Lack of Class... but not by Ryan

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Havel certainly took the low road in this trash piece – that shows how easy it is to manipulate information when taken out of context. Try reading Longwell’s answers to questions asked in a pretty standard interview for any big free agency signing.

BY BOB SANSEVERE
Pioneer Press
Here's Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell:
Every town in America has an Applebee's restaurant. In Green Bay, Applebee's was about as fancy as you got. When my wife, Sarah, and I would get a baby sitter, a nice date night was Applebee's. In Minnesota, I'm sure there will be plenty of options before Applebee's comes into the rotation.

I've always been curious how I would do kicking in a domed stadium. I know for a fact there are kicks I missed at Lambeau that I hit well and guessed wrong with the wind. Or there were kicks when I slipped on the field and missed. I'm curious like everyone else what I can do in the Metrodome. I'm looking forward to being able to swing away and know my foot is going to stick in the ground. And I don't have to play the wind.

Sarah and I both sat in with coach Brad Childress. She came out of the meeting and said: "That is an amazing man. A great, quality guy." I know he'll be a great head coach. We were in awe when we left. We felt it was just right.

The first thing we bought after I signed with the Vikings was a boat. We live in Orlando in the offseason, and the community is part of a chain of 12 lakes. We've been hemming and hawing about a boat the last year or so. We decided when we signed the contract we'd go ahead and get one. We got a 21-foot boat. It's less of a luxury boat and more of a hot rod. We can pull the kids in a tube with it.

My son, Reece, is 4, and my daughter, Shaye, is 3. You cannot get away with anything. Your kids are constantly observing and picking up what you say and do. You have to watch how you act.

We go out the back gate of the community we live in and we're 12 minutes from Disney World. We have season passes. The kids love it, and Sarah and I are big kids. We love it.

I play golf. I'm pretty good at it. I'm plus-1.7, which is on the other side of zero. I'm better than scratch. I won the club championship a couple of weeks ago.

I get up every morning at 6 o'clock and work out. I get to the driving range at 7:15, and I'm usually the first guy to tee off. The carts here go 20 miles an hour. I play nine holes in 50 minutes, 18 holes in an hour and 45 minutes. Usually, I'm back in the door about 9:30.

We live in Isleworth. This is where Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara also live. We're in the same community. We live off the fourth hole of the golf course.

There are guys I know who have just become Viking fans. I talked to Lee Janzen. He was born in Minnesota and was pretty happy about the whole thing. It's hard to get Tiger out of the Raider days. He grew up near them. He's dyed in the wool.

My favorite movie is "Top Gun." It was the first movie I saw that just kind of wowed me. It was the first movie I can remember seeing that had the great soundtrack and jets, and Kelly McGillis was cute at the time. I was about 11 when it came out. I wanted to be a fighter pilot in the Navy. When we travel on the road, "Top Gun" is in my envelope of DVDs.

My favorite TV show is "The Office." I cannot get enough of "The Office." I think it's the funniest show I've ever seen. I just roll when Dwight starts making some comments. It's cast so well.

I played soccer and baseball growing up. In seventh grade, I went out for football for the first time. I stayed with baseball and football all the way through my senior year of high school. I played quarterback, kicked and punted.

If a movie was made about my life, who would I want to play me? I think Tom Cruise.

If I could change anything about my life, I would give myself the ability to sing. You don't want to hear me sing. I've always watched "American Idol." Simon Cowell would say I would be a karaoke version of a bad pub singer in England.

The best advice I ever got was from my dad. From day one, he told me to always show class. I've lived my life that way. There's "please" and "thank you" and "do the right thing at the right time."

The worst advice I ever got was: "Why don't you just kick it in the end zone in December in Lambeau?" Not going to happen. It's impossible.

If I could trade places for a day with any celebrity, I'd probably pick Tiger Woods. I've played golf with him. I can hit the ball a long way — 290, 295 yards off the tee — and he's still 60 yards longer than me. I'd like to do what he can do for a day. He has another gear that's just incredible.

I want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Ryan Longwell, who lived his life with dignity and class."
=================================================================
He bought the boat for his Florida home -- the reference was to something he did with his bonus money.

"The first thing we bought after I signed with the Vikings was a boat. We live in Orlando in the offseason, and the community is part of a chain of 12 lakes. We've been hemming and hawing about a boat the last year or so. We decided when we signed the contract we'd go ahead and get one. We got a 21-foot boat. It's less of a luxury boat and more of a hot rod. We can pull the kids in a tube with it."

He did not disrespect the Packers organization in any way, shape, or form.

Ryan L. was a great citizen as a Packer and as a part of the community. No where in this article does he show a lack of class or take a single shot at the organization or the community.

You have to realize that there is an enormous difference between World Class restraunt choices in Minneapolis and the limited choices in Green Bay. Again if you read what he said:

"Every town in America has an Applebee's restaurant. In Green Bay, Applebee's was about as fancy as you got. When my wife, Sarah, and I would get a baby sitter, a nice date night was Applebee's. In Minnesota, I'm sure there will be plenty of options before Applebee's comes into the rotation."

Finally, I want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Ryan Longwell, who lived his life with dignity and class."

Not a single controversial statement in the whole interview.

I have never eaten in one (an Applebee/s) -- so don't know much about it. My impression is that it is a typical clean suburban restaurant with fairly typical up-to-date menu items presented in a pretty generic fashion.

Saying you are looking forward to the advantages of choice when comparing GB and Mpls in quality and variety off dining options seems pretty obvious to me. A single neighborhood in So Mpls with bury GB in choices and quality of restaurants.

How is it an insult to the organization or to the town?

Ryan Longwell was given many awards for his charitable giving and was named Green Bay’s Man of the Year in 2004 for his community involvement and leadership. Real classy responses guys – especially to an article you did not even bother to read
tromadz said:
I think his wife is gonna have an affair with Childress.

what a *****
wow, what a p.o.s.

He has made my "Top 10 Douches" list.[/

greenbegas said:
What a dic*! There are plenty of nice places to eat in GB... You just need to know where to go... Best Burger: Kroll's, Best Chili: Chili John's, Best Fish Fry: Meriques, Best Fine Dining: Black and Tan

To diss the town that made him really ticks me off. Without GB he would be nothing more than a computer salesman. He lucked out and now he thinks he is awesome. I hope he breaks his leg.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:
I think his wife is gonna have an affair with Childress.

what a *****
wow, what a p.o.s.

He has made my "Top 10 Douches" list.[/

Yep, he bashed the city that gave him a chance, when he had a snowballs chance in hell of making it in this league. Who gave him a shot? GB did. Now what does he do? Bashes the city. Real classy.

And the Childress\Ryans wife line is SO obviously a joke...but i forgot, you dont understand humor. It goes right through you like prune juice.

edit - applebees is good btw.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, no other team ever looks for kickers.

Come on, get real! Scouts knew about Longwell. No one gave him a job he earned it.

He came to Green Bay and overcame the odds and beat out a high draft choice for the job. Before last season he had one of the highest FG % in the history of the NFL.

I was very critical of Ryan Longwell blaming holders publically last season -- even though it was obviously a problem all season -- he should not have gone there. In everyother way the man was a CLASS act. There is not a single rip of Green Bay as a city or the Packers as an organization.

He has said he loved being a Packer and had an opportunity that he could not pass for himself or his family.

If you think calling a man's wife a ***** is funny -- you are seriously disturbed.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody gave him a job, hell nobody gave him a SHOT. But GB did.

Also,

I do, and I am.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce,
He took at sarcastic shot at our town. If you can't see that I am sorry.

Am I gonna sit home and cry about it? No... I just think it could have been left unsaid.

Is it THAT big of a deal... probably not. I agree. However, his comments about not missing in a dome are kinda dumb if you think about it.
He will be fighting winds in GB, CHICAGO, NEW YORK, CAROLINA, CINCI AND BALTIMORE next season.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Also,

I do, and I am.

Once again, you just plain don't know what you are talking about. He was in camp with SF and did not make the team. He had offers to come to a number of camps to try and compete for a job. He thought he was better than Conway (who was a rookie and struggling) so he chose GB -- he was right.

It is not funny to call any woman a ***** -- especially not a man's wife. Someday when you grow up you may learn this -- hopefully not the hard way.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I wanted to stay out of this but now there are two of you and Bruce is right. Ryan did not take a shot at Green Bay and if you both read the piece in full you will see that. Common gents, stay cool !!

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wouldn't know if you didn't live there. It's like he is saying there is nothing to do there and that Minn. is a better place as a town. If you would have asked him that a year ago, I bet he would have ripped Minn... Have you ever been to GB?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:

Also,

I do, and I am.

Once again, you just plain don't know what you are talking about. He was in camp with SF and did not make the team. He had offers to come to a number of camps to try and compete for a job. He thought he was better than Conway (who was a rookie and struggling) so he chose GB -- he was right.

