Lady Hockey Badgers!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I'd have forgotten
I'm PO'd. I don't get ESPN+ for tonight's game. I might have to look around on line and see if I can find it. Although I will say. Anyone familiar with Badger Hockey knows who Paul Braun is. He did the radio play by play for the Men's teams since the 70's. His wife got sick and he quit doing the broadcasts to focus on her. He is now doing the Womens games and it is just a pleasure to hear his voice and broadcasts.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Getting Caroline Harvey back, is a big reason I think the Badgers win it all again this year. She suffered a knee injury in Oct. and it was thought she might be lost for the season. Instead of surgery, she went through intensive rehab and missed 7 games, returning in Dec. Since her return, the Badgers are playing better, not that they were ever playing poorly.

Also, interesting to note that the Frozen Four is being played in her home state of New Hampshire, 45 minutes from where she grew up. She is going to have quite the cheering section at the game(s).

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hats off to Badger fans, once again the Badgers had the highest attendance figures for their Womens Hockey Program this past season. I couldn't fit the whole chart in, but the last place team, Franklin Pierce, averaged 87 people in attendance per game.

I hope that the UW Athletic dept. will move some games to the Kohl Center, they would come close to filling it for all the WCHA games.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hats off to Badger fans, once again the Badgers had the highest attendance figures for their Womens Hockey Program this past season. I couldn't fit the whole chart in, but the last place team, Franklin Pierce, averaged 87 people in attendance per game.

I hope that the UW Athletic dept. will move some games to the Kohl Center, they would come close to filling it for all the WCHA games.

Too many men believe that the only sports there are involves sausage fests. They should attend a women's sports event and they'll find out there's some real competition out there, and most of the ladies involved would beat them at their own game.

Many years ago, I was coaching a women's fast pitch softball team. They were pretty good. But the local men's team figured the ladies were wasting field time, and wanted them sent to a playground ball field.

So, one of our ladies made the suggestion that our ladies should play the men's team for the right to use the good field for the entire season. The loser would use the playground.

My ladies beat the men 6-1. They had no idea what hit them, when I unleashed my best pitcher on them. She had them going back to the bench cussing because she'd strike them out with a change up. The only hit they got was a home run by the best men's hitter. After the game he commented he didn't even realize he hit it that hard, because he'd closed his eyes! LOL

The following season, there was no problem working out a share arrangement for the good field. The men didn't want a repeat performance. They looked pretty bad.

The most interesting thing was that the crowd watching the game between the two was huge! So many people witnessed them being humiliated by their own words and actions.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Notice the average attendance versus the capacity? 99.8%. On top of that, I don't have ESPN + neither.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Never found the coverage online, so I was forced to listen to the radio broadcast. Nice win against Colgate, a team that I think lead the nation in power play goal percentage, converting on nearly 35% of their opportunities! At one point in the 2nd period with the Badgers clinging to a 1-0 lead, the game could have really gotten dicey for Bucky. The Badgers were killing off a penalty, it expired and before the whistle would blow again, the Badgers were called for 2 more penalties! 3 on 5 Hockey for 2 minutes is just a buzz kill and difficult, especially against a team like Colgate. The Badgers weathered the storm and didn't give up a goal. Colgate made it interesting at the end, pulling their goalie and scoring to make it 2-1 with 2 minutes to go.

The empty netter by Laila Edwards was the dagger. Edwards is already a really good player and just a sophomore, in 2 years, the sky is the limit for her. As it is for this whole team. They will only be loosing 2 players that contribute a lot, Britta Curl and Maddie Wheeler, but they have a ton of talented under classman to fill in.

Catch all 3 of the Badger goals by clicking on the video inside the twitter post.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.....6" of fresh wet snow on the ground, it's a GREAT DAY FOR HOCKEY!

Go Lady Badgers! Time for the Frozen Four!

Going after back to back Championships and their 8th one to boot this weekend.

Tune in folks, ESPN+ 6:30PM tonight against the Colgate Raiders, finals are Sunday.

