Lambeau Mystique

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has happened to the Lambeau mystique? I'm here to tell you that it's alive and well. The only difference is that it now helps the OTHER team rather than the Packers. Opposing teams love playing in the friendly, small-town environment, while the Packers play tight because they don't want to screw up in front of their adoring fans.

Bad weather used to be our friend, but we can't even rely on that anymore. Today the strong-armed Brett Favre had just as much trouble throwing in the cold wind as the weak-armed Chad Pennington. Playing in the wind against a dome QB, Marc Bulger, earlier in the season, Favre was badly outplayed. He's not the dominant bad weather QB he used to be, not by a longshot. It's not that Favre is the problem; it's more that he just can't bail out an inferior team the way he could in his earlier years.

Hopefully talent and experience can help re-establish the Lambeau mystique for the Packers in the next yar or two. But today's game, against an average team, proved that the Packers aren't even close.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Look back..it left when Reggie, Sean Jones, Santana, Butler and a few others left..

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea no kidding. i wish we had him!! im sure thats what a lot of people will say when Favre is gone(even tho he has been playing like crap)

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
What has happened to the Lambeau mystique? I'm here to tell you that it's alive and well. The only difference is that it now helps the OTHER team rather than the Packers. Opposing teams love playing in the friendly, small-town environment, while the Packers play tight because they don't want to screw up in front of their adoring fans.

Bad weather used to be our friend, but we can't even rely on that anymore. Today the strong-armed Brett Favre had just as much trouble throwing in the cold wind as the weak-armed Chad Pennington. Playing in the wind against a dome QB, Marc Bulger, earlier in the season, Favre was badly outplayed. He's not the dominant bad weather QB he used to be, not by a longshot. It's not that Favre is the problem; it's more that he just can't bail out an inferior team the way he could in his earlier years.

Hopefully talent and experience can help re-establish the Lambeau mystique for the Packers in the next yar or two. But today's game, against an average team, proved that the Packers aren't even close.

The Jets are better than you think, Greg.

They whomped the Patriots up in Foxboro this year!

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

And yet the Packers lost at home to the Rams, and the Saints two which we really should have won in Lambeau. I have a new theroy. John Kerry hexed Lambeau when he came and prounced it Lamberg.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

This is true.... and in the Jets very next game they were shut out by the Bears on their home field in New York.
Oh by the way, that Seahawks team that you lost to last week?
The Bears beat them by 31 points.
The Bills team that beat you by 2 touchdowns?
The Bears beat them by 33 points.
The Packers are not even close to compeating for this division people.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
charlesplaisted said:
Greg C. said:

This is true.... and in the Jets very next game they were shut out by the Bears on their home field in New York.

I don't see anyone in here saying that the Packers are close to competing for the division lead. I guess you have to get your insults in now, while the bears are still on top, after waiting for 20 sum' odd years.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
charlesplaisted said:
Greg C. said:

I don't see anyone in here saying that the Packers are close to competing for the division lead. I guess you have to get your insults in now, while the bears are still on top, after waiting for 20 sum' odd years.

You are worried about "Lambeau Mystique" when the truth is that the Packers are not a good team by any stretch of the imagination.
What is going to happen when Rodgers has to throw the ball 40 or 50 times a game because the defense is the worst in the NFL?
Instead of worrying about glory days of old at home the Packers have to play over their heads just to keep from getting blown out.
That is not smack or gloating. I have been telling you this for the last 2 seasons that they are not even close and things will get worse before they get better.
Has reality finally set in here or will there still be talk of the Packers winning out the remainder of the season and getting into the playoffs as a wildcard at 8-8?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil,
Reality is...NOBODY HERE CARES WHAT YOU THINK.... The Bears have a great D, and an offense that totally sucks, that's reality, just because you, as a Bear fan, are an expert on underachieving teams, doesn't mean we want to hear your opinion.
Losing breeds Losing, just because the Bears have taken 20 years to figure that out doesn't mean we as Packer fans have to do the same, everyone on this forum know that The Packers are in a rebuilding mode, even though TT and MM have denied it from day one.

The Packers problems start with management and coaching, until these two areas get straightened out, it doesn't matter what type of players we have.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mystique is pure horsecrap.

It centers on a team winning, every week, no matter where they are, including at home.

You have a home field advantage because your fans are there and the team doesn't have to travel. Travel expends mental energy, an advantage for a team at home.

This pile of horse dung is Ted Thompson's brainchild.

