coach is this a good hire? The other rumor is Rossley m ay be hired has O-cord if Mike Martz turns down the job. Is Rossely any good? I seem to remember Sherman taking over play calling was it because of Rossely's health or lack of confidence in Tom?

Beightol is fantastic...excellent hire. damn.

Sherman took over the play-calling 2 seasons ago because of Rossley's health at the time, heart complications i believe. he finished out the playcalling for the rest of year and the offense looked much sharper (except in the playoffs :x). before this last season started Sherman said he would most likely be calling the plays, but those duties could be shared later on in the season...so i don't know who called the games in '05.

regardless, Martz pulled out of the Raider job so i think he'll be OC'ing in Detroit this year. Rossley is a real gem though...tell Millen to take a hard look at him man! :wink:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
sandman said:

Beightol is fantastic...excellent hire. damn.

Sherman took over the play-calling 2 seasons ago because of Rossley's health at the time, heart complications i believe. he finished out the playcalling for the rest of year and the offense looked much sharper (except in the playoffs :x). before this last season started Sherman said he would most likely be calling the plays, but those duties could be shared later on in the season...so i don't know who called the games in '05.

regardless, Martz pulled out of the Raider job so i think he'll be OC'ing in Detroit this year. Rossley is a real gem though...tell Millen to take a hard look at him man! :wink:

that wasnt 2 seasons ago was it? yeah...it was. shermans play calling was credited for us making the playoffs, even though it was really just the vikings choking. man....last year was a bad year. i wish it could be stricken from the record.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beightol is top O line coach in country. Look at guys like Tauscher, Wahle, Rivera that he turned into all pro's from second day draft picks. I was praying we would at least keep him and Bates and we lost both.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beightol seemed like an excellent O-line coach.

I'm not as down on Rossley as most people, but I'm not exactly a fan of his either. He and Sherman shared play-calling duties most of the time they were here, but as head coach Sherman probably overruled Rossley in lots of situations, so it's impossible to tell exactly what Rossley did. Sherman always said that Rossley called the same plays that he would've called anyway.

The bottom line is that the play-calling was okay during the Sherman-Rossley era, but not spectacular by any means. You would be MUCH better off with Mike Martz.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beightol is a very solid hire...he often gets in the face of players and is known as being a "yeller and a screamer". Many of the O-Lineman joke about his style and look at pulling the key points of his tirades. He developed a few late round picks for the Packers. My guess is that the Lions will be happy with him.

As for Rossley, he sucks. Period.

Members online

Latest posts