Go Bucky!

From the story you linked:

UW has not given up a goal in 302:53 minutes in NCAA tournament games played at home, which dates all the way back to the 2014-2015 season.

That is amazing!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From the story you linked:

UW has not given up a goal in 302:53 minutes in NCAA tournament games played at home, which dates all the way back to the 2014-2015 season.

That is amazing!
It is amazing, but to be honest, not completely unexpected. When the Badgers host an NCCA tournament game, it means that they were a top 4 team and playing one of the 3-4 worst seeds. Nothing against other programs in the country, but there is usually a pretty big talent gap between the Badgers and the 9-11 seeds.

Equally impressive, as well as showing just how dominate the Badgers have been, is the fact that "the offense has also been stellar in their seven NCAA tournament wins at LaBahn, with the team outscoring its opponents 32-2."

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In other news, Badger players Casey O'Brien and Kirsten Simms were 2 of the 3 finalists for the Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, which is like the Heisman award for Women's Hockey. They announced the winner today and it was neither Casey or Kirsten, but the 3rd candidate, Izzy Daniel.

Some were speculating that given that 2 of the 3 finalists were from the same team, votes for those 2 might get split up and allow Daniel to win. This seems to be the case, because for the life of me, Daniel didn't even come close to either of them when it comes to points.

Daniel: 59 points (21 goals, 38 assists)
O'Brien: 73 point (23 goals, 50 assists)
Sims: 75 points (33 goals and 42 assists)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Set your alarms! 3:00 today! The Badgers defend their NCAA Title and go after #8 against the Buckeyes. A fitting match-up of the #2 and #1 Teams in the country and a repeat of last seasons Championship game as well. These 2 teams have already played each other 5 times this season. With the Buckeyes winning the first 3 games and the Badgers winning the last 2. Doesn't get much better than this.

The Game is on ESPNU. ESPNU is currently showing the Badgers Friday night game against Colgate. Can I just say, what a pathetic attendance! I could fart in there and everybody would hear and smell it. As much as I don't like the Gophers, I would be fine seeing the NCAA tourney being held in Madison or Minneapolis on a rotating basis each season. At least in those two Cities, you would probably pack the arenas for such meaningful games.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Set your alarms! 3:00 today! The Badgers defend their NCAA Title and go after #8 against the Buckeyes. A fitting match-up of the #2 and #1 Teams in the country and a repeat of last seasons Championship game as well. These 2 teams have already played each other 5 times this season. With the Buckeyes winning the first 3 games and the Badgers winning the last 2. Doesn't get much better than this.

The Game is on ESPNU. ESPNU is currently showing the Badgers Friday night game against Colgate. Can I just say, what a pathetic attendance! I could fart in there and everybody would hear and smell it. As much as I don't like the Gophers, I would be fine seeing the NCAA tourney being held in Madison or Minneapolis on a rotating basis each season. At least in those two Cities, you would probably pack the arenas for such meaningful games.
I'm already getting ready to watch it. I wouldn't miss it for the world. These ladies are defending the honor of the Wisconsin Badgers. We need a national championship after the ups and downs over this past season in every sport.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm PO'd. I don't get ESPN+ for tonight's game. I might have to look around on line and see if I can find it. Although I will say. Anyone familiar with Badger Hockey knows who Paul Braun is. He did the radio play by play for the Men's teams since the 70's. His wife got sick and he quit doing the broadcasts to focus on her. He is now doing the Womens games and it is just a pleasure to hear his voice and broadcasts.
Vee see box

Search on Amazon ..I get paramount plus HBO, nfl network etc..

One time fee

This is just one section

I can get every local channel from across the country

I can watch milwaukee shows in phoneix

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vee see box

Search on Amazon ..I get paramount plus HBO, nfl network etc..

One time fee

This is just one section

I can get every local channel from across the country

I can watch milwaukee shows in phoneix
I'm using my streaming service to get ESPNU, which is carrying it. With most cables, that's another one of those extra charges. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the NCAA would put a national college championship on a firewall station. That's just pure lunacy! The need the exposure, not a couple of bucks from a provider who won't get good ratings anyway.