It is not funny to call any woman a ***** -- especially not a man's wife. Someday when you grow up you may learn this -- hopefully not the hard way.

Sorry, preacher. My apologies. I will go turn on the 600 club now. This devil of a device called the internet is nothing but a cesspool of nonbelievers and debauchery.

Dont tell people whats not funny. Thats like telling someone whats not pretty. Its subjective. Someday before you die you may learn this.

But GB brought ryan in after his 'great showing' in SF. Hes not even an athlete.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greenbegas said:
Bruce,
He took at sarcastic shot at our town. If you can't see that I am sorry.

Am I gonna sit home and cry about it? No... I just think it could have been left unsaid.

Is it THAT big of a deal... probably not. I agree. However, his comments about not missing in a dome are kinda dumb if you think about it.
He will be fighting winds in GB, CHICAGO, NEW YORK, CAROLINA, CINCI AND BALTIMORE next season.

He was being interviewed. The question was related to what advantages did he see in coming to a big Urban area Vs the smallest NFL venue. IT WAS NOT A SHOT. Edited out was his saying he loved his time in Green Bay, it was a great place to have a family...

Have you ever been interviewed? Things are manipulated easily. Read the whole article and tell me where was the shot?

He will kick in a dome 10 times next season. That is quite a difference. All kicker admit it is a huge advantage. It is pretty obvious.

Seriously read the whole article. You will feel different.

I have no problem with Longwell looking out for his family, just as I have no problem with TT deciding not to pay the big bucks for him.

But to try and make a scapegoat out of a guy who has never said anything but good things about Green Bay is just bitter whining -- exactly what he is wrongly being accused of.

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce,
I guess it was a bit out of character for Longwell... I understand what you are saying, but it turned into a "shot" when he took a sarcastic tone.
He said: In Green Bay, Applebee's was about as fancy as you got.

That is complete garbage. There are plenty of awesome spots in GB to eat. Some are very fancy actually: Pier 64, Black and Tan, Victoria's etc etc.

My point was, why be sarcastic about a own that has given you everything? The fans treated him as a god when he was here and I guarantee you when you ask the majority of Vikes fans who their kicker is, they won't even know his name.

Just because he is kicking in a dome ten times, that means he is facing another kicker that kicks in a dome during the same game.

I will say, however, that Havel took a very surprising tone in this article, as if he wanted to shake up some contreversy a little bit. Most papers wouldn't even considered this article I would assume.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greenbegas said:
You wouldn't know if you didn't live there. It's like he is saying there is nothing to do there and that Minn. is a better place as a town. If you would have asked him that a year ago, I bet he would have ripped Minn... Have you ever been to GB?

Of course I have been to Green Bay and to many games at Lambeau. You are being defensive about a place that does not need defending -- he did not attack GB. He lives in Florida. Read the article -- you will feel better. :D

tromadz said:
Bruce said:
tromadz said:

Also,

I do, and I am.

Sorry, preacher. My apologies. I will go turn on the 600 club now. This devil of a device called the internet is nothing but a cesspool of nonbelievers and debauchery.

Dont tell people whats not funny. Thats like telling someone whats not pretty. Its subjective. Someday before you die you may learn this.

But GB brought ryan in after his 'great showing' in SF. Hes not even an athlete.

I am not a preacher. You can take your pathetic little prune juice shots and once again show your ignorance:

"Hes not even an athlete"

The guy was a soccer player. He was the starting QB, P and FG kicker on his HS football team. He went to college on a full boat scholarship to a division one football team. And he hold many GB (the most storied franchise in the NFL) kicking and scoring records. He is a great golfer, who many predict could get a PGA card.

But again, what would you know about being an athlete.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a kicker

that is all

hes a great golfer? A soccer player? now hes tiger woods and david beckham?

HE IS A KICKER.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, hes a class act all the way, who holds Gb records, which mean theres no possible way he was taking shots at GB...somehow that makes sense to people.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
greenbegas said:
Bruce,
I guess it was a bit out of character for Longwell... I understand what you are saying, but it turned into a "shot" when he took a sarcastic tone.
He said: In Green Bay, Applebee's was about as fancy as you got.

That is complete garbage. There are plenty of awesome spots in GB to eat. Some are very fancy actually: Pier 64, Black and Tan, Victoria's etc etc.

