Ladies and gentleman, welcome the to the main event!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem is it wont be that cold this early in the season.
The Giants game was horrible for the whole team and you cannot pin that dumb play as to why they lost the game.
It was cold when they played seattle the week before and it didn't seem to bother him all that much. Maybe the teams he has played on the last few years just havnt been that good. Not an excuse by any means but you have to look at the whole picture

It wasnt cold it was snowy 31 degrees is nothing..

So dont say it was cold on that night

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I disagree that we should win on paper. MN has a buttload of talent. We have way more talent at Wr and secondary, but then again, we have one of the best units in the league. But their Oline is way better than ours, and their Dline is amazingly talented. They have very good LBs, and to top it all, they have Favre and AP, and Chester Taylor as a backup (he would easily start in our team).

But if we play with a chip on our shoulders, it should be able to keep it competitive, if not win it.

As far as actually throwing the ball, I have no doubt Rodgers will be better than Favre. However, it's not just about throwing the ball. Changing plays, moving the chains. Favre has excellent recognition skills.

I think as far as the QB duel, there're 2 crucial points:

For them, Favre has to keep his cool and avoid throwing ints (which is awfully hard considering we have Charles Woodson, Nick Collins and Johnny Jolly:jester:) . He's gonna be pressured, and if their running game and screen game stalls, he'll try to make something out of nothing. As great as that last play was against SF, 2 defenders were just too slow in getting to him, and the guy covering Lewis just blew it. Our guys are much faster in bringing the pressure, and our secondary is way better than the 49ers.

For us, Rodgers cannot keep getting 3rd and longs. If that happens, he'll not be able to get in a rythm, and then it'll be a long game... He needs to both estabilish the big play threat, as well as keep moving the chains. And it'll be really hard, because I doubt we'll be able to run on 1st down.

And Hauschild, MM is better than Clueless, but creative is definitely not a definition of him. Until proven contraty, I don't think we can outscheme anyone, except on defense. And even then, letting Chillar at S in the 2 minute defense is NOT a smart decision...

Wow. Good post. Agreed 100%. ...and I particularly agree with your last paragraph. I've been telling people that the Packers "ace in the hole" is Childress.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean like how everyone said the Bengal game was "a very winnable game"...

hahhahahahahahahahaha....:yahoo:

Pitt thought same, you know the defending SB champs

Lot of people might look back and think damn that Bengal team was pretty damn good

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now MN is NOT a playoff contender. Anyone who saw them slip by the spirited 49'ers team on Sunday knows this is true. They were inconsistent on both sides of the ball. Shaun Hill was picking them apart & TE Vernon Davis had his best game as a pro. Hill was only sacked once.

Their run defense is still top-notch though. Mike Singeltary never gave up on the run as evidenced by the 25 carries given to Gore's injury replacement Glen Coffee. He had a 13-yard gain on one carry but the other 24 carries resluted in 41 yards, an abysmal 1.7 yards per carry.

Conversely A.D. (as in All Day, his true nickname, not A.P.) will punish tacklers all day with his bruising style of running, reminiscent of Ahman Green circa 2003. That may be the un-doing of the Packers in this game. 148 yards on the ground to STL doesn't instill any confidence in me that A.D. will find it tough at all against GB's D. If that happens then #4 will be a non-factor, only called upon to make an occasional 3rd down toss or a few screens.

I'm holding out hope that GB pulls it all together & brings home the W. Make no mistake they want to take it to #4. I was at the morning practice the day #4 signed with the Vikings & several players & coaches were wearing purple #4's. They are most assuredly out to prove they made the right choice, just as #4 wants to prove them wrong.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gary Ellerson on wssp sports radio in Milwaukee said that during the Bengal ( was alumni game) he was on sideline and talking to some of the guys, and according to Gary those guys were ALREADY looking to play the Vikings..I think his words were the guys are chopping at the bit?

Maybe the team as a whole has been so focused on this MNF game that it has taken away some aspects of the last 2 games?

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is it wont be that cold this early in the season.
The Giants game was horrible for the whole team and you cannot pin that dumb play as to why they lost the game.
It was cold when they played seattle the week before and it didn't seem to bother him all that much. Maybe the teams he has played on the last few years just havnt been that good. Not an excuse by any means but you have to look at the whole picture

Ummmm, the Seahawks game was about 30 degrees & the next week the Giants game was about -3 degrees.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I think cold weather does affect 'Ol Favry. Does anyone remember the NFC Championship game against the Giants 2 years ago? What I remember is him standing around with his hands in his warmer until he had to do something and then he threw an interception to lose the game. Also I think ESPN brought up a stat after the game showing how he has a terrible record in recent years in games where it gets below a certain temperature.

Mike McCarthy gets my vote for worst gameplanning ever - remember the frozen footballs? Instead of actually practicing outdoors like NYG did, MM thought it wasn't necessary to make his players practice in the cold elements until the game itself. Big mistake.

The D-line rotation had kept all the lineman fresh until Jolly & Cole went on IR. That's why the NYG running game wore out the GB D to the tune of 40 minutes time of possession.

AWOL in that game: Ryan Grant, 29 rush yards. Greg Jennings, one catch, 14 yards. Jon Ryan, 6 punts 28.2 yard average.

#4 was 19 of 35 pass attempts for 236 yards, 2 TDs & 2 INTs. Actually a decent performance given the conditions. Manning was 21 of 40 pass attempts for 254 yards, no TDs, no INTs. That last INT is what everyone remembers though, not the TD to Driver or the TD to Lee.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy gets my vote for worst gameplanning ever - remember the frozen footballs? Instead of actually practicing outdoors like NYG did, MM thought it wasn't necessary to make his players practice in the cold elements until the game itself. Big mistake.
Well, in his defense, we didn't have the Ray Nitschke field. That's exactly why it was built.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they could have opened the doors to the Hutson center...Or did they?

what is the field they used for training camp before Rays? could have used that too

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I think cold weather does affect 'Ol Favry. Does anyone remember the NFC Championship game against the Giants 2 years ago? What I remember is him standing around with his hands in his warmer until he had to do something and then he threw an interception to lose the game. Also I think ESPN brought up a stat after the game showing how he has a terrible record in recent years in games where it gets below a certain temperature.

Well, in his defense, we didn't have the Ray Nitschke field. That's exactly why it was built.

What about Clark Hinkle Field? It's been there for many years. Nothing wrong with practicing inside Lambeau either.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark Hinkle field has a different surface. Don't know if that would be a problem though.

The Don Hutson Center is indoors, not sure how opening the doors would aclimate the players...

And practicing at Lambeau could absolutely wreck the turf. Not an option.

And there is more to it than just not practicing in the cold. The team wasn't build to the cold and the wind. And I can't afirm if players didn't complain about playing outside. Of course, those two are problems within themselves...

Hey, MM's adaptability problems and halftime adjustements are well documented. I just think this one wasn't a poor decision, based on the circumstances.

Members online

Latest posts