1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lacy Needs an Awesome Nick-Name

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Chicocheese, Oct 21, 2013.

1. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +293
    Although the NBA is a joke now, I'm a life-long, die-hard Bucks fan, always have been. Even when the stupid Bulls won 6, I never wavered. I'm still down with JACK ... SIKMA. 43, Milwaukee Bucks.

2. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +135
    i was gonna say that i saw a banner at the vikes games saying "the Hammer"

3. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,160
    After watching him last night, I kept thinking "that's guy's a tank". So I like the Tank suggestion.

4. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    With the way he keeps plowing along.... I think that "the dozer" is fitting.

5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,124
    I can recall one "circle button" this season, executed to good effect.

Not using it has more to do with ball protection, injury prevention and staying north-south for fall-forward yards. It's a high risk / high reward move...ditching it is a move toward to a more conservative but more consistent style.

"Need" doesn't really enter into it.

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,124
    When MM ran Lacy back out after the Starks TD, the thought crossed my mind, "what is he being punished for?"

With the game in hand, Lacy ran 9 times for 17 yds. and caught one ball for minus yardage in the the 2 possessions preceding the kneel-downs. At the same time, a fresh and effective Starks showing his old burst was sitting on the bench.

Lacy ended up with 33 touches with a lot of hard yards. That's a very high work load. Sitting him would have put him at a more reasonable 23 touches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    He used it yesterday.

8. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    I don't think it had anything to do with punishing Starks. It probably had everything to do with knowing we needed Lacy to bang out those tough yards to help kill the clock. That has never been Starks' forte.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings:
    +156
    I don't know what the fans should name him, but the opponents should just address him as "Sir"!

• Like Like x 2
  10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,124
    The question was, what was LACY being punished for?

Your characterization of Starks is puzzling. He's a north-south, fall forward, move-the-pile guy. He's been effective at it when healthy, which has not been all that often.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,124
    I can't say I noticed it, but I'll take your word for it. If you want to argue that spin moves in the hole are his defining characteristic, knock yourself out.

12. M&MCheesehead

M&MCheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I like the one earlier "the tundra tank"

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    I didn't see anything to indicate Lacy was being punished for anything.

Are you kidding? Running out the clock on the ground has been this team's weakness for years. Starks has been here for several of those years. Starks doesn't do well against 8 man fronts and never has. Lacy can.

If Starks was all you are saying he is, we wouldn't have drafted Lacy. Starks is a run-to-daylight guy.

14. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    It wasn't a quick spin in space. It was in the 4th quarter some time. He was running up the middle and put his shoulder into a linebacker and spun away from him for an extra yard or two. He spun right into another guy but it did get him some extra distance.

15. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    When did I say that? Please quit putting words in people's mouths, particularly mine.

16. Gopackgogal

Gopackgogal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Kinda feeling the Tundra Tank. IDK is anyone saw the fans at the game had a sign Eddie "the hammer" Lacy

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,124
    GoPGo -

Let's look at these points one by one:

1) You said, "Lacy already has a nickname going back a couple of years. It's 'Circle Button.'" Pardon me for thinking that is some kind of endorsement for that nickname.

2) Then you were quick to point out you saw one in this last game: "He used it yesterday", followed by, "It wasn't a quick spin in space." You evidently don't know what "Circle Button" refers to. Or did you forgot what you said earlier? Who could say. In any case, I suggest you google "Lacy Circle Button" or just watch these videos:

Here's a run play example:

Or if you prefer a pass play:

These are the "Circle Button" moves. I'll repeat, so far this season I've noted one. The reason? Do some more googling for Eddie Lacy interviews starting in training camp. He stated he was shelving the move, at least temporarily, as much as he can, implying he could not guarantee instincts might take over from time to time. He was concerned, given the speed and power of NFL players, he would be risking getting clocked coming out of the move in a vulnerable position. That makes perfect sense to me.

3) My "punished" question was a play on words...punished for a transgression?/allowing his body to be punished? That we would needlessly allow his body to be punished begs the first question since there is no rational answer to second. Having him take that many touches when the game was in hand was a head scratcher. We were not "running out the clock" in any critical sense...we were not clinging to a 3 or 6 point lead...it was garbage time. The results were predictable in those final possessions...did you note the stats I quoted?

4) Given the above, Starks would have been an obvious choice to close out the game...or at least take one of those two possessions.

5) You said, "If Starks was all you are saying he is, we wouldn't have drafted Lacy." He is exactly what I said he is...he's a between-the-tackles runner, always has been. When healthy he's been effective. He's not Lacy, but he's certainly capable of bettering 17 yds. in 9 carries during garbage time, even with the O-Line having already packed it in. Among other reasons, we drafted Lacy because Starks middle name might as well be "Knee Sprain".

6) You said, "Starks is a run-to-daylight guy." My response is best expressed as "LOL". He may look that way to you because he goes through these spells of impatience where he hits the line fast; if he catches the hole clean to the second level he can make some hay; if he doesn't, well, he shows some push if not Lacy's power because Starks still has the propensity to run upright, which will never change. He's consistently showed good fall-forward. Starks is also a poor blocker and not much to speak of as a pass catcher. He is not a 3 down back...another reason why we drafted Lacy.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  18. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    Hammer is being said by even my Bear fan friends....I think Hammer is growing and it's fitting.

19. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    How about: Aaron "The Rifleman" Rodgers or Jordy "Mayday" Nelson .

20. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +384
    Locomotive Lacy

21. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +384
    Couldn't agree more. Thought I saw somewhere that in just 6 games Lacy has already reached half the total touches he took in his final year at Alabama.

Let's limit his touches to keep him fresh in the postseason. The Vikings game wasn't close; it wasn't necessary to use Lacy in order to run out the clock. I say give Franklin more run under such circumstances.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  22. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I prefer the Tank but I don't have a say. We'll see if anything sticks. I always love me some military references to the game.

23. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +323
    I'd like to see them get Franklin some more touches, really like what he does in the run and pass. Of Course MM might still have him in the dog house.

24. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +323
    Yeah it's not the 70s anymore where you could just pump him full of pain killers and send him back out. Now teams, most, actually worry about the health of the players.

25. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +209
    I call Rodgers "The Assassin" due to his incredible accuracy with which he kills opposing defenses. When it comes to Nelson, I simply shout "Oh Lordy!" Jordy Nelson!

I like what I saw out of Franklin vs the Bengals BUT he really muffed a return last week vs. Minnesota.