Kurt Schottenheimer?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I know he is still coaching the secondary. This is very troubling. How big of a leash will he have this year if we see the same blown coverages and miscommunications that we saw last season?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Somehow I have this feeling that if the young CB's improve under Washington's watch and the safeties struggle again... his lease will get very tight very quick.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not in a position to judge the quality of a coach, much less a position coach. It would appear that Schot, may be lacking based on miscommunications and blown coverages, etc., but obviously some of the blame must be placed on the players themselves and some may also go to Washington and the DC.

That being said, it would seem that improvement in the above areas must be realized this year or changes will have to be made.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well in two stints with the Pack we have seen the same results... poor secondary play. My Opinion of course.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind our pass D improved greatly over the second half of the season compared to the first. It's hard to say who was to blame, but McCarthy and co. have a lot of confidence in Schottenheimer.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not in a position to judge the quality of a coach, much less a position coach. It would appear that Schot, may be lacking based on miscommunications and blown coverages, etc., but obviously some of the blame must be placed on the players themselves and some may also go to Washington and the DC.

That being said, it would seem that improvement in the above areas must be realized this year or changes will have to be made.

I whole-heartedly agree.

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well in two stints with the Pack we have seen the same results... poor secondary play. My Opinion of course.
Mine too. Everywhere he has gone, the defense and/or secondary hasn't been good.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the D-Line improvement will help secondary and with gained experience at linebacker the secondary will be given some needed assistance but, the secondary must communicate much better than last year or the Defense will let the opponents out of trouble on 3rd down.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I won't stick up for the guy one way or th other because the first half of last year was a disaster. I will say though that the players themselves said they blew it several times and didn't make excuses like they didn't know what was going on.

Secondly, I count nothing against the guy for what happened in '03. His guys were stuck out there on an island in those stupid schemes brought in by Slowick.

There could not have been a worst job in the NFL than being the DB coach under Slowick in '03. No way Shotty was going to look good in that deal.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main reason our pass defense improved during the latter half of last year was because they had to, they were ranked dead last in the NFL for much of the year. That was in spite of a pretty good pass rush and three fairly significant free agent acquisitions, two of which who performed fairly well.

As the saying goes "Quality is always apparent". In other words, good players coached well will perform well regardless of what is happening around them. For some reason, players coached by Kurt Schottenheimer never seem to perform very well.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck,........

JMO

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe the excuses I've heard for Schottenheimer. I remember hearing the same excuses for Ahmad Carroll when I was screaming for him to be cut. I was told that he wasnt really penalized as much as I thought he was. I was even accused of not being a true Packers fan because I wanted Carroll gone. Then when he was cut, everyone was saying how they were glad he was gone and he was a bum. I don't get it.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the most important improvements I will be looking for IS and SHOULD BE the work of our D secondary. We should be improved at nickle CB so better S play will be my focus. IMO, the first time the coverage spills blood(well, maybe that's overstating it) I would hope that MM steps in at once and applies a tournquet. That tourniquet may be Winston Moss or someone else but it needs to be applied immediately. Sanders and Shott have had more than enough long-leash treatment. Busted plays not only result in 6 points, but must be a totally disheartening turn of events to the rest of the team. IMO, MM was slow in stepping in re the poor results w/ KGB at DE. When he DID step in, the benefits were immediate and will carry over to this year. Like others, I just cannot understand MM's continued patience with Sanders and Shott, or even Washington, for that matter. But, for the sake of the team, he'd better not let his apparent friendships affect his judgement. It could well adversely affect the W-L record AND his own job.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the most important improvements I will be looking for IS and SHOULD BE the work of our D secondary. We should be improved at nickle CB so better S play will be my focus. IMO, the first time the coverage spills blood(well, maybe that's overstating it) I would hope that MM steps in at once and applies a tournquet. That tourniquet may be Winston Moss or someone else but it needs to be applied immediately. Sanders and Shott have had more than enough long-leash treatment. Busted plays not only result in 6 points, but must be a totally disheartening turn of events to the rest of the team. IMO, MM was slow in stepping in re the poor results w/ KGB at DE. When he DID step in, the benefits were immediate and will carry over to this year. Like others, I just cannot understand MM's continued patience with Sanders and Shott, or even Washington, for that matter. But, for the sake of the team, he'd better not let his apparent friendships affect his judgement. It could well adversely affect the W-L record AND his own job.

Agreed. I think MM is too "nice" for his own good. I would have fired Schott long ago.

And I agree with Midwest. I don't see why people challenge your status as a Packer fan when you question something management does (or does not do). That's retarded.

Latest posts