1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Larry Allen Released

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Packersfan43084, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Packersfan43084

Packersfan43084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    this is the reason TT didnt blow his monetary load like the vikes did. Teams will cut people(now, and in June) and sometimes there is a nugget of greatness in there. Allen is a bit old, but like you said,packersfan, if the price is right, thats a good pickup.

3. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To old, slow, and a bad attitude. not really packer material!

4. fvre4mvp

fvre4mvp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The man is a brickwall. I don't know if anyone saw him at the skills competition but he put up 225 like 40 -45 times. Guys didn't even try to beat him but they couldn't. I think a 1-2 year contract would be good.

5. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What good is strength if the wheels are shot? I have a hard time believing that guy, at his weight and the duration of his career, can have much left in his legs.

6. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

If he has only one leg left he would be better than what we have slated at guard right now. I say bring him in, give him a physical. If he passes tkae a shot. I'm amazed at how long some of these O-lineman can play. You're right digs....they carry so much weight and take a beating. It's amazing what cortisone shots can do!

7. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He's not athletic enough in my opinion to play the zone blocking scheme that we'll be running from now on.

8. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I think it could be a win-win deal. It would give BF a little confidence that the line would be improved and it would give added incentive for Allen as a blocker for Brett. No way he would allow anybody he is responsible for to get to Favre.
    It may be that in this zone scheme where he wouldn't be asked to pull it would work for him.

9. tabojc03

tabojc03 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i believe the Lions are going to push to sign him, probably overpay him...typical Matt Millen move....his weight might be too much of a problem for TT.....

10. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Too old and I believe zone blocking requires more agile OL then Allen is.

For the right price though, he wouldn't hurt the team.

11. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    eh, maybe we should wait till june and teams drop people..i dunno. cuz he IS old and hurty...

12. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    trom, I'm looking forward to June since we will have money but my fear is that not as many people will be released since the cap increased so much. The increase in cap really let a lot of teams off the hook.

13. TheStone

TheStone Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    He's old, which is not inevitably bad for a lineman.

But he is old AND will be overpaid as most of the older free-agents are.
    Especially when they were stand-outs.

Stay away :!:

14. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a good point that you have brought up DePack.

With the increase in the cap there may not be as many quality players released.

I guess we will just have to stay tuned and hope for the best!

I have had the hope that Teddy was holding money back figuring that there would be better investments as teams cut down than there has been in free agency. If that is part of his plan let's all hope it works out.

15. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds as though he's a few days away from signing with the San Francisco 49ers.....

16. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I am talking about waiting for positions which there are no good FAs in (guard, and WR mostly)

spending a lot of money on larry allen doesnt make sense, but if a good,solid,young guard is cut in june...then THAT makes sense.

im not saying dont spend a time till june. im not saying THAT.