The only mystery to me is why few fans are willing to put it at his doorstep.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lambeau mystique was all about TALENT and a dominating offense and defense. When Green Bay has not had that combination, Lambeau has never been a particularly difficult place for teams to play.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with others that winning at home, just like winning on the road, is mostly a matter of talent. But the Lambeau advantage went out the window before this team went into an overall decline. It happened in January 2003, when Michael Vick and the Falcons came into Lambeau and won that playoff game. The following season, there was the embarrassing season-opening loss to the Vikings, then the fourth quarter collapse against the Chiefs. The season after that, there was the playoff loss to the Vikings. And last year the Packers actually had a better record on the road than they did at home.

Even in a down year, a team should be able to rise up and beat a better team at home occasionally--or even beat a mediocre team like the Jets, for goodness' sake.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil,
Reality is...NOBODY HERE CARES WHAT YOU THINK.... The Bears have a great D, and an offense that totally sucks, that's reality, just because you, as a Bear fan, are an expert on underachieving teams, doesn't mean we want to hear your opinion.
Losing breeds Losing, just because the Bears have taken 20 years to figure that out doesn't mean we as Packer fans have to do the same, everyone on this forum know that The Packers are in a rebuilding mode, even though TT and MM have denied it from day one.

The Packers problems start with management and coaching, until these two areas get straightened out, it doesn't matter what type of players we have.

Hello princess! I thought that you were ignoring me?
First of all, why is it that when any team other than the Packers has a losing record they are just losers but when the Packers are below .500 they are "rebuilding"?
Here is something that you obviously do not know about over there in Ohio. Since 1984 the Bears have won their division 9 times while the Packers have done it only 6 times.
During that time the Bears have a better record than the Packers, went to the NFC championship game just as many times as the Packers and won just as many Super Bowls as the Packers.
The Bears have won the division 3 of the last 6 years, just like the Packers.
During those 6 seasons the Packers are 52-40 while the Bears are 50-42 so you really need to get over this whole myth that the Packers have dominated the league while the Bears were bottom feeders.
I can see why you are not interested in what I say because you like to believe in fairytales instead of facts.
You might want to think about that dumb comment about the Bears taking 20 years to win because I did see the Green Bay Packers during the 1970s and 1980s and their current team looks very familiar.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Phil,
I don't believe in fairy tales, Untill last year the Packers had 14 seasons in a row going 8-8 or better, in the age of free agency that is unheard of.
Here's reality for you again, Rexy boy 1.1 qb rating last week, can't wait for The Bears to play in yet another 1 and done playoff year, then I won;t have to ignore you, you will be to ashamed to show up until next year.

I come on this site to hear the views of other Packer fans, all is good until idiots like you show up with your opinion, that nobody cares about.

What's the matter won't anyone play with you on The Bear forums?

To tell you the truth Phil, I would always root for The Bears when they made the play-offs and The Pack didn't, but now,if you are representation of what a real Bear fan is, I think maybe not so much anymore.

20 years, that would be 1986 to 2006, write off the 85 season when you were the best in football, I'll let you keep the 86 season, the year you were still the best in football but choked it up big time in the play-offs.

Anyway Phil, we have gotten off topic here, something that usually happens when you post because all you want to do is give your loser mentality advice to us Packer fans when we don't want to hear it.

have a great year Phil!!!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Phil,
I don't believe in fairy tales, Untill last year the Packers had 14 seasons in a row going 8-8 or better, in the age of free agency that is unheard of.
Here's reality for you again, Rexy boy 1.1 qb rating last week, can't wait for The Bears to play in yet another 1 and done playoff year, then I won;t have to ignore you, you will be to ashamed to show up until next year.

I come on this site to hear the views of other Packer fans, all is good until idiots like you show up with your opinion, that nobody cares about.

What's the matter won't anyone play with you on The Bear forums?

To tell you the truth Phil, I would always root for The Bears when they made the play-offs and The Pack didn't, but now,if you are representation of what a real Bear fan is, I think maybe not so much anymore.

20 years, that would be 1986 to 2006, write off the 85 season when you were the best in football, I'll let you keep the 86 season, the year you were still the best in football but choked it up big time in the play-offs.

Anyway Phil, we have gotten off topic here, something that usually happens when you post because all you want to do is give your loser mentality advice to us Packer fans when we don't want to hear it.

have a great year Phil!!!!

For someone who does not care about my opinions you sure spend a lot of time quoting them and posting more comments of your own addressed directly to me.

You can be honest now. You are in fact a closet Philtration fan.
:razz:

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For someone who does not care about my opinions you sure spend a lot of time quoting them and posting more comments of your own addressed directly to me.

I'm a closet-something, but it's not a Phil fan.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

I'm a closet-something, but it's not a Phil fan.

Infidel!

Staff online

Latest posts