My point was, why be sarcastic about a own that has given you everything? The fans treated him as a god when he was here and I guarantee you when you ask the majority of Vikes fans who their kicker is, they won't even know his name.

Just because he is kicking in a dome ten times, that means he is facing another kicker that kicks in a dome during the same game.

I will say, however, that Havel took a very surprising tone in this article, as if he wanted to shake up some contreversy a little bit. Most papers wouldn't even considered this article I would assume.

I am not trying to argue with you. But I think you are reading something into it that is not there. He signed a big contract. He was being interviewed. I have been interviewed many times -- he actually did a very nice job of not giving them any red meat to twist.

Green Bay is a nice small city. It is a great place to raise kids. He loved his time in GB. You may have treated him well, but you obviously are pretty new to forums and just how petty & fickle fans (like Tromadz and others) can be.

He said Applebee's was where he and his wife would go on a date in GB -- that is true for many who live in GB. It is not a shot -- it is a lifestyle choice.

I own a condo in Marina del Rey, CA on the beach, a home in Minneapolis on a lake, and a home on the river in Buffalo City, WI. My favorite place to retreat is Buffalo City -- the fishing is unbelievable and I can watch Eagles from anywhere in my house year round. They have a great breakfast at the Bar down the street and the Golden Frog in Fountain City has a great fish fry -- But believe me if I am looking for culture or fine dining Minneapolis and LA are the places to be.

He has repeatedly said he loved his time in GB. He was a solid community member and a good ambassador for the Packers.

If the Applebee's comment after all the contributions he has made on and off the field qualify him as being fair game to be called mentally retarded, a ****, a douchbag and his wife a ***** -- I would suggest that perhaps Green Bay fans are not as great as we claim.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why say anything at all? Why not say "GB was great, i look forward to my time with the vikings"

Why not be silent like Flanny,Wayne,Thomas,Diggs,etc.

But you know it all, my apologies, preacher.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
He's a kicker

that is all

hes a great golfer? A soccer player? now hes tiger woods and david beckham?

HE IS A KICKER.

He was also a baseball player and a starting QB and punter on his football team. He plays golf playing on the same courses the Pros play on using the same tees and shoots below par -- in almost any thinking persons mind that would qualify for as an athlete. He just one the club championship at the same course where Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara -- several major championships between them.

I know you don't track well, but you are the one who said he was not an athlete -- once again without a single piece of information or knowledge to back up your assertion.

Ignorance is not a crime, but there is no need for you to flaunt yours so blatantly.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, he can go play tennis or golf, or bocce ball or whatever.

we obviously disagree on what an athlete is.

Bye preacher.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
why say anything at all? Why not say "GB was great, i look forward to my time with the vikings"

Again, you show your ignorance. He was being interviewed by a major newspaper after signing the 2nd richest contract (at the time the richest) ever signed by a kicker.

Flanny has ripped TT, Wayne not only ripped the Packers he successfully sued them, Diggs said he did not want GB to match his contract when he signed as RFA with Detroit.

I don't now it all, but I know a lot more than nothing -- which you seem to keep wanting to prove to everyone that you know less than (nothing).

Give it up with the name calling. I posted an article. This is a football forum for football discussion.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan is under the impression he was not appreciated by the Packers and wanted to take any slight towards the organization he could while still trying to spare dignity.

Regardless, the man doesn't want to kick with wind. He complained numerous times(when he wasnt complaining about the hold) about it while immediately stating he would prefer controlled climate.

BOTTOM LINE. If you can not kick with wind, get your nancy-*** out of the NFL. Football was created and MEANT to be played OUTDOORS!

Best of luck to Ryan. Avoid the defamatory comments about your previous team.

I'll miss the player Ryan Longwell, not the comments he's made or making. The Vikings got a good kicker.

PS. SIMMER DOWN THE NAMECALLING OR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Okay, if you're going to do that argument, I will take this one. Why doesn't Favre go ahead and make up his mind? He is putting stress on the organization, his fans, and the city wondering about him, and is overall delaying the progress of the organization by asking for all of this attention as everyone awaits his decision. He is hurting the team.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
tromadz said:

Okay, if you're going to do that argument, I will take this one. Why doesn't Favre go ahead and make up his mind? He is putting stress on the organization, his fans, and the city wondering about him, and is overall delaying the progress of the organization by asking for all of this attention as everyone awaits his decision.

You ARE new here. Welcome, my friend.

What you just said about Favre is what I have been saying since free agency has started. I am constantly bashed for that opinion.

Members online

Latest posts