Lance Briggs has some 'splaining to do

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Nfl.com

CHICAGO -- A damaged black Lamborghini registered to Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs was found abandoned early Monday alongside the Edens Expressway on the city's North Side, authorities said.

Illinois State Police officials said the 2007 Roadster was discovered around 3:15 a.m. on northbound I-94 near the Devon Avenue exit. It had crashed into a light pole.

"(The) registration comes back to Lance Briggs, however we don't know who was driving the car at the time," Master Sgt. Kyron St. Clair said.

Police said it doesn't appear that anyone was injured in the crash. Whoever was behind the wheel of the luxury Italian sports car could face misdemeanor charges for improper lane usage and leaving the scene of the accident, St. Clair said.

The vehicle, which has a Kelley Blue Book value of more than $350,000, had not been reported stolen, he said.

Authorities were trying to find the 26-year-old Bears star Monday morning to get more information about what may have happened.

Several team spokesmen did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press early Monday, and phone calls were not answered at the Bears' public relations office.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Police said it doesn't appear that anyone was injured in the crash. Whoever was behind the wheel of the luxury Italian sports car could face misdemeanor charges for improper lane usage and leaving the scene of the accident, St. Clair said.

We all seen how the Ill law enforcement handled the Tank Johnson deal last year... push it off until after the Superbowl...

Why would Lance get anything more the the above...

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe he was driving under the influence, crashed and then had someone get him before the cops came because then he couldnt be charged with DUI and get suspended or what not.

Pack93z

Reaction score
pretty sure he was driving under influence and ditched the car.

Yep... and didn't want to face the 4 game suspension.. which would probably have offset the 350 grand he wrecked last night....

Not reported stolen and I am pretty sure that someone that values the $$$ like Briggs won't let someone else drive the thing.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Here is a shocker.. he was at 'da clubs.... but he did admit he was driving..

REPORT: BRIGGS AT NIGHTCLUB BEFORE CRASH by Michael David Smith

NBC 5 in Chicago is reporting that Bears linebacker Lance Briggs went to at least two Chicago nightclubs Sunday night before crashing and abandoning his Lamborghini early Monday morning. The station does not report whether Briggs was seen drinking alcohol.

The TV station also reports that yesterday was for from the first time Briggs got a blemish on his driving record. Briggs' California driver's license was suspended for a year in 2005 for speeding and negligence, and he had three speeding tickets in Illinois in 2004.

For crashing his Lamborghini Murcielago and leaving it on the expressway around 3 a.m. Monday, Briggs has been charged with one count of leaving the scene of an accident and given two traffic citations, for improper lane usage and failure to give immediate notice of an accident.

Bears coach Lovie Smith got mad yesterday when reporters asked him if alcohol was involved in the crash.

"How did we get to that?" Smith asked. "We have a one-car accident, and now alcohol is involved? I think that's stretching it a little bit."

It's still not known, and may never be, whether alcohol was involved in the crash, but it's ridiculous for Smith to act as though the question isn't reasonable. If Smith thinks defending his players when they screw up is part of his job, fine. But don't get mad at reporters for doing their job.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Brilliant... It is called buying time to get the BAC down... didn't want to make a big scene but probably made it bigger... Oh Mister Goodell :razz:

LAKE FOREST, Ill -- Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs said he panicked after he crashed his new Lamborghini along a highway early Monday morning and initially reported his car stolen after abandoning the mangled vehicle.

Briggs, speaking to reporters after practice on Tuesday, said he called a tow truck after leaving the scene and then reported that his car was stolen.

"When it happened, the first thing I did was, obviously, I panicked," Briggs said. "I didn't want there to be a big scene there. And so I left the scene. When I left, I called the tow truck. I also was startled, and I called to report that my car was stolen.

"Within probably 10 minutes, I called back and accepted responsibility for what I did because it was ridiculous in the first place."

Illinois Police found the abandoned vehicle, which had hit a light pole and a concrete bridge support, alongside the expressway on the city's North Side around 3:15 a.m.

Briggs was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, a misdemeanor, Illinois State Police said Monday.

While Briggs' car crash remained the main topic of discussion, the Chicago Bears continued to prepare for the preseason-finale against Cleveland

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leaving the car was the smartest thing Briggs could have done except not getting in the car. He probably freaked after crashing, called his agent, and since noone witnissed the accident, he was told to leave.

Leaving the scene gave him enough time to catch his bearings, get everything out of his system, and come up with a cover story. Which is why after he left he called a towing truck, reported the car stolen, then called back and said he did it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearDown! said:
Leaving the car was the smartest thing Briggs could have done except not getting in the car. He probably freaked after crashing, called his agent, and since noone witnissed the accident, he was told to leave.

Leaving the scene gave him enough time to catch his bearings, get everything out of his system, and come up with a cover story. Which is why after he left he called a towing truck, reported the car stolen, then called back and said he did it.
Thats probably true...........and very sad.
Think about it.............IF he was drunk (or high) he gets nailed. Now it's hit and run, but no DUI.
But hey, it worked for Teddy Kennedy back in the 1960's! He did the same thing.......but killed a woman. At least Briggs didn't kill anyone......thankfully!

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:
chances are he will do it again.. hopefully next time, he will get caught.

No.. next time hopefully he doesn't kill someone else...

I really hope this isn't the beginning of a chain of events. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone or himself for that matter.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand it..........these high paid prima-donnas have the world by the tail! And they just take chance after chance of throwing their careers (and money) away by dumb move after dumb move.
You could write a book on just the idiots that have done stupid things in the last year.
Briggs could afford to rent, (or for that matter BUY) a limo and hire a driver to take him from party to party. That would keep everyone safe!
Guess that makes way too much sense.

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Briggs could afford to rent, (or for that matter BUY) a limo and hire a driver to take him from party to party. That would keep everyone safe!
Very good point and I agree.

The son of the woman killed by Leonard Little called up Mike and Mike on Espn radio the other morning morning and said that Little has never apologized for killing his mom, and not only did he not apologize, he got behind the wheel drunk AGAIN 5 years later and got off on a technicality. A good question Greenberg asked, was if the NFL ever contacted his family, to see what they thought Littles punishment should be. He said the NFL never contacted them. Little ended up getting an 8 game suspension. And he only served 90 days in jail for killing this woman. :roll: :x

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow........it doesn't surprise me though. Our so called "justice system" today seems to want to give free passes to criminals, and forgets the victims and their families.
Little should have been locked up for life after driving drunk again after he murdered that poor woman. To me it IS murder. It's no better then driving through a neighborhood and randomly firing off a gun. You might not INTEND to kill someone, but your actions show you care about no one but yourself.
But hey..........Little got off with a slap on the wrists, so why SHOULDN'T he be expected to turn around and do the same thing? There again, that is what we are teaching kids today. There are no consequences for their actions. Being locked up in prison DOES deter alot of people from committing crimes. But if they know they will get a free pass, and they have no conscience, whats to stop them from doing whatever the heck they want to do for self pleasure?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts