Kuhn Resigned

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lacy stays healthy, I agree he will be a 3 down back. But that's a Big If. Kuhn's success rate on short yardage situations is outstanding. Had he been available in the Bengals game, I believe we make the 4th and short and win that game. I think this is a very good signing.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all... I specifically said "He's been pathetic in short yardage the past few years." I remember the days when he was an animal and you'd never stop him for less than a yard.

I highly doubt he's been 75% over the past two years....but even if he has...I don't even care...because there are many times he's done nothing to get one inch and we got lucky and got it. This is yet another say nothing stat you come up with and I gotta believe you understand that.

75% (6 of 8) over the last two seasons. But once again I´m not surprised that you make a claim, get proven wrong by FACTS, yet still you won´t admit that you were wrong.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
75% (6 of 8) over the last two seasons. But once again I´m not surprised that you make a claim, get proven wrong by FACTS, yet still you won´t admit that you were wrong.

No FCKING WAY. lmao. Sorry. My God how quickly people forget. 6 of 8 huh? My Lord... I can remember more than two times the last half of this season alone that he was stopped!!!!

Please post links. I have a job so I can't **** around on the internet all day like you googlemaster.... but I did see one matrix from a 2012 blog that showed he was brutal that year on short yardage. I will track down and post.

Please post your source. I suspect you are spinning it as usual.

D

Deleted member 6794

No FCKING WAY. lmao. Sorry. My God how quickly people forget. 6 of 8 huh? My Lord... I can remember more than two times the last half of this season alone that he was stopped!!!!

Please post links. I have a job so I can't **** around on the internet all day like you googlemaster.... Please post your source. I suspect you are spinning it as usual.

It's fun that by now I already know that your reaction to be proven wrong is to attack someone personally and question his credibility without providing any meaningful information on your own. But I'm fine with it.

Here are Kuhn's stats on short yardage carries over the last two seasons (taking all downs into account his success rate is even higher at 80%):

http://tinyurl.com/lxvv2x7

In addition it's amazing how well your memory serves you as you can remember Kuhn being stopped more than two times during the second half of last season although he only carried the ball five times over that span with four of those resulting in first downs (one TD) and the only one not resulting in a first down coming on a carry on 3rd-and-20.

I'm quite sure your next reaction will be accusing me of hacking Pro Football Reference's play index page, but as I said before I 'm fine with your antics.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad he's back. Knows his role and fills it. For those who say the $$ are too high, $1M is probably only a few hundred $K over the league min for his years. So unless you think he's worthless money is no issue. If he does turn out to be not worth keeping I'm sure we won't.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not excited Kuhn was re-signed but if the Packers' cap number (with carryover from last season) is $142.8 and if Kuhn's contract calls for him to be paid $1.03M as rotoworld reports, that's 0.7% of the cap and I believe the entire amount doesn't count against the cap anyway because of his veteran status. So money-wise and cap-wise this is a very minor signing. And it's just for this season.

If the team finally has a relatively healthy season I would expect Kuhn's contribution to be mostly on STs, as it was in the beginning of last season. But if they think Kuhn is important as a lead blocker for Lacy, then we should expect a backup FB to make the roster or PS. That didn't happen last season and makes me wonder about the importance of the position itself. It seems like McCarthy was using TEs in the backfield more last season than previously.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not excited Kuhn was re-signed but if the Packers' cap number (with carryover from last season) is $142.8 and if Kuhn's contract calls for him to be paid $1.03M as rotoworld reports, that's 0.7% of the cap and I believe the entire amount doesn't count against the cap anyway because of his veteran status. So money-wise and cap-wise this is a very minor signing. And it's just for this season.

