Kuhn Resigned

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a waste of cash! What is this running back number 7? Hope 1 of them can play safety or middle linebacker. We did not need to resign this guy. What are we going to do with all these running backs?
Nice post Bubba. I knew most on this forum would love this signing. Kuhn's a good blocker and is a nice man. $1,000,000 plus is what it is. Why not use it elsewhere?

TT loves Kuhn. That's why he has a place on the rooster. He's been overpaid for years. One block on Peppers I guess is worth 7 figures.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief, are you guys serious? It's barely over veteran minimum. It's a million dollars. Just because that sounds like a lot of money to you and I doesn't mean it's a lot in the football world. A $1M contract to our starting fullback is not going to prevent us from signing Cobb, Bulaga, or Nelson. If he got a raise, okay I'm with you, but it's actually more than a 50% paycut from what he was making before.

Also consider that if Kuhn isn't on the 53, somebody else takes his spot and they're going to get paid instead. What do we save by taking a fullback in the 6th round instead and going with uncertainty there? $500K? Is it really worth that kind of savings when you can have some continuity in the backfield and get a good special teams player who already is familiar with Green Bay?

There's nothing not to like about this. It cost us peanuts in football terms and prevents us from having another need. The comment asking how many running backs we are going to keep is silly. We're not paying John Kuhn to carry the ball for us.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief, are you guys serious? It's barely over veteran minimum. It's a million dollars. Just because that sounds like a lot of money to you and I doesn't mean it's a lot in the football world. A $1M contract to our starting fullback is not going to prevent us from signing Cobb, Bulaga, or Nelson. If he got a raise, okay I'm with you, but it's actually more than a 50% paycut from what he was making before.

Also consider that if Kuhn isn't on the 53, somebody else takes his spot and they're going to get paid instead. What do we save by taking a fullback in the 6th round instead and going with uncertainty there? $500K? Is it really worth that kind of savings when you can have some continuity in the backfield and get a good special teams player who already is familiar with Green Bay?

There's nothing not to like about this. It cost us peanuts in football terms and prevents us from having another need. The comment asking how many running backs we are going to keep is silly. We're not paying John Kuhn to carry the ball for us.
Why not use it to pay EDS? Continuity between the QB and center, I would suspect is more important than a marginal FB and Special Teams player.

Before anyone verbally kicks me in the head and lobs in derogatory comments, I agree EDS is easily replaced and John Kuhn is worth over $1,000,000 so that TT and Kuhn lovers can stand up and say Coooooooooooooon! Nice.

D

Dan115

We are all on the same team here buddy. Lets just say we agree to disagree on this signing and hope it works out well.

Not going to comment anymore after this. Lets just say I disagree with the resigning and I hope since it has occurred he will be a valuable part of our team this year.
Promises Promises LOL

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kuhn is more valuable to the ream than just the full back spot..Special teams as well..

But who blocked Peppers so Rodgers could toss to Cobb vs the Bears?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it´s ridiculous for people to criticize this signing. As adambr correctly pointed out it will cost us roughly $600K in cap space as someone would have had to take his roster spot, earning a minimum of $420K. Kuhn´s value to the Packers doesn´t show up a lot on the stat sheet as his primary assignment is to block, which he has done a great job of. If you don´t agree with that you should better watch someone else during a play than the guys getting the ball.

In addition, he is only guy in the NFL who scored at least a TD during the last five postseasons.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not use it to pay EDS? Continuity between the QB and center, I would suspect is more important than a marginal FB and Special Teams player.

Before anyone verbally kicks me in the head and lobs in derogatory comments, I agree EDS is easily replaced and John Kuhn is worth over $1,000,000 so that TT and Kuhn lovers can stand up and say Coooooooooooooon! Nice.

Because $1M is not enough to pay EDS. Given the choice of retaining Kuhn for $1M or EDS for $1M I'm sure they would have chose the latter, but that wasn't an option. This isn't a Kuhn vs EDS problem. One would have cost about 15 times more than the other.

Keeping Kuhn for a very low amount was cost effective for us. Obviously they decided keeping EDS for a much higher amount was not.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I just threw it out for the stats geeks that don´t know the true value of Kuhn to the Packers. They´ll love him now. ;)

I'm happy with the signing. I like to think we need to put people around our HOF QB that know the system well and we can trust to block. Yes, he can block. I however laugh at people that actually think Kuhn can run the ball. He's been pathetic in short yardage the past few years. It's one of the few complaints I have about McCarthy. There is absolutely no excuse with Lacey on your roster to give Kuhn the ball when you need one yard. ...yet... we did just that many times last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I however laugh at people that actually think Kuhn can run the ball. He's been pathetic in short yardage the past few years. It's one of the few complaints I have about McCarthy. There is absolutely no excuse with Lacey on your roster to give Kuhn the ball when you need one yard. ...yet... we did just that many times last year.