Playing this thing at the University of New Hampshire is absurd too. They play in Durham, NH, with a population of about 16,000. They don't have enough rooms to house any larger number of fans to attend the games. It's a total joke.

It's almost as if the NCAA is trying to kill the program.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, the one thing about Hockey, a 1-0 final score is kind of a let down, especially when your team is on the losing end of it. That said, was a fun game to watch and a lot of exciting moments on both offense and defense. While it was a very clean game, with ZERO penalties, there were times that I think the WCHA officials swallowed their whistles. Not a bad thing, but they really let a Buckeye get away with an after the whistle roughing in the final 2 minutes. Had they called it, Badgers go on the PP and perhaps even double down by pulling their goalie for a 6 on 4 advantage.

Oh well, one game does not define a season. Another great season for the Badgers. They have a young team with a Freshman Goalie that really proved herself in the final half of the season, to be an upcoming star. Unless the transfer portal gods aren't kind to the Badgers, they should once again be a major force in 2024-25.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a great game. Both teams played cleanly. It was like last year's game, where one shot was going to be the deciding factor. It could have ended either way, both years. The Badger women have nothing to be ashamed of they played winning hockey for the entire season.

Next year is going to be exciting. We had a first year student in goal, and look at the marvelous job she did. She only gave up 2 goals in two games in the Frozen Four. That's amazing! Plus, during the regular season, she was a lights out goalie. What a treasure she is.

So many talented young ladies, and a dedicated coaching staff. They're going to be in the thick of it again next year. I just hope they do something to give them more TV exposure, and never return to a place like the Frozen Four was played this year. Play the darned thing in places where the hockey venue can take center stage, not play second fiddle to a cup of latte at a local bistro. That attendance was pure absurdity.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One last thing about the game or I guess more about the transfer portal. What we saw by the Buckeyes in 2023-24 is exactly why I have an issue with the TP and "unlimited" #'s coming through it. The Buckeyes had a really good, senior laden team in 2022-23 and lost to the Badgers in the finals. They go out and get 6 new players through the TP, 4 of which were absolute stars on their previous teams and win a Championship.

While I have no issues with students/players deciding a school isn't right for them and wanting to transfer, I do think they need to set limits on how many each specific sport/program can resign through the TP each year.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One last thing about the game or I guess more about the transfer portal. What we saw by the Buckeyes in 2023-24 is exactly why I have an issue with the TP and "unlimited" #'s coming through it. The Buckeyes had a really good, senior laden team in 2022-23 and lost to the Badgers in the finals. They go out and get 6 new players through the TP, 4 of which were absolute stars on their previous teams and win a Championship.

While I have no issues with students/players deciding a school isn't right for them and wanting to transfer, I do think they need to set limits on how many each specific sport/program can resign through the TP each year.

It's the old story about how money talks, and the NIL is having a huge bearing on recruiting.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's the old story about how money talks, and the NIL is having a huge bearing on recruiting.

Yup and not just recruiting, but the transfer portal as well. Which I guess in a sense has now become a part of the recruiting process for college coaches. They are having to "recruit" their own players to stay out of the portal, while "recruiting" other teams players that enter the portal. One has to guess that each University has hired a "portal team" for each sport and that team is actively recruiting it. One also has to wonder what the poaching rules are. For instance can Mark Johnson convince a local business to shell out $10K as NIL money, for him to try and entice a star player on another team to transfer to The UW?

Some of us have said it before, the Transfer Portal and NIL money is definitely ruining college sports for many fans. Reminds me of what happened to the Olympics and it once being "Amateurs Only".

Interesting website:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yikes! Here I thought they fooked up on where the women's frozen four was played. Given the empty seats for the 3 games.

On the men's side of things, they created the opposite problem by scheduling one of the 4 venues to host a 4 team quarterfinals to be held in a tiny venue!

Members online

Latest posts