Lane Taylor

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Rapoport on Twitter, the Packers have signed him to a 2 yr $4.15M deal. only $600K guaranteed.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport the deal is for two years, $4.15 million. Taylor can make another million in incentives over the duration of the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Rapoport on Twitter, the Packers have signed him to a 2 yr $4.15M deal. only $600K guaranteed.

He can play multiple positions on the o-line, and while he's not spectacular, he's steady and doesn't cost you a ton of money. That's pretty much what you want in a back-up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Taylor provides much needed depth on the interior of the offensive line but I still think that more than $2 million per season is a bit too much for a back-up who can't play any tackle spots.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible/likely that they see him as the heir apparent for either Lang or Sitton.

Obviously he's not as good as either, but is probably sufficient as long as we keep Lang or Sitton.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He can play multiple positions on the o-line, and while he's not spectacular, he's steady and doesn't cost you a ton of money.
IMO he only backs up at OG. Tretter is the OL who backs up multiple positions along the OL. I like Tretter and Walker better backing up at OG and I think it's likely Rotheram will surpass Lane, although they shouldn't count on that for 2016. Lane seems to be the kind of player the FO should let test free agency and come back with his best offer.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO he only backs up at OG. Tretter is the OL who backs up multiple positions along the OL. I like Tretter and Walker better backing up at OG and I think it's likely Rotheram will surpass Lane, although they shouldn't count on that for 2016. Lane seems to be the kind of player the FO should let test free agency and come back with his best offer.

For what it's worth, this take from the Acme Packing Company:

However, this move makes some sense from a depth perspective; starting guards Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang both have contracts that are set to expire at the conclusion of the 2016 season. Taylor can play either left or right guard and he started a pair of games in 2015 - one in relief of an injured Lang and the other in week 17 when Josh Sitton slid out to left tackle. Those solid performances and a good 2015 preseason helped to make his poor performance in 2014 against the Saints a distant memory.

Furthermore, the structure of the contract appears to be very team-friendly. With just a $600,000 signing bonus, the Packers are protected in case Taylor fails to live up to expectations or does not develop like they hope. He obviously will be in the team's plans for 2016. However, if he regresses in the next twelve months, he could be released in 2017 with just a $300,000 dead money hit against the salary cap.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/p...tion-packers-offensive-line-guard-sitton-lang

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, what inside joke did I miss. Now the post asking how a factual statement can generate a Disagree generates its own Disagree? Must be the off-season. :)

It's early free agent time, so there's little Packer news. At least this thread stays active. Another Disagree, this time to a question. Let's see if we can keep the ball rolling and set a record. Mods - anybody know the max Disagrees for a single thread?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lane is a good emergency back up for G positions and hopefully never T's. Tretter is here for tackle back up.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need oline work. Tackles inconsistant. Guards too expensive to keep long term. 2 young centers... Tretter can play elswhere. But was suposed to be our center until linsley broke out.

No depth. Lane taylor? Rodgers must be a little concerned.

Members online

No members online now.