Kuhn´s contract will fully count against the cap as the additional compensation other than the base salary exceeds $65,000.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Kuhn´s contract will fully count against the cap as the additional compensation other than the base salary exceeds $65,000.
Even so, less than 1% of available cap space.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody who isn't happy with having an extremely good pass protector in the backfield making sure that Arod is standing up on his feet and throwing touchdowns, is an idiot.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Anybody who isn't happy with having an extremely good pass protector in the backfield making sure that Arod is standing up on his feet and throwing touchdowns, is an idiot.
Kuhn used to be Rodgers' protector particularly on passing downs, but when everyone was healthy at the beginning of the season, Kuhn played 15 snaps of 62 on offense against the 49ers. Kuhn ran the ball once so he was available for blocking on 14 of 62 plays, that’s about 23% of the plays. Kuhn got hurt after playing 5 snaps on O and 12 snaps on STs against Washington and he missed the next game because of injury. After the bye week he played 3 snaps on STs and zero on offense against Detroit. Against Baltimore he played 10 snaps on offense and 17 on STs. He ran the ball once and caught it twice so he was available to block on 7 of 68 offensive snaps. That’s about 10%. So the first two games of the season in which Kuhn was healthy (he may have been for the Detroit game but didn't play on offense), he was available to block on about 16% of offensive plays. So McCarthy must be an idiot because Kuhn's playing time didn't increase until injuries hit the Packers.

Kuhn is a valuable STs player - that was where he made his major contribution early last season - and as I posted I have no problem with them paying him $1M this season. He knows the offense very well but he is not as valuable on offense as he was previously. The position he plays is “so important” there wasn’t a backup FB on the roster last season. McCarthy has been transitioning to using TEs in the backfield more and a FB less. Kuhn is not good running the ball and he’s not a powerful lead blocker. He can catch a pass but he can't do much after catching it. IMO his main role on offense is protecting the QB but as I posted, he wasn't used in that role the majority of the time early last season.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Kuhn used to be Rodgers' protector particularly on passing downs, but when everyone was healthy at the beginning of the season, Kuhn played 15 snaps of 62 on offense against the 49ers. Kuhn ran the ball once so he was available for blocking on 14 of 62 plays, that’s about 23% of the plays. Kuhn got hurt after playing 5 snaps on O and 12 snaps on STs against Washington and he missed the next game because of injury. After the bye week he played 3 snaps on STs and zero on offense against Detroit. Against Baltimore he played 10 snaps on offense and 17 on STs. He ran the ball once and caught it twice so he was available to block on 7 of 68 offensive snaps. That’s about 10%. So the first two games of the season in which Kuhn was healthy (he may have been for the Detroit game but didn't play on offense), he was available to block on about 16% of offensive plays. So McCarthy must be an idiot because Kuhn's playing time didn't increase until injuries hit the Packers.

Kuhn is a valuable STs player - that was where he made his major contribution early last season - and as I posted I have no problem with them paying him $1M this season. He knows the offense very well but he is not as valuable on offense as he was previously. The position he plays is “so important” there wasn’t a backup FB on the roster last season. McCarthy has been transitioning to using TEs in the backfield more and a FB less. Kuhn is not good running the ball and he’s not a powerful lead blocker. He can catch a pass but he can't do much after catching it. IMO his main role on offense is protecting the QB but as I posted, he wasn't used in that role the majority of the time early last season.

Actually while he played approximately 100 offensive snaps less in 2013 than during the previous three years, the number of pass blocking snaps was nearly the same and he did a great job, allowing not a single sack or QB hit with only three hurries. In addition he had his best season as a run blocker since joining the Packers.

By taking a look at these stats I was surprised to see Eddie Lacy being ranked the 3rd best RB in pass blocking efficiency last season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
And looking at his stats from the beginning of the season my guess is he wouldn't have seen so many snaps had it not been for the injuries on O.

D

Deleted member 6794

And looking at his stats from the beginning of the season my guess is he wouldn't have seen so many snaps had it not been for the injuries on O.

Not sure with injuries on offense you think had an influence on Kuhn´s snaps.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure with injuries on offense you think had an influence on Kuhn´s snaps.
Heck even I can find low-hanging fruit like that.
Intellectually, Kuhn knows the offense better than anyone except Aaron Rodgers. Previously, Lacy was getting most of the third-down snaps, but when Rodgers broke his left collarbone against the Bears, McCarthy put Kuhn in that spot because he could help direct the blocking scheme and take pressure off backup Seneca Wallace.

When Wallace went down against the Eagles and Tolzien entered the game, Kuhn was constantly by his side in obvious passing downs and could be seen communicating blocking assignments to the offensive linemen and tight ends. He has helped Rodgers do that before, but playing with someone who had only taken six practice snaps going into the game called for Kuhn to take charge.
and later in the same article
Kuhn played just 17% of the snaps in his first five games — he missed two with a hamstring injury — but has seen that number jump to 46% over the last four. Those snaps are in addition to the ones he plays on special teams.

His only gaffe this season occurred on special teams when he touched a blocked punt and allowed the Ravens to recover it.

Against the Eagles, Kuhn was on the field for 54% of the offensive snaps and was constantly going from a three-point stance in front of Lacy to a two-point stance next to Tolzien in the shotgun formation. Unofficially, he played 24 snaps at fullback and 19 as the third-down back.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ense-b99142569z1-232009091.html#ixzz2y3OeZ1nk
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

D

Deleted member 6794

Heck even I can find low-hanging fruit like that.
and later in the same article

Intellectually, Kuhn knows the offense better than anyone except Aaron Rodgers. Previously, Lacy was getting most of the third-down snaps, but when Rodgers broke his left collarbone against the Bears, McCarthy put Kuhn in that spot because he could help direct the blocking scheme and take pressure off backup Seneca Wallace.

When Wallace went down against the Eagles and Tolzien entered the game, Kuhn was constantly by his side in obvious passing downs and could be seen communicating blocking assignments to the offensive linemen and tight ends. He has helped Rodgers do that before, but playing with someone who had only taken six practice snaps going into the game called for Kuhn to take charge.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ense-b99142569z1-232009091.html#ixzz2y3OeZ1nk
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Yeah, you´re absolutely right about that of course. I was thinking more about injuries to other RBs or TEs, didn´t think about the influence Rodgers´ injuries had on his snaps. Was kind of a dumb question.

D

Deleted member 6794

Please post links. I have a job so I can't **** around on the internet all day like you googlemaster.... but I did see one matrix from a 2012 blog that showed he was brutal that year on short yardage. I will track down and post.

Please post your source. I suspect you are spinning it as usual.

Still waiting for you to post the matrix you were talking about.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How easy is it to prove you wrong? He had two fails... on the same drive! lol

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...ngs-miss-Ponder-Rodgers-shines?nclick_check=1

First-and-goal from the 2-yard line should be an automatic touchdown every time, but the Packers couldn’t get it in from there midway through the second quarter. On first down, they spread out the formation with three receivers and a tight end. Out of the shotgun, Rodgers handed off to Kuhn, who got stuffed at the 1-yard line. On second down, tight end Jermichael Finley couldn’t come down with what would have been a tough catch in the end zone against tight coverage by linebacker Chad Greenway. On third down, the Packers went to one of their favorite short-yardage plays, the fullback dive. Out of an I-formation, Kuhn again got stopped short, and the Packers had to settle for a field goal. It was about the only thing that didn’t go right for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

How easy is it to prove you wrong? He had two fails... on the same drive! lol
http://www.packersnews.com/article/...ngs-miss-Ponder-Rodgers-shines?nclick_check=1

First-and-goal from the 2-yard line should be an automatic touchdown every time, but the Packers couldn’t get it in from there midway through the second quarter. On first down, they spread out the formation with three receivers and a tight end. Out of the shotgun, Rodgers handed off to Kuhn, who got stuffed at the 1-yard line. On second down, tight end Jermichael Finley couldn’t come down with what would have been a tough catch in the end zone against tight coverage by linebacker Chad Greenway. On third down, the Packers went to one of their favorite short-yardage plays, the fullback dive. Out of an I-formation, Kuhn again got stopped short, and the Packers had to settle for a field goal. It was about the only thing that didn’t go right for the Packers.

First of all I was only taking a look at regular season stats and of course you didn´t mention anything about the TD Kuhn scored on a 3-yard run in the same game. In addition the game vs. the Vikings you´re talking about was in 2012, not in the second half of 2013 (which would be the time frame during which you suggested you can remember him being stopped at least twice on short yeardage situations).

Members online

Latest posts