King is the man....

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that being patient with Davante Adams is totally different than being patient with Kevin King. Some guys that play offense can get away with not working as hard just by having god given talent and a big play mentality. You have to want to play defense. It takes a different motor. It's a kill or be killed mentality. Either King has terrible luck so far or he's soft. That's all I'm saying. Quite frankly, as bad as the secondary has been for awhile now, either step up or get out. I will be more than happy to say I'm wrong if that time comes.
So you're telling me that King doesn't want to be out there playing defense and is soft because he gets injured? Dude stop! You act like he wants to get injured! So let me get this straight King gets injured, and he's soft and he doesn't have it in him to be out of the field? Gimme a break! The hypocrisy with some of you is hilarious.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packer defense has a lot to prove this year. The last thing they need is a guy that is always injured. The words fragile and football go together like oil and water. I'll be happy to say it. Kevin King is a bust. It happens, move on.

It's definitely too early to move on from King but he finally needs to stay healthy.

Depends on how you define bust. A bust is someone who just can't play despite very high expectations. Like Vince Young or something and even he had some success in the NFL. I think of guys like Courtney Brown and Tim Couch. I have a tough time labeling someone who's just injured as a bust. To me, they're injured. i don't treat all less than desired production levels the same.

I fully agree with Pokerbrat that it doesn't matter whatever you want to call it, King not being able to have an impact because he can't stay healthy is a loss for the Packers and if that doesn't change over the next two years he will be remembered as a huge disappointment.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that King has been a success. Clearly it's been disappointing. that's the nature of the NFL and projecting talent and IMO he does have plenty of talent to justify his 2nd round pick. he just can't stay healthy and that has me plenty concerned. But I don't agree with the terminology used to describe him. But i guess we do live in a time where most mundane daily things are referred to as "epic" I should just get used to it. Even in the short time i've seen King play, it's pretty clearly he's not "soft" in his attitude or his play. I saw him put down Zeke Elliot, he's not soft upstairs. If he was, I might be more agreeable to a "bust" label. Having your body not hold up or a mind that can't are completely different.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that King has been a success. Clearly it's been disappointing. that's the nature of the NFL and projecting talent and IMO he does have plenty of talent to justify his 2nd round pick. he just can't stay healthy and that has me plenty concerned. But I don't agree with the terminology used to describe him. But i guess we do live in a time where most mundane daily things are referred to as "epic" I should just get used to it. Even in the short time i've seen King play, it's pretty clearly he's not "soft" in his attitude or his play. I saw him put down Zeke Elliot, he's not soft upstairs. If he was, I might be more agreeable to a "bust" label. Having your body not hold up or a mind that can't are completely different.

Unfortunately that's more than enough for people to consider him a bust, especially after two years. We live in a time where if you don't immediately pop you're a bust apparently. It's silly if you ask me but hey what can you do? If he played like crap, that's one thing, but injuries happen, I'm sure the dude didn't want to go down. I just know a lot of people are going to be looking stupid should King emerge this year. I'm definitely pulling for him to ball out this year just to stick it to some of the guys here. Like I said some of these guys were the same with Devante. Different circumstances perhaps but a handful were ready to give up on him because he was popping right away.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This whole thing basically comes down to how you define "bust". Some consider a player who doesn't help the team, for whatever reason, to be a bust. Some just consider unskilled players to be busts.

I think we can all just agree that, so far, the Kevin King pick has not been a pick that has helped the team.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing basically comes down to how you define "bust". Some consider a player who doesn't help the team, for whatever reason, to be a bust. Some just consider unskilled players to be busts.

I think we can all just agree that, so far, the Kevin King pick has not been a pick that has helped the team.

To this point, yes, King has not significantly helped the Packers.

Whether or not he is become a "bust" is dependent on what he does from this moment forward. Same could be said for J'Mon Moore, and likely some others.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're telling me that King doesn't want to be out there playing defense and is soft because he gets injured? Dude stop! You act like he wants to get injured! So let me get this straight King gets injured, and he's soft and he doesn't have it in him to be out of the field? Gimme a break! The hypocrisy with some of you is hilarious.
It's really not necessary for you to tell me what I am saying. I am quite capable of finishing complete sentences, knowing the definition of words, hypocrisy seems to be a tough one for you and forming thoughts that either you accept or don't. What you shouldn't do is preach, degrade or be a regular jerk because someone doesn't agree with you. Dude stop!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really not necessary for you to tell me what I am saying. I am quite capable of finishing complete sentences, knowing the definition of words, hypocrisy seems to be a tough one for you and forming thoughts that either you accept or don't. What you shouldn't do is preach, degrade or be a regular jerk because someone doesn't agree with you. Dude stop!
I repeated that in the form of a question, because I was trying to follow your logic, which to me made no sense. Apologies if your feelings got hurt, but you're the one that said it not me. And as the hypocrisy comment, notice I said "some" which indicates more than one. If you didn't see yourself as hypocritical then don't take offense to what I said as it doesn't apply to you. I find strange and hilarious you're calling me a jerk and yet here you are calling me names for the exact same reason you were calling me out on with my opinion not agreeing with yours. Let alone the fact I didn't even call you names. How about you practice what you preach?

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am embarrassed that I stooped to a sophomoric level. I apologize for calling you a jerk. I am even more embarrassed that I actually get worked up about trivial banter. I stand by what I said about King.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am embarrassed that I stooped to a sophomoric level. I apologize for calling you a jerk. I am even more embarrassed that I actually get worked up about trivial banter. I stand by what I said about King.
No sweat dude. I respect your opinion, but again I still think it's too early to call him a bust. I think he can still contribute to the team, but he's just had bad luck with injuries.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In order to label a player a "bust" you need to look at production vs. Investment. If a 6th round pick flames out, no big deal, he's not really a bust. When a high draft pick doesn't contribute, its a huge bust. There are 22 starters and throw in kickers, nickel backs and the 3rd wr and most GM's have to replace 3-5 starters every year if not more. When a high draft pick like King doesn't contribute, it makes it very difficult to maintain or upgrade the talent level because there are very limited opportunities to improve the roster. For that reason and others I maintain that King is a bust.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more of unrealistic expectations by fans of players just because of when they were selected that people feel the need to use the word bust. King is talented enough for when he was selected. He plays well enough to justify his draft slot. But he hasn't been able to be on the field enough because of injuries.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No actually he is what he is. Up to this point he is a bust. It is still possible for that to change, but until it does, he is what he is.

He's not a bust because when's he's been on the field he's been a good player. Now I'm sure most would have rather TT went with the sure thing in Tj watt instead of the potential of king and an extra 4th rounder. Which by the way was a bust, Vince biegel.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a bust because when's he's been on the field he's been a good player. Now I'm sure most would have rather TT went with the sure thing in Tj watt instead of the potential of king and an extra 4th rounder. Which by the way was a bust, Vince biegel.
I feel the same. Also careful! People could put you on ignore if your opinions don't go with theirs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like you to be right. However he was a high second round pick and has not been on the field for almost half of the games that were played in the two years he has been here. A player drafted that high needs to be a difference maker. He hasn’t been. To me that is a bust so far. The fact that he