Lang calls out Rodgers

H

HardRightEdge

Baranczyk assumed there might have been other instances of receivers being open with Rodgers throwing the ball somewhere else.
I repeat, you really want to make that argument? He "assumed" there might be "other instances"?

Assuming more instances without actually seeing them is pretty silly.

The fact this is not an instance, given the primary routes were messed up and the pocket was collapsing as noted above which calls into question the entire thesis.

While I would not disagree that Rodgers and this offense are off their game (who could disagree?), the example presented is a poor one to make the argument that the problem is with Rodgers. It better serves to make the argument that the rest of the team is not executing.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Currently I believe the defense is the unit more capable of overcoming their shortcomings in the secondary than the offense as long as Rodgers and the coaching staff don't change their approach.
I wouldn't count out this offense quite yet. The field position issue can't be overlooked. The more conservative approach many advocate has been in play in the early series deep on Packers territory, which has been frequent, and it has not been very productive. Obviously, the intent is to avoid the turnover in that position, even more so than the overall emphasis on Job #1: don't turn it over, win the turnover battle. This is where the offense is most predictable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I repeat, you really want to make that argument? He "assumed" there might be "other instances"?

Assuming more instances without actually seeing them is pretty silly.

The fact this is not an instance, given the primary routes were messed up and the pocket was collapsing as noted above which calls into question the entire thesis.

While I would not disagree that Rodgers and this offense are off their game (who could disagree?), the example presented is a poor one to make the argument that the problem is with Rodgers. It better serves to make the argument that the rest of the team is not executing.

It seems you didn't read my entire post as I clearly stated that after watching the coaches film of the Vikings game Baranczyk was right about Rodgers not throwing to open receivers on several other occasions as well.

H

HardRightEdge

It seems you didn't read my entire post as I clearly stated that after watching the coaches film of the Vikings game Baranczyk was right about Rodgers not throwing to open receivers on several other occasions as well.
I read your post all the way through. When singling out one play as an example, and that example does not illustrate the point, then the thesis is doubtful. That whole "assumption" thing is silly

Perhaps I'll review the MIN coaches tape. I'm not going to take your word for it; that would be an equally silly assumption.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a couple of other alternatives. The rest of the offense executes better. Or the defense actually wins some games from time to time.
There is another alternative as well.... We are not there yet.... But benching him for a game should be on the table.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the wrangling over whether it's Rodgers throwing off the offense or if it's the coaches ******** it up. If Rodgers isn't doing what he should be doing then that's ALSO on the coaches! Change the offense to help Rodgers accomplish what he wants or start designing plays that have specific designs that limit Rodgers' chances to mess up plays...or, y'know, COACH and fix the problems (whether that's with the offense, abandoning the run or Rodgers messing up)!

Reaction score
I don't understand the wrangling over whether it's Rodgers throwing off the offense or if it's the coaches ******** it up. If Rodgers isn't doing what he should be doing then that's ALSO on the coaches! Change the offense to help Rodgers accomplish what he wants or start designing plays that have specific designs that limit Rodgers' chances to mess up plays...or, y'know, COACH and fix the problems (whether that's with the offense, abandoning the run or Rodgers messing up)!
Exactly. I was just throwing out an idea when I proposed more short 5 yard passes earlier in the game and earlier in the downs. I know this initially sounds contrary to the stat line of YPC and bringing that # up. But we need to crawl before we run

D

Deleted member 6794

There is another alternative as well.... We are not there yet.... But benching him for a game should be on the table.

There's absolutely no reason to bench Rodgers.

The coaches aren't responsible for Rodgers turning the ball over or ignoring open receivers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason to bench Rodgers.

The coaches aren't responsible for Rodgers turning the ball over or ignoring open receivers.
I don't really want to bench him either, but your second response seems a bit contradictory to the first lol.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't understand the wrangling over whether it's Rodgers throwing off the offense or if it's the coaches ******** it up.
You omitted a third possibility...his teammates' execution. The most difficult problems to solve are the ones caused multiple factors.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't really want to bench him either, but your second response seems a bit contradictory to the first lol.

Not at all. While there's absolutely no doubt Rodgers had a terrible game last week at Minnesota he's an elite quarterback way more talented than Hundley and Callahan. The coaching staff and Rodgers have to figure out a way to get him out of his slump but there's no reason to bench him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not at all. While there's absolutely no doubt Rodgers had a terrible game last week at Minnesota he's an elite quarterback way more talented than Hundley and Callahan. The coaching staff and Rodgers have to figure out a way to get him out of his slump but there's no reason to bench him.
I mostly agree... But I said for a game ... Not permanently .... I do think there is an element of cockiness with him. I'm afraid Mcarthy may have lost control of him and maybe he needs to be brought back to reality. Yes he is better than his backups... But he isn't playing like it, and hasn't for a while.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You omitted a third possibility...his teammates' execution. The most difficult problems to solve are the ones caused multiple factors.

I get that they are not playing very well but do we really need to execute them? Seems a bit harsh to me.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I maintain the main problem we have been having for so long now is the route calling. Not the route running. The defenses have figured out what we are doing. We have got to get rid of this perfectionist attitude we seem to have with regard to pass routes and give the receivers some more flexibility. The playbook we work with should be scrapped and we should start writing another one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mostly agree... But I said for a game ... Not permanently .... I do think there is an element of cockiness with him. I'm afraid Mcarthy may have lost control of him and maybe he needs to be brought back to reality. Yes he is better than his backups... But he isn't playing like it, and hasn't for a while.

McCarthy most likely would lose complete over Rodgers by benching him even for only a single game and things could get ugly in Green Bay.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy most likely would lose complete over Rodgers by benching him even for only a single game and things could get ugly in Green Bay.
Can't really argue that. Hopefully we will see more of what we saw today, and this will all be moot.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As I predicted, one solid performance by Rodgers and it has silenced the Packer forum critics.

Though I do not expect for this silence to last, it goes to show how reactionary and impressionable most sports fans are. As a side note, Rodgers put together the 4th highest QBR of his career in this game with a 98.3. Let's hope play like this continues.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I predicted, one solid performance by Rodgers and it has silenced the Packer forum critics.

Though I do not expect for this silence to last, it goes to show how reactionary and impressionable most sports fans are. As a side note, Rodgers put together the 4th highest QBR of his career in this game with a 98.3. Let's hope play like this continues.

As I´ve mentioned repeatedly Rodgers´ performance against the Lions shouldn´t result in fans and especially the team feeling confident about the passing game going forward. For that to happen the offense has to perform on a high level against a top defense first.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As I´ve mentioned repeatedly Rodgers´ performance against the Lions shouldn´t result in fans and especially the team feeling confident about the passing game going forward. For that to happen the offense has to perform on a high level against a top defense first.
Which game/defense are you targeting to get an indication of this?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely the Eagles on the road in week 12.
A lot is going to happen before week 12. The Eagles defense may look like garbage by Thanksgiving. I suspect we'll run into a good defensive team before then.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts