lambeau pitch

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
given the weather in GB and how quickly the normally lush grass can turn to mud bewtween games, has there ever been any thought given to using artificial turf?

also any discussion on how beneficial it could be to the Pack, or not

I personally think that grass should be kept, but wonder if in the later regular season and post-season(assuming home-field advantage) if it would help not getting bogged down in the mud?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/lambeau-field/stadium-info/history/

Heating system: Installed in 2007 and contains more than 30 miles of radiant heating pipe, which can maintain a root-zone temperature of 55-plus degrees to keep the ground from freezing during the season's latter months. First system was put in by Vince Lombardi for 1967 season (failed during Ice Bowl).

they tarp it if weather is going to be wet..It was covered before the game yesterday..

I dont think it gets to muddy anymore...Last time I recall was in the 90's vs the Niners in a playoff game

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Yeah, Lambeau has become fairly notorious for having excellent field conditions in spite of its location. Just take a listen to a very envious Brian Urlacher:

"Green Bay has awesome turf," Urlacher said Thursday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "The weather we play in, they have the same [weather]."

Both Soldier Field and Lambeau Field have grass surfaces.

"We played in the last game of the regular season there, and it was great," Urlacher said. "Look at ours, and it's beat up and looks horrible."

Article: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6696768

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I personally think that grass should be kept, but wonder if in the later regular season and post-season(assuming home-field advantage) if it would help not getting bogged down in the mud?
It's not just grass. This is from the link LTF posted: "In 2007, the Packers installed an entirely new playing surface, including a completely new drainage and heating system, bringing the latest technology in field management to the famous stadium. Chief to the new system is DD GrassMaster, a natural-grass surface reinforced with man-made fibers. All existing levels of the field were removed and the new system began with a clay sub-grade level, compacted and graded (with a .6 percent slope), including drain tile, irrigation pipe and thermostat wiring for the heating system. The second level consists of 5½ inches of pea gravel. On top of the gravel layer is 30-plus miles of ¾-inch tubing for the heating system, which can maintain a root-zone temperature of 55-plus degrees to keep the ground from freezing during the season’s latter months. Level three consists of 12 inches of root-zone sand and Kentucky bluegrass turf. DD GrassMaster’s synthetic fibers are stitched into the surface, providing strength and stability to the field. Fibers extend approximately seven inches below the surface, are exposed approximately one inch above the surface, and are spaced every three-quarters of an inch. Approximately 20 million individual stitches make up the process. The slope equates to a crown of about 5½ inches on the new surface."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
given the weather in GB and how quickly the normally lush grass can turn to mud bewtween games, has there ever been any thought given to using artificial turf?
This isn't a given. Since they use the hybrid DD GrassMaster they haven't had a mud game. The turf can come up and it does take a beating, but I haven't seen the brown landing strip in the center of the field in many many years. There is no need to even think about going to artificial turf.

OP
OP
scotscheese

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
woah, thanks for all the different info.

the only reason i mentioned this is that as i was watching the game last night, i remembered a game last season where the field looked just like mud(can't remember what game, but was defo at lambeau). i just thought that in this day in age there should be no way that the field should look like that, , maybe the artificial stuff just got covered after the real stuff got pounded

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

the only reason i mentioned this is that as i was watching the game last night, i remembered a game last season where the field looked just like mud(can't remember what game, but was defo at lambeau). i just thought that in this day in age there should be no way that the field should look like that, , maybe the artificial stuff just got covered after the real stuff got pounded

The winter 0f 2013/2014 in GB was coldest winter in GB since the winter 0f 1888 . Last winter were many below zero temperature days in GB.

The above frigid winter temperature conditions could have overwhelmed the LF Artificial lighting system**. Thus , Grass Master surface of LF in Dec 2013 could have looked brown (dead grass) similar color of mud. Especially when Packers played Atlanta Falcons at LF on December 8, 2013 or more likely when the Packers played the Pittsburgh Steelers at LF on December 22 , 2013 .

** An artificial lighting system, based on technology used in Dutch rose-growing greenhouses, was tested in 2010 and the Packers purchased for use in the 2010 season at LF. It operates 24 hours a day from October to early December to extend the growing season for the field's grass.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Im pretty sure it wasnt lambeau

The artificial stuff and real are stitched together

Members online

Latest posts