Kuhn?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I know he's a fan favorite and I know it's totally kewl to say Kuuuuuuhn after one of his two yard runs, but why is this guy still on the roster at over $1 million/year?

Is his special teams play on par Bush? He contributes very little as a FB/RB yet keeps making the roster. I don't understand why.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I know he's a fan favorite and I know it's totally kewl to say Kuuuuuuhn after one of his two yard runs, but why is this guy still on the roster at over $1 million/year?

Is his special teams play on par Bush? He contributes very little as a FB/RB yet keeps making the roster. I don't understand why.

Pass protection. And we need it.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we have a run game full back as a lead block can come in handy....

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Not only did Kuhn obviously blow chunks on that blocked punt, but also he failed on his pass reception to get to the first down marker. He was dumped at first contact with the corner.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Kuhn’s screw up was inexcusable.

I was hoping Kuhn wouldn’t make the initial 53-man roster - I preferred a youngster getting that spot. He doesn’t fill the traditional role as a lead blocker very well and the position of FB just isn’t that important in today’s Packers offense (if it were, there would be more than one on the roster). The TEs can fill the role of lead blocker and safety valve better than Kuhn IMO. Kuhn has two strengths: He can pick up the blitz and he’s a special teams captain. He also should be providing a veteran presence to the team. (BTW any case that can be made for Kuhn to run the ball can be better made for Lacy to run it.)

IMO there’s no excuse for any pro football player to be ignorant of the rules. Not even a rookie because playing football is their job and knowing the rules is a basic requirement. And this is Kuhn’s seventh season in Green Bay. Surprisingly after the game Kuhn said he knew the rules but was trying to “make a play”. I’d have been pissed if a rookie made that mistake. And look at the play again: It was a pitiful attempt and stupid at its core. Inexcusable.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I said he was irrelevant and replaceable back in preseason. BTW who did we use as a lead blocker in this game again? Oh yeah, Quarless. Kuhn is here for pass blocking and ST. Period.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass protection. And we need it.

He's better in pass protection but a worse lead blocker than Quarless for the run game. That's a pretty big investment for a guy who is pretty limited in his skillset.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too overrated to some of the fans.
Coaches must see something in him that we don't.
Who is right?
I honestly don't know but if he contributes to things we don't see or know about, keep him.
If he is more goof up then contributes, let him go.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Way too overrated to some of the fans.
Coaches must see something in him that we don't.
Who is right?
I honestly don't know but if he contributes to things we don't see or know about, keep him.
If he is more goof up then contributes, let him go.
Mac has wanted to run singleback for a while now, and with guys coming off PUP he may see the boot, this is the last year of his contract and he's 30

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...to-packers-offense-b99142569z1-232009091.html

If asked who might be the most important Green Bay Packers player on the field Sunday at MetLife Stadium, a preponderance of those questioned would not say John Kuhn

Intellectually, Kuhn knows the offense better than anyone except Aaron Rodgers. Previously, Lacy was getting most of the third-down snaps, but when Rodgers broke his left collarbone against the Bears, McCarthy put Kuhn in that spot because he could help direct the blocking scheme and take pressure off backup Seneca Wallace.

When Wallace went down against the Eagles and Tolzien entered the game, Kuhn was constantly by his side in obvious passing downs and could be seen communicating blocking assignments to the offensive linemen and tight ends. He has helped Rodgers do that before, but playing with someone who had only taken six practice snaps going into the game called for Kuhn to take charge.

"John has been here a long time and obviously knows the offense like the back of his hand," tight end Ryan Taylor said. "It's helpful to have a guy like that to have around to direct guys and show them where to go and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Some fans on message boards and Internet chats questioned whether the Packers made the right decision paying a fullback $2.35 million this season. The Packers were running so much no-huddle offense without a fullback that it seemed like money wasted.

On Sunday, Kuhn won't be the most-watched player on the field, but the Packers need him to earn every penny of that salary. If there's a guy who really needs to be at his best, it's the one standing next to Tolzien barking out instructions to everyone else.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It goes to show that there is some method behind the madness for those who think that TT completely mishandled the QB situation.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It goes to show that there is some method behind the madness for those who think that TT completely mishandled the QB situation.

Yup. It's just proof we fans have no idea what goes on in the front office. We'll whine, complain, scrutinize and cry when the front office makes a decision we don't find **** or don't agree with, but don't acknowledge when those roster moves actually pan out.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. It's just proof we fans have no idea what goes on in the front office. We'll whine, complain, scrutinize and cry when the front office makes a decision we don't find **** or don't agree with, but don't acknowledge when those roster moves actually pan out.
Can't agree with this more.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would surmise that anyone who does or did not understand how valuable Kuhn is to the offense, does not understand football at all and probably should stick with something like soccer. You know, fake football. :whistling:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would surmise that anyone who does or did not understand how valuable Kuhn is to the offense, does not understand football at all and probably should stick with something like soccer. You know, fake football. :whistling:
Why put down us casual fans like that or any Packers fans at all?
I was really naive about what Khun could do or how he contributed. I thought he was overrated because of his short yards when he had the ball. I was wrong. Coaches know what he is capable of and use him the way they should.
So I'll quit being an NFL fan because I have no idea what the QB yells out at the LOS or the signals he gets from the sidelines.
It was fun around here.
See ya all on the needle point forum.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why put down us casual fans like that or any Packers fans at all?
I was really naive about what Khun could do or how he contributed. I thought he was overrated because of his short yards when he had the ball. I was wrong. Coaches know what he is capable of and use him the way they should.
So I'll quit being an NFL fan because I have no idea what the QB yells out at the LOS or the signals he gets from the sidelines.
It was fun around here.
See ya all on the needle point forum.

Lol, I was honestly trying to make fun of soccer more than anything. I am sorry if my "joke" offended you. That being said I was unaware of the depth of his value to the offense myself, however, I do not understand how anyone could think a player like him is "overrated" or not valuable to the team.

Being a valuable asset to a football team is not always about putting up Adrian Peterson, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, etc... type numbers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would surmise that anyone who does or did not understand how valuable Kuhn is to the offense, does not understand football at all …
Kuhn’s importance on offense has increased because of injury to other players. His snaps increased once Finley was lost for the season and again when Rodgers got injured early against the Bears. So if the Packers were healthy on offense, how valuable would Kuhn be? Look at his playing time when they were relatively healthy: As the article mentioned the most snaps he played in any of the first five games was 17. In the huge game to open the season at San Fran, John Kuhn played 15 snaps on offense. 15. He didn’t play a single snap on offense against the Lions and with the game on the line at Baltimore, Kuhn didn’t play a single snap in the 4 minute offense. Kuhn was “so important” to the offense earlier in the season that TEs lined up in the backfield more often than he did. Beyond Kuhn himself, the position of FB on the Packers is so important they don’t carry a backup FB on the active roster. Or even on the practice squad.

As the article says, Kuhn’s value is mainly due to his knowledge of the offense and ability to “help direct the blocking scheme and take pressure off” QBs inexperienced in McCarthy’s offense. He is not a powerful lead blocker. They no longer need or use him much to carry the ball on short yardage. He doesn’t run over defenders on the rare occasions he has the ball. I’m glad Kuhn’s available to assist inexperienced QBs, but some here are exaggerating his value to the team (perhaps because they don’t understand football at all?): Before critical injuries hit the offense, John Kuhn’s main contribution on the team came on special teams.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anyone paid attention to the last drive today that put us in the playoffs... THAT is why John Kuhn is on the team.

Members online

Latest posts