L.A. Vikings

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Al Davis moved the Raiders because of a stadium issue. If I'm not mistaken I believe the same thing for the Rams. The more I think about it the more I am leaning to the stadium requirementse of each team.

Does that make sense to anyone who really knows? lol

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all I could find about the raiders move, still looking for the rams.
from wikipedia

The Raiders have been involved in several lawsuits with the cities of Los Angeles and Oakland, as well as with the NFL.
The Raiders sued the city of Los Angeles over the fact that the city backed out of a stadium deal for the team.
After relocating back to Oakland, they sued the NFL for interfering with the team's negotiations to build a new stadium at Hollywood Park prior to the move. The lawsuit further contended that the Raiders had the rights to put an NFL team in Los Angeles, and thus were entitled to compensation from the league for giving up those rights by moving to Oakland.
They sued the city of Oakland and the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority over Personal Seat Licenses (PSLs). When the team moved back from Los Angeles, the Raiders agreed to sell PSLs to help pay for the renovations to their stadium. But after games rarely sold out, the Raiders filed lawsuits, claiming that it was misled by the city and the Coliseum Authority with the false promise that their would be sellouts. On November 2, 2005, a settlement was announced and that they will discontinue PSLs as of the end of the 2005 season. [4
When the NFL first declined to approve the Raiders' move from Oakland to Los Angeles back in 1980, the team along with the Los Angeles Coliseum successfully sued the league for violating antitrust laws.
They were the only team that was not a defendant in the USFL's ultimately unsuccessful antitrust suit against the NFL; Davis was a witness for the USFL in that action.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I could find on the rams
from wikipedia;

As became increasingly common with sports franchises, the Rams began to blame much of their misfortune on their stadium situation. With Orange County mired in a deep recession resulting largely from defense sector layoffs, the Rams were unable to secure a new or improved stadium in the Los Angeles area, which ultimately cast their future in Southern California into doubt.

[edit]
St. Louis Era (1995-Present)
At the same time, efforts were underway to regain an NFL franchise in Saint Louis, Missouri to play in a new domed stadium slated to open in 1995. First, Anheuser-Busch scion Jim Orthwein tried, and ultimately failed, to move the New England Patriots to St. Louis. Then, despite being heavily favored to win one of the two 1995 NFL expansion franchises, St. Louis was defeated by ownership groups from Charlotte and Jacksonville. (So certain, in fact, did it appear that St. Louis would gain an expansion franchise, that the team had a name selected - the St. Louis Stallions - and t-shirts with the team's logo were made available for sale, albeit very briefly, at a number of St. Louis area sports shops.) Despite these failures, it was proven to many that St. Louis was a market with a state-of-the-art football stadium on the way and a passionate and football-starved fan base ready to embrace a return of the NFL. As such, owner Georgia Frontiere early in 1995 committed to move the franchise to St. Louis.

The move left many in the Los Angeles area embittered toward the NFL. That sentiment was best expressed by Fred Dryer, who at the time said "I hate these people [the Rams and their owner, Georgia Frontiere] for what they did, taking the Rams logo with them when they moved to St. Louis. That logo belonged to Southern California."

Due to a number of factors, the NFL has repeatedly failed in its efforts to return NFL football to the second largest media market in U.S. in the years since. Following the 1995 season, the Seattle Seahawks announced that they would move the team to Southern California. However the NFL, which had taken control of the Los Angeles market, did not approve of the move and thus forced the Seahawks to move back to Seattle. In the late 1990s a number of Los Angeles-based groups attempted to land the NFL's 32nd franchise; however Houston, Texas was awarded the franchise, largely because Houston had a solid commitment for a stadium and none of the Los Angeles-based groups did. Despite the NFL's extensive effort to return the NFL to Los Angeles, in general the Los Angeles market has been ambivalent about the absence of the NFL. Currently the likeliest venue for a return to the NFL in Los Angeles is a refurbished Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nooo - I'd rather have NO team here than Vikings!! :lol: Actually having no team works out really well for folks w/o Sunday ticket - rarely is a network game blacked out...

Members online

Latest posts