Korey Hall article

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=677460

It might be a little much to ask the rookie fullback to deliver a tone-setter but Korey Hall has been equal to that task and many others during his surprising first season for the Green Bay Packers.

Two games ago, on the first play from scrimmage, Hall led through the line on the left side and deposited linebacking great Brian Urlacher of Chicago on his back side as DeShawn Wynn whizzed by for a 12-yard gain.

A week ago, Mike McCarthy opened with a play-action pass. Before he went out on his route, Hall checked through the middle and hit Anthony Montgomery so hard in the midsection that the Redskins nose tackle dropped to his knees.
"When I get excited like that I really start to focus more," Hall said. "Get my pads low and all that stuff. I'm definitely a real competitive guy. I was able to get in a couple good blocks."

When training camp started, Hall and rookie Ryan Powdrell, a 255-pound free agent from Southern California, looked almost even in a battle for the backup berth behind incumbent Brandon Miree.

But when Powdrell's bid never materialized and Miree was found lacking, the coaches weren't worried then and they're certainly not worried now about starting a rookie at fullback who hadn't played the position since his high school days in Glenns Ferry, Idaho (population 1,611).

Hall quickly gained the trust of the staff by almost never blowing an assignment. The football knack that led Hall to intercept a whopping 11 passes in three seasons as a starting linebacker at Boise State was evident in his seamless transition to fullback.

Later in that opening series against Washington, Hall was stuffed by linebacker Randall Godfrey on a draw play that went nowhere.

"As soon as he came off he immediately knew," said Edgar Bennett, who coaches the running backs. "He said, 'Coach, I was too high.' We speak the same language. This kid is so detailed. The kid is impressive."

Hall's grasp of the game is so keen that Bennett compares their conversations to those he once had with William Henderson.

That's significant, because Henderson started at fullback longer than any Packer in history. Given the job a week before the opener in 1996, Henderson basically held it for 11 years until he was cut in March.

Some scouts divide fullbacks into two categories: thumpers, and those who block more with their eyes.

Henderson, 6 feet 1 inch and 250 pounds, was a strapping physical specimen in his prime who could root out even the most rugged linebackers.

Hall, 6-0 and 234, isn't that type and probably never will be. Maybe, says offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, he might get to 240.

"But we do a lot of things to try and take that initial kind of contact off the fullback," Bennett said. "Korey isn't overly big but, shoot, he's probably tougher than most 250-pound fullbacks."

In fact, Bennett didn't hesitate before saying that the blocking by Hall has been better than what it was by Henderson and Miree last season.

"Korey's not a big, bruising guy but what the kid does well, he's aggressive out of his stance and attacks people," Bennett said. "That's what you love about him. The kid is always taking on guys down the middle, he's always going to accelerate his feet on contact and he finishes his blocks."

Hall has played 40.4% of the snaps on offense, has caught five of the six passes thrown his way and has been responsible for five "bad" runs.

His snap total of 159 is more than any of the five other running backs on the roster. He hasn't missed any time because of injury, but the four running backs all have been nicked.

Bennett was asked if Hall had performed better than any back on the roster.

"Through six games I would say yes," he said. "I would say he's been the most consistent week in and week out. Going into every game, there's not a doubt in my mind he's going to give us everything he has."

The position of fullback isn't included on the all-rookie team, but if it were Hall undoubtedly would be in strong contention. The other rookie starters have been Le'Ron McClain of Baltimore, Reagan Mauia of Miami and Deon Anderson of Dallas.

"I think it's almost a blessing in disguise for me to get drafted by Green Bay as a fullback and end up in the situation that I've been in," Hall said. "Coming out of Boise State, I thought I was a questionable guy making it in the league. I knew I could probably play special teams but as far as being big enough and fast enough to play linebacker, I didn't know."

Hall also has been good but not great as a core player on special teams.

Given Hall's track record of durability and will to succeed, it's entirely possible that he'll be available to the Packers for years to come. The question is, will they be satisfied with him as their long-term starter even though he's undersized?

"I hope that's the case," Bennett said. "That's very possible. I think production is the most important thing. He's physical, he's tough and he finishes, which is what you look for in a fullback."

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from draft day i think we all liked this guy. he just seemed like a packer from day 1.

what is it about those boise state guys... they seem to make good green bay packers.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Korey Hall was great at Boise State, and now he's working out to be a great Packer. He's making some check down catches too. I like him.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
For how great they make him out to be we should average 150 yards rushing a game.

I have to somewhat agree with your cynical comment. Korey Hall is a great story and everything, but I haven't seen much evidence yet of him being a really good fullback. At least he's got a good attitude and should continue to improve.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
For how great they make him out to be we should average 150 yards rushing a game.

My sentiments exactly. I'm not willing to congratulate any part of our running game. Hall has been a good receiver out of the backfield.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeez, get out of negative town, everyone.

Korey is a rookie. And a fullback at that. The poor results in the run game aren't even close to his fault.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

My sentiments exactly. I'm not willing to congratulate any part of our running game. Hall has been a good receiver out of the backfield.

In the article Bennett said that Hall was only responsible for 5 messed up running plays...

But has he been in on 100 running plays 50, 25?

that would make a big difference

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts