1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lack the Comeback W..

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackerFanLV, Nov 16, 2015.

1. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +182
    Just curious of you guys and gals thoughts on this teams ability of comeback wins? The past 2 games the pack had chances to win. Thoughts???

2. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,799
    it's exactly how the season has gone. They can do a lot right, but it's always something that goes wrong. When Rodgers has protection, he's been fairly good. When receivers get open, our line hasn't blocked anybody and Rodgers can't find them. When a receiver gets open he can't catch it, or Rodgers throws a bad ball. When the defense gets a turnover, we follow it up with a 3 and out. When we finally get into scoring position to win the game, our pretty reliable kicker hits one of the worst kicks I've seen in my life from anybody and I used to kick FG's in high school, so I've seen some bad ones.

This team always seems to be missing something, and it's always someone different.

3. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +602
    This is the way it has always been with Aaron under center, he does not believe in taking chances, he will lose a game before he takes a risk to win a game, not because he wants to lose a game but because he believes that as long as he does not throw an interception, they have a chance to win. It really is that simple. Every single QB that has the "comeback gene" has a higher percentage of interceptions when trailing and they all have a greater comeback percentage than Rodgers.

Aaron's biggest strength is also his biggest weakness in regards to "comeback wins"

He would actually win more games like this if he was more aggressive, would he throw more interceptions? Sure, but there is time and place for being aggressive and when trailing by two scores more is when it should happen but for whatever reason Rodgers and the Packers are only aggressive when they are rolling another team or apparently on 3rd and 1, because you know you actually need to throw 30 yards passes to pick up a 3rd and 1 situation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,799
    I'd say there were a good number of passes to Adams that weren't risk aversive. I saw him thread the needle to Perillo on multiple occasions yesterday, a long first down and a TD pass that were anything but risk aversive throws. The missed 2 point conversion wasn't giving a covered Adams a chance to make a play?

5. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +182
    I have to agree with you, yesterday the comeback win was given to the pack on a silver platter and the pack offense could not even gain 15 yards to give Mason a better shot at a field goal. Aaron is 5-24 when trailing in the 4th and 0-25 when trailing by 9+ in the 2nd half. Im not a real fan of stats I dont feel they tell all the truth but i thought it was a interesting stats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    Actually Rodgers is 8-32 with the Pacjers trailing in the fourth and 0-18 when trailing by 9+ points.

It's true that his winning percentage is too low on that occasions though.

7. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +342
    So Rodgers= entire offense? Can we really put the drop by Adams or sissy FG miss on him? He came through and threw some amazing passes when he needed to at the end.

I blame the coaches got being unable to put together a winning scheme or coach players like Adams to play at the same level when it matters.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    It's for sure not all Rodgers fault only as he has led the offense to multiple scoring drives when trailingbin the fourth quarter to give the team the lead during his career just for the defense to mess it up. The team's record in those games isn't good enough though.

9. Patriotplayer90

Ratings:
    +342
    Yeah, and that sums up the coaching problem. Yesterday, the loss to Seattle in the playoffs, and the last SF playoff loss were all similar-Rodgers wasn't having his best game, but he put his team in a position to tie or win at the end-this is a clutch QB in my books. The team failed him each time. This tells me that the coaches can't win close games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. PackerFanLV

PackerFanLV Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +182
    Thanks for the correction if your stats are 100% correct. Like I said I'm not a fan of stats they don't tell the full story. Yea I agree with you tho that percentage is far too low, But what are your thoughts about this subject Capt?

11. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Yeah, the coaches should have made sure to working on catching the ball and having Crosby kick FGs...

Doesn't make sense to blame coaches for those mistakes.

12. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    How does that compare to other top QBs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    Trailing in the fourth quarter:

Brady 31-44 (.413)
    Peyton 42-68 (.382)
    Wilson 8-15 (.348)
    Roethlisberger 23-47 (.329)
    Eli 25-76 (.248)
    Flacco 14-43 (.246)
    Brees 24-80 (.231)
    Rodgers 8-32 (.200)

Trailing by 9+ points in the fourth quarter:

Wilson 3-5 (.375)
    Brady 8-32 (.200)
    Peyton 10-45 (.182)
    Eli 7-55 (.113)
    Roethlisberger 4-33 (.108)
    Brees 6-57 (.095)
    Flacco 2-25 (.074)
    Rodgers 0-18 (.000)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +602
    It is actually quite well known that he falls behind the other top tier qb's and quite a few mid level ones. When it comes to 4th quarter comebacks he shares company with tannehil, kaepernick, Cassel, Jason Campbell, Fitzpatrick and Grossman. Most top tier qb's have a comeback % around 35-50 while Rodgers is sitting at 20.

Oops càptain posted just before me and obviously places track this differently as the bleacher report article I saw had Brady at 50 and Peyton at 48 with eli at 46.

15. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,054
    I like Rodgers as much as anybody, but to blame EVERYBODY but him ??? :eek:, That is a very blinkered view in my view. He is driving this bus. He is overthrowing, underthrowing, almost looking ordinary..........Everybody is responsible IMO, and he needs to step up.

16. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I'm more impressed with the relative lack of opportunities. Eli & Peyton over 100? Big Ben 70+?

17. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +184
    It's the start, not the end that's causing problems.

Comebacks were decent even without the win's. If not for the comebacks the loss margin would be far higher.

18. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +670
    Divide by the years they started, and it's about 5-6 for all three.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    Well, Brady (34.72%) and Rodgers (35.71%) are the only ones who have trailed during less than 40% of their starts in the fourth quarter.

20. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Pack have won 4 straight North Division titles. In 3 of those 4 seasons, the Pack came from behind in the standings to win the division. How is that for comeback percentages? 75%!!

21. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485

Seattle playoff loss...He tossed 2 int, 1st at Seattles goal line and the other at Seattles 26 yard line.. If he doesnt toss those, should have at least attp for FG and if only one was made, the Packers should have won the game

19 out of 34 178 yards 1 td and 2 ints--That wasnt the team failed him, he helped to create the need for a come back

That game truly should have been Packers 19 ( one FG in 1st q instead of Ints from Rodgers) and Seattle 7 at start of 4th

If all played out the same, as a lot of things could have been done differently by Seattle for play calling and adjustments if down more then they were....But the final could have been 25-22 Packers...

22. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    I don't blame Rodgers for the first interception as he thought he had a free play on it but the refs missed the defense jumping offsides.

There's no doubt he didn't play up to his potential during the game though.

23. Patriotplayer90

Ratings:
    +342
    Wasn't the other INT because him and the receiver weren't on the same page? He threw it right to a spot where the DB was, while the WR was running the other way. A receiver running the wrong route seemed to be the more likely reason for that rather than just a bad throw.

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    On the second interception it was pretty obvious that Rodgers expected the receiver to run a different route. It was surprising that he wasn´t on the same page with Cobb on that one though.

25. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Would you blame mm for not challenging something because "he thought" it wouldnt go in favor of them?

Before you break it all down.. The principle is the same...don't do something because you are assuming it was okay..