Lambeau Lore

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Wikki (Where just about everything should be taken with a grain of salt.)
"The Frozen Tundra"
The stadium's nickname was spawned by the 1967 NFL Championship Game between the Packers and the Dallas Cowboys, played on December 31, 1967. The game was played in temperatures of –13°F (–25°C) with sharp winds, and has come to be known as the "Ice Bowl." The moniker came from the Cowboys' highlight film following the season that included in its narration the phrase, "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field," spoken by Bill Woodson. Addressing the common misconception surrounding this, NFL Films' Steve Sabol once recounted to Sporting News, "John Facenda never read those words. I know because I wrote them." The phrase was later popularized when ESPN sportscaster Chris Berman frequently used it while imitating Facenda's voice.[8]

Also from Wikki:
Probably one of the best-remembered (and most frequently-quoted) examples of Facenda's NFL Films narration is something he never actually said: "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" was a quote the sportscaster Chris Berman made up, mimicking Facenda's voice when he said it.

It wasn't Chris Berman who came up with the "frozen tundra" was it?
I thought it was around before him.
So who came up with it?
Any ideas?

Lambeau Field
Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers! This stadium and team has one of the richest histories of all of NFL history. It was the very first stadium built exclusively for a NFL franchise. Though it was originally called 'City Stadium' until 1965 after the death of the much beloved founder of the Packers Curly Lambeau it was renamed.

So glad they took it from Curly's last name. If it had been Curly Stadium then I don't think anyone could help but think of the 3 Stooges!

Also from Wikki (This one might be more accurate.)
The "Lambeau Leap"Many Packer players jump into the end zone stands in a celebration affectionately known as the "Lambeau Leap." The Lambeau Leap was invented by safety LeRoy Butler, who scored after a Reggie White fumble recovery and lateral against the L.A. Raiders in December 1993. It was later popularized by wide receiver Robert Brooks.[10][11]
Today, the Lambeau Leap is a popular touchdown celebration done by players on many different teams, with "Lambeau" changed to the team or stadium's name, for example the Detroit Lions call it a "Lions Leap".
Occasionally, a visiting player will attempt a Lambeau Leap, only to be denied by Packers fans. This happened to then-Minnesota Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot when he intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown.[12] During the 2007 NFC Championship game, New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs faked a Lambeau Leap after scoring a touchdown, angering many Green Bay faithful in the stands.[13] Before a game against the Packers on September 20, 2009, Cincinnati Bengals wideout Chad Ochocinco announced he would do a Lambeau Leap if he scored a touchdown, and then followed through by leaping into the arms of pre-arranged fans wearing Bengals jerseys.[14][15] Willis McGahee successfully did a Lambeau Leap into Ravens fans in a game between the Packers and Ravens.

Ya gotta love the Lambeau leap. What Packers fan doesn't?
I think it's great to see the players connect with their fans that way.
What a very unique way to celebrate a touchdown and I'm glad it's the team I'm a fan of who started it!
:happy0005:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi never got along with Curly Lambeau and was opposed to the name change. Remember, Lambeau left Green Bay under unpleasant circumstances much the same as The Interceptor. It's funny that the statues in front of the Atrium have Lambeau pointing to Lombardi as if to lecture him, and Lombardi won't look at him. From what I've read, that pretty accurately reflects their actual relationship.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi never got along with Curly Lambeau and was opposed to the name change. Remember, Lambeau left Green Bay under unpleasant circumstances much the same as The Interceptor. It's funny that the statues in front of the Atrium have Lambeau pointing to Lombardi as if to lecture him, and Lombardi won't look at him. From what I've read, that pretty accurately reflects their actual relationship.
Thanx for contributing that interesting bit of trivia.
Had no idea about Curly.
(I like your name idea: The Interceptor. Nice!) :icon_cool:

Members online

Latest posts