Lambeau Field circa 1996

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I finally made my first trip to Lambeau last season, getting to see the victory over the Rams. Aside from it being one of the greatest experiences of my life, I'm curious about how Lambeau Field used to look before the renovations. I've found this picture:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Quite obviously, the stadium looks much more impressive now; the poorly-lined letters look a bit embarrassing. But more importantly, I'd like to know which side of the stadium this was on. Since I never was at the stadium before last year, I have no idea what it used to look like. Is this on the side of the atrium? The opposite side? Or one of the end zones? Thank you for your help and Go Pack Go!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally made my first trip to Lambeau last season, getting to see the victory over the Rams. Aside from it being one of the greatest experiences of my life, I'm curious about how Lambeau Field used to look before the renovations. I've found this picture:
<<snipped>>

Quite obviously, the stadium looks much more impressive now; the poorly-lined letters look a bit embarrassing. But more importantly, I'd like to know which side of the stadium this was on. Since I never was at the stadium before last year, I have no idea what it used to look like. Is this on the side of the atrium? The opposite side? Or one of the end zones? Thank you for your help and Go Pack Go!
If the shadows on the letters aren't lying, I believe the view is from the East side. From the arena / Oneida Street area. Today it looks something like this.

CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=32501

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found a larger picture. This gives a better perspective, but to be honest, I'm still not sure what side it is.

I shudder when I see these pics because the lettering is pretty embarrassing. I'm glad we were able to fix that up.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
I might be the only one...but I kinda like the old look :cool:

Don't get me wrong I think the renovations look fantastic, but I'm a traditionalist and a throwback guy. Just love the old look of the stadium the way it used to be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's more nostalgia factor with the new stadium with the old look. The other one looked like a green pole shed that was odd shaped, and no roof that someone decided to slap some letters on. Looked cheap, the new look has character, and a feel that makes it seem like it was built back when things mattered. Not tossed up using material from an old shed that fell down on someone else's farm :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I found a larger picture. This gives a better perspective, but to be honest, I'm still not sure what side it is.

I shudder when I see these pics because the lettering is pretty embarrassing. I'm glad we were able to fix that up.
Because of the size of the parking lot and the uphill slope, I am pretty sure it is the East side like your first pic. Ridge road on the west is closer to the stadium and at a higher altitude. It doesn't need to slope up to the stadium entrance.