Since Kuhn came to the Packers he has a 71.4% success rate when getting the ball on third or fourth down with less than 2 yards to go.

Other Packers RBs: Lacy 75.0%, Starks 66.7%, Grant 63.6%, entire team 68.8%

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because $1M is not enough to pay EDS. Given the choice of retaining Kuhn for $1M or EDS for $1M I'm sure they would have chose the latter, but that wasn't an option. This isn't a Kuhn vs EDS problem. One would have cost about 15 times more than the other.

Keeping Kuhn for a very low amount was cost effective for us. Obviously they decided keeping EDS for a much higher amount was not.
Point is to use $$$ on people who can seriously contribute. Kuhn has been overpaid for years. He has received "sentimental" money which I appreciate.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point is to use $$$ on people who can seriously contribute. Kuhn has been overpaid for years. He has received "sentimental" money which I appreciate.

Maybe everyone complaining about giving Kuhn a measly $1M would be wise to go back and watch the block he made on Peppers that essentially put us into the playoffs. I mean come on people is this really how we are going to spend our Friday, discussing the contract of one John Kuhn, a contract that is so insignificant to the financial status of this team for a guy who is deserving of it?

Meanwhile, we have a fat lazy slob on the defensive line making 4x what Kuhn is making and it seemed like most were on board with that. Let's get some perspective here.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe everyone complaining about giving Kuhn a measly $1M would be wise to go back and watch the block he made on Peppers that essentially put us into the playoffs. I mean come on people is this really how we are going to spend our Friday, discussing the contract of one John Kuhn, a contract that is so insignificant to the financial status of this team for a guy who is deserving of it?
Sorry. I should know TT made another super decision. What should we discuss? Kuhn is today's news. I'll say it again--He's been overpaid for years.

And enough with "the block".

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry. I should know TT made another super decision. What should we discuss? Kuhn is today's news. I'll say it again--He's been overpaid for years.

Do you realize that this wasn´t the only great block Kuhn made during the season but probably the only one you saw because it was mentioned on TV numerous times??? The guy was ranked the 3rd best blocking RB or FB in the entire league last season.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At what point has anyone said this was a "super decision"? All I'm saying is let's call this what it is, a good signing for a guy who deserves it that's it. Not a move that is going to win us a SB, not a move that's going to have long term ramifications, it is what it is. Good god sometimes I think you just like to disagree for the reaction so you can once again point out how much you dislike TT eventhough you claim you don't.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kuhn being overpaid in past years has nothing to do with this contract. The average salary for NFL fullbacks is 1.1M a year. Kuhn is not overpaid at 1M. And TT did not make the decision to give him that based off sentiments and his love for the Kuhn chant, I assure you.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, I would actually agree that he has been overpaid in past years.

And now he's paid fairly. So what does past years have to do with his new contract?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't fathom why anyone would have a issue with the signing?! One million truly is peanuts in the broad scheme of things when you consider all that Kuhn brings to the table. He does what is asked of him whether it be blocking, carrying the rock or special teams. You never hear of any issues with him and you HAVE to have good locker room guys like him. He is a professional and I assure you if you were to compare his overall production per play to others making the same money he more than holds his own. I also can't understand the people saying the Peppers block was only "one play." It was THE play and his awareness allowed AR to make the play and enough can't be said for that. Back of JK and just appreciate all the little things he does for our beloved team...GPG!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Kuhn came to the Packers he has a 71.4% success rate when getting the ball on third or fourth down with less than 2 yards to go.

Other Packers RBs: Lacy 75.0%, Starks 66.7%, Grant 63.6%, entire team 68.8%

First of all... I specifically said "He's been pathetic in short yardage the past few years." I remember the days when he was an animal and you'd never stop him for less than a yard.

I highly doubt he's been 75% over the past two years....but even if he has...I don't even care...because there are many times he's done nothing to get one inch and we got lucky and got it. This is yet another say nothing stat you come up with and I gotta believe you understand that.

Again, I love the guy...good signing... but his legend far exceeds reality. How do you not see this every short yardage situation he gets the ball? There better be a hole for him to fall for a yard...otherwise we're screwed!

Members online

Latest posts