Koren Robinson Cut..

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PFTalk Rumor.. Koren to be Cut..

BryanAschenbrenner said:
packersfan4life said:
Hmmm, I wonder where all the people that thought I was nuts about him not being with the team in my statement of the team and draft thread awhile back. Who knows with Florio reporting, but it wouldn't surprise me. In all seriousness I do wish Koren the best. He seems to have got his life straightened out and with alcoholism that is not easy.

:)

You made that argument before Favre retired. Without him on the team, it wasn't too hard to predict that Koren wouldn't be here anymore.
I'm not really sure what Favre had to do with the decision. If anything I think Favre tried to force the ball to him too much late in the season. I was only giving you guys a hard time. Don't worry about it.

Favre would have been pissed had we let go of Koren if he was still on the team. Koren's release would have been a lot less likely if Favre was on the team.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
I really liked Martin this last year, when he got a chance to make a play he usually came up with it.

Like that crucial drop in the NFC championship game. Sorry, had to do it.

Did you miss the word "usually" in my post? I'm fully aware of the NFC Championship game. If our feature players would have made plays in that game then we wouldn't have had to worry about our #5 receiver dropping a pass.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Jordy Nelson was picked, it became apparent that either Koren or Ruvell was probably going to be cut loose. I would've bet on Ruvell being gone, but it doesn't surprise me that it was Koren. It's all about his knee. I don't know why people are suggesting that Thompson lacks confidence in him staying sober. Thompson was willing to give him an entire year to serve out his suspension, and he's been fine ever since he came to Green Bay.

But the knee is a problem that will not go away anytime soon. He did have a couple of good kick returns, but the one time he had a chance to take one all the way he tripped over his own feet. And he was never a great receiver to begin with. I hope he finds a place with another team, maybe as a #3.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Titans should try to get this guy I think. Sad to see him go but we have a lot of depth there. I wish him all the best.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems logical.. other than roster room.. why not hold onto him and make a training camp cut / trade if someone is really needing a WR.. Or maybe it is just a nice move to let Koren explore his own opportunities..

It's fair to Koren and fair to the other WRs. Why waste either's time if they think it's highly unlikely Koren will be staying.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a small chance that Robinson is still in the Green and Gold this year. They are still showing 12 WR on the roster. There are alot of players the team wants to evaluate. The team knows what they get with Robinson, and out of the top on the team he probably has the lowest risk of getting taken by another team.

Could just be a move to make room for the eval process. But like I said, small chance.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him luck. I'm thankful that he was able to move beyond his mistakes and turn his life around. I had high hopes for him as a Packer. I'm disappointed he didn't live up to my expectations, but mostly, i hate being wrong. just kidding. like everyone else said, I think we're good at WR. So long Koren, thanks for all the shoes.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised. I thought maybe the Packers would consider keeping 6 receivers since they use 5 WR set quite often and if they keep 5, one injury makes them have to adjust. However, factoring the additions of Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley really hurt Koren Robinson. Really there are just so many passes to go around.

Rodgers has 7 legit targets IMO if the rookies come together. I really never thought of that until I started typing this post or at least it never sank in like that.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't see GB keeping 6 WR so this makes sense. Nevertheless I am sorry to see KRob go but doing so this early should be good for him.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minimal contributions cost Robinson

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers' relationship with receiver Koren Robinson may have helped him straighten out his personal life, but in the end, his impact on the football field was minimal.

His tenure with the Packers ended Friday, when General Manager Ted Thompson released Robinson after parts of two seasons.

In 15 games including playoffs with the Packers, Robinson caught 32 passes for 344 yards and one touchdown in a reserve role and averaged 23.8 yards on kickoff returns.

His two seasons were broken up by a one-year league suspension for his repeated violations of the NFL's substance-abuse policy. He played in four games in 2006 before he was suspended. He was reinstated on Oct. 18, 2007, and played in the final nine regular-season games plus the two playoff games.

During his one-year suspension, the 28-year old served jail time for his alcohol- and traffic-related violations in Minnesota in 2006 and went through treatment for alcohol addiction.

When Robinson returned to Green Bay, he pronounced himself clean and free of his dependence on alcohol. During his time with the Packers, he befriended quarterback Brett Favre, who was an outspoken supporter of Robinson's.

"This is going to be an ongoing battle for him, but I was very proud of the way he conducted himself here," said Thompson, who was with the Seattle Seahawks when they drafted Robinson with the ninth pick of the first round in 2001. "He was true to his word and all those sorts of things.

"As you know, I think the world of Koren, so quite frankly, this gives him a chance at this early spot in the offseason to hook on at another place. We just felt like it was the right thing to do for the team and for Koren at this time."

Robinson had been bothered by knee tendinitis that limited his practice time over the last two seasons, but Thompson said that wasn't a factor in his decision to release the seven-year veteran.

"He's got some arthritis that he's always dealt with," Thompson said, "but that wasn't an overriding concern of ours."

Nor was Robinson's status as a repeat violator of the substance-abuse policy.

"This past season, he was cleared to play but was still under some sort of probation or something," Thompson said. "But we got word this offseason that he's completely cleared, so there is no more probation."

Robinson's status with the Packers took a hit when the team used its first pick in last month's draft on receiver Jordy Nelson of Kansas State. The Packers drafted another receiver, San Diego State's Brett Swain, in the seventh round.

With a returning cast of receivers that includes veterans Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Ruvell Martin, Robinson probably was a long shot to make the team.

"The reason is pretty much a numbers game," Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, said in an e-mail to the Press-Gazette. "The Packers have gone younger at the receiver position and instead of dragging things out through camp, they decided to let Koren go now in order to give him the best opportunity to land somewhere else."

Robinson was under contract through the 2008 season and was to be paid $730,000. That will be wiped off the Packers' salary cap. He was not given any bonuses when he signed in 2006, so the Packers won't have to absorb any salary-cap accelerations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't see GB keeping 6 WR so this makes sense. Nevertheless I am sorry to see KRob go but doing so this early should be good for him.

Didn't the Packers carry 6 wr's at some point last season ? Mainly the second half when Robinson was reinstated ? Shaun Bodiford anyone ? If anyone remembers or can look it up please correct me if I'm wrong.

'07 wr's

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones
4. Robinson
5. Martin
6. Bodiford ?????????

I'm thinking Ted has no problem with keeping 6 WRs on the active roster.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bodiford wasn inactive alot last year, he did make it on the field in the final two games tho

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm some what torn about Koren getting cut. I liked the guy and liked the fact that he was given a second chance.

Fact is he diden't produce as expected last season and frankly, he was Brett's project. With Favre gone, no more Robinson... Considering the draft...

I certainly hope he does get signed by another team... It would just be too sad otherwise.

Apologies for any grammar and typoes... have to admit I'm kinda drunk...

Good luck Koren...

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I must admit, I'm a little sad to see him go, but he honestly wasn't that effective on the field. I expected more. However, I'm not sure if I expected it immediately. I thought he still had lots of potential and perhaps after a full off-season workout and such, he could be more effective. I guess that the coaching staff didn't think so and I agree that it's better to go with the individuals with the most upside. Bottom line, it's a business.

I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere. Kind of like Robert Fergerson or something. He'll be a nice pickup for some team.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:

Didn't the Packers carry 6 wr's at some point last season ? Mainly the second half when Robinson was reinstated ? Shaun Bodiford anyone ? If anyone remembers or can look it up please correct me if I'm wrong.

'07 wr's

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones
4. Robinson
5. Martin
6. Bodiford ?????????

I'm thinking Ted has no problem with keeping 6 WRs on the active roster.

Yes, they had Bodiford as WR #6 for part of the year, but that's because Bodiford was one of those young players who is at the fringes of any team's roster. He was sort of a developmental prospect. It would not be worth it to keep a veteran like Koren Robinson, with his higher salary, for such a marginal role on the team. It probably wouldn't be worth keeping Ruvell Martin for that role either. If they have a sixth receiver this year, it will be another young guy.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Ted Thompson has some insider info on the X market.

As receiver Koren Robinson hits the open market after a stint with the Packers, which followed a one-year suspension, he’ll now have something else to explain to any teams that might be interested in him.

Robinson’s brother, Tariq, has been arrested for trafficking in ecstasy. (Not the emotion, the drug.) The potential problem as it relates to Koren is that Tariq lives with Koren.

The good news is that investigators say there’s no evidence that Koren was involved. Still, that extra question mark could be enough to scare some teams away.

We’ve previously reported that the Chiefs and Raiders have shown mild interest in Robinson, a top-ten draft pick in 2001.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Ted Thompson has some insider info on the X market.

As receiver Koren Robinson hits the open market after a stint with the Packers, which followed a one-year suspension, he’ll now have something else to explain to any teams that might be interested in him.

Robinson’s brother, Tariq, has been arrested for trafficking in ecstasy. (Not the emotion, the drug.) The potential problem as it relates to Koren is that Tariq lives with Koren.

The good news is that investigators say there’s no evidence that Koren was involved. Still, that extra question mark could be enough to scare some teams away.

We’ve previously reported that the Chiefs and Raiders have shown mild interest in Robinson, a top-ten draft pick in 2001.

Well thank god they clarified that. I didn't understand the problem at first.

And holy ****, an ecstacy dealer lives with Koren? Good call cutting him before something crazy happened. Damn it, Koren. ******** you. Get a hold of your life. How many chances can you get before you act like a responsible adult. At least get the guy his own apartment or something. Jesus.

Members online

Latest posts