Koren ROBINSON BACK IN REHAB

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Vikings receiver Koren Robinson is back in alcohol rehab, according to his agent, Alvin Keels. Keels tells Profootballtalk.com that Robinson re-entered treatment in late June. Robinson is scheduled to be married on July 22.

Keels stressed that Robinson's decision to resume treatment was voluntary and not the result of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy or specific recurrence of the problems that plagued his career with the Seattle Seahawks. Keels said that Robinson can leave the program at any time.

Keels' comments were made in response to information we received from a league source indicating that Robinson was indeed back in rehab. (Operating uncharacteristically like "real" journalists, we called Keels for confirmation -- and got it.)

In 2005, Robinson spent 30 days in a South Carolina treatment center after being cut by the Seahawks. He eventually signed with the Vikings, and made the Pro Bowl as a kick returner. The Vikings signed him to a three-year deal during the offseason, but we've heard that the deal was structured to protect the team against any bad behavior.

Regarding alcohol, the NFL may discipline players under the substance abuse policy only after a conviction or admitted violation of the law relating to the use of alcohol. The policy permits imposition of a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline. Testing for alcohol is not conducted, most likely due to the fact that alcohol metabolizes very quickly. Moreover, there is no commonly used urine test for the presence of alcohol.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for him if he thought he might slip and went back on his own.

Regardless if he stays with the Vikes or not, I hope he recovers.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I hope so too. Alcoholism runs rampant in my German/Irish family like water down niagra falls. It's not fun.

V

Vikeman

Packer fans jumping to conclusions and once again WRONG! All because he is a Viking.

Star Tribune
Robinson's rehab visit voluntary

Vikings receiver Koren Robinson said Friday that he's not in a South Carolina rehab facility but rather is taking classes in an effort to help him maintain his sobriety.
"I'm not in rehab, it's nothing like that," Robinson said. "I'm taking prevention classes so I won't have to go back to rehab or won't have a situation. I just wanted to get away, make sure I'm bulletproof. So I'm just trying to be proactive. When did it become not cool to be proactive?"

Profootballtalk.com initially reported Thursday that Robinson had re-entered an alcohol rehab facility. Alvin Keels, Robinson's agent, confirmed that report but made it clear that his client had not had any type of relapse.

Robinson, who is due to be married July 22, said he will probably go to a couple more classes before his wedding. He attended a class this week.

"I had a great year last year, and I'm looking to have a better year this year," Robinson said. "I know how my mindset was when I came into the season last year and just am trying to get that mindset for this year. I'm just trying to make sure this aspect of my life is covered all the way around the board. Nothing more, nothing less."

Robinson, 26, signed with the Vikings as a free agent last September after being released by the Seattle in June following some well-documented alcohol problems he had during his four seasons with the Seahawks. He was let go by Seattle following an arrest in May 2005 for drunken driving.

Robinson went through a treatment program for alcohol last summer before joining the Vikings. He had no problems on or off the field with the Vikings and was rewarded with a three-year contract that includes $5.5 million in guaranteed bonuses in March.

Robinson, who will enter training camp as the Vikings' No. 1 receiver, pointed out that being a recovering alcoholic is an ongoing process.

"Basically just knowing it's an every day thing," he said. "A class here, a class there. I'm just doing this and that's all. I wanted to do it on my schedule, but somebody got hold of [this information]. It's not like I goofed up or anything like that. That's not the case. I'm just trying to be proactive. Plain and simple, end of discussion."

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
Packer fans jumping to conclusions and once again WRONG! All because he is a Viking.

I'm a Packer fan, I wasn't wrong. I didn't say anything negative or say he slipped up. From the reports I've read it sounds like he's just going back to keep himself on track which is very commendable.

Keep your generalization to yourself, GOD all you Vikings fans are stupid! hehe :p

V

Vikeman

really? just picked up a negative vibe by the way you capitalized ROBINSON BACK IN REHAB!...like you were trying to make people aware of something that just isn't true. The next Packer fan then calls the man an idiot? All of this was unsolicited. Generalization was very much called for sir.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
really? just picked up a negative vibe by the way you capitalized ROBINSON BACK IN REHAB!...like you were trying to make people aware of something that just isn't true. The next Packer fan then calls the man an idiot? All of this was unsolicited. Generalization was very much called for sir.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm <-- all titles there are CAPS locked :) (all i did was at "Koren" so people knew who it was about)

I'm a copy/paste *****!! heh

So, sir. Generalization was not called for and not appreciated. Alcoholism is something I don't much joke about it when someone is having serious issues with it. Which Koren did have some serious issues with alcohol and I'm glad I heard his interview with Dan Patrick because it made me a fan of his.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here here, zero. (good boy)
alcoholism/addiction of any kind is NOTHING to joke about or knock someone down about. it's a disease that people become completely powerless over. rehab has been a life saver to thousands of people - including someone very close to me. i hope he hangs in there.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings receiver Koren Robinson knows he'll always be under scrutiny while living life as a recovering alcoholic. These last few days, however, have been a little over the top.

Reports surfaced late Thursday night that Robinson had voluntarily checked himself into a rehab facility to seek further treatment. The term "rehab facility" carries with it a certain stigma that led some to believe he could have suffered a relapse.

Nothing could be further from the truth, Robinson said Friday afternoon.

"People hear rehab and they say, 'Oh no, he has problems,"' Robinson told The Associated Press in a phone interview from South Carolina. "I'm not in rehab. I'm still doing good. I'm still not drinking. I'm still working out. I'm still Koren, the cheerful, happy guy you all saw last year."

Robinson said he did not check himself into a rehab facility and did not have a relapse. Rather, he said, he is merely attending some relapse prevention classes in preparation for the start of the grueling NFL season, which affords the Pro Bowl kick returner little time to work on maintaining his recovery.

It's standard operating procedure for Robinson, who is doing everything he can to make sure that the alcohol problems that plagued him in the past do not return.

Robinson spent 28 days in an alcohol treatment facility last year after being cut by the Seattle Seahawks for several reasons, many of which Robinson attributed to alcohol abuse. He was in the facility during training camps last season and signed with the Vikings shortly after checking out.

The 26-year-old enjoyed a storybook season with the Vikings last year, emerging as the team's most dangerous receiver and making his first trip to Honolulu as a special teamer. He was a pillar in the locker room, being voted by his teammates to receive the team's Ed Block Courage award as well as receiving the Korey Stringer Good Guy Award for his cooperation with the local media.

The Vikings rewarded him with a new three-year contract in March that includes $5.5 million in guaranteed money.

"I just want to make sure I'm good for the season before I put myself back in that lifestyle," Robinson said. "In the NFL, when you lose, you feel real down and when you win, there's a lot of celebrating. I'm just making sure I'm bulletproof and being proactive."

Robinson said the relapse prevention classes help him "tune up" his recovery efforts and "reiterate stuff so that it's fresh in my mind. I just use that so I won't put myself in predicaments that would be bad situations."

During the season, "you don't really have that to-yourself-time," Robinson said. "You have a lot going on where you can't put that stuff in your personal life on the front burner. You can't deal with it."

That's why he's seeking that little extra help now.

The young receiver reflected on his struggles often during last year's renaissance, acknowledging that they will always be with him.

"It just made me a totally different person," Robinson said. "I like how everything turned out. I'm happy. My family's good. I want that. I need that. I have to do what I can do to keep that, whether it's relapse prevention classes, talking to family, talking to friends. Whatever."

But life is good for him now. He's due to be married July 22 and will arrive at Vikings' training camp in Mankato at the end of the month as the team's No. 1 receiver.

Both Robinson and his agent, Alvin Keels, expressed frustration that his approach was made public. They see it as just another step toward maintaining his sobriety.

"Certain words were misconstrued," Robinson said. "I just didn't want anybody to see those reports and get it twisted that I screwed up. ... Tell everyone I'm still good. Everything is all right. I'm looking forward to the season, having a great year and bringing a Super Bowl to Minnesota."

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DaBearsrule4ever said:
I bet Holmgren is glad he got rid od this idiot.

He's made his mistakes and he's getting help for it. I hardly call him an idiot for realizing he made a mistake and taking proper steps to remedy it and make his life better.

Everyone makes mistakes, everyone.

DaBearsrule4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DaBearsrule4ever said:
I bet Holmgren is glad he got rid od this idiot.

He's made his mistakes and he's getting help for it. I hardly call him an idiot for realizing he made a mistake and taking proper steps to remedy it and make his life better.

Everyone makes mistakes, everyone.

Yeah, true. :agree:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts