Lambeau vs Lombardi

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard, slightly, that Curly and Vince didn't get along.
What's the story of those two not liking each other?

Majik

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RE: Curly:

I'm glad they didn't change the name of the field, and his pub is certainly good!

I haven't heard of the supposed rift either.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They hated each other. I think they met the first time in 59 at Lombardis first game. People joke about the statues being so close for two people who couldnt stand each other. Lombardi fought the naming of Lambeau Field after Curlys death, but as far as what caused it I can only speculate

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly Lombardi didn't think much of Lambeau's love life. He (Lambeau) died in a motel room in Sturgeon Bay with one of his girlfriends, which Vince disapproved of. Vince was definitely against renaming City Stadium after Lambeau.

There is a single picture of the 2 of them together that I once saw, but I can't find it on the net. They never got along as far as I know.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly Lombardi didn't think much of Lambeau's love life. He (Lambeau) died in a motel room in Sturgeon Bay with one of his girlfriends, which Vince disapproved of. Vince was definitely against renaming City Stadium after Lambeau.

There is a single picture of the 2 of them together that I once saw, but I can't find it on the net. They never got along as far as I know.
Thanx for the insights.

Re: the pic. In this year's Packer's Yearbook they show all the covers from all the years they've published.
One of the pics shows Vince and Curly shaking hands. (Maybe that's the pic your thinking of?)
Apparently Vince wasn't too happy with that cover.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Vince being a strict Catholic would more than likely disapprove of philandering and most definitely would not respect him for it. Although that is my speculation of how Vince would feel who knows. They were both strong willed guys, and their egos, personalities probably just didn't mesh at all.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Hmm, a good question is. Would you be upset if the stadium was called Lombardi field instead of Lambeau? I know we are so used to the mystique of Lambeau field as it has surpassed the guy who's name it bears, but consider if it was originally named Lombardi Field, would you complain about it? I wouldn't. Lombardi field sounds pretty good too.

Still, makes me proud that the SB trophy is named after Lombardi. Will there ever be a coach like Vince Lombardi again? I dunno. I wonder if the culture in the U.S. would be able to produce another guy like that. We've become too soft here.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Well a character like Lombardi can exist again but it would be unlikely for him to go into football. If anything I think Lombardi just disapproved of Lambeau's character, which might have changed over time since he first started the team.

I would feel it would be an insult to the Packers if they ever renamed the field to Lombardi, who was great nonetheless, but Lambeau helped create the Packers, and the pre-Superbowl years have enough trouble being remembered.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm, a good question is. Would you be upset if the stadium was called Lombardi field instead of Lambeau? I know we are so used to the mystique of Lambeau field as it has surpassed the guy who's name it bears, but consider if it was originally named Lombardi Field, would you complain about it? I wouldn't. Lombardi field sounds pretty good too.
I think Lambeau Field sounds better or has a better ring than Lombardi Field.
Lombardi Stadium sounds OK.
There's a trophy which pretty much has his legacy sealed and remembered.
So I think it's fine having it as Lambeau Field.
Less is more.

Still, makes me proud that the SB trophy is named after Lombardi.
I know what you mean. Makes it that much more cool to be a Packers fan.
On the one hand I think it's kinda biased to have the trophy named after just one coach.
On the other, the man must have done something so incredible to have the trophy named after him that non-Packers teams (unfortunately) will win in the big game each year.
The Packers were the Cubs of football at the time Vince came to town.
Will there ever be a coach like Vince Lombardi again? I dunno. I wonder if the culture in the U.S. would be able to produce another guy like that. We've become too soft here.
Bill Walsh comes to mind.
He turned a losing team into winners and created the West Coast offense.

In terms of rough and tough coaches, I'm not sure what you mean.
There are coaches who yell and curse at their players and work them hard.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Lambeau disprove of hiring Lombardi? Its something that seems to ring a bell but I cant substantiate it

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to change the stadium name. Changing the name now would be heresy. Lambeau is Lambeau and always should be called that. Not reliant frigging stadium, or Inesco Field or whatever.

Lombardi had something, and I know time has put a shine on his legacy that maybe wasn't there originally, But I've never met anybody like Lombardi in my life. Although I'll admit I never played competitive sports professionally either.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just realized what that could mean.
Coming and going, was he? :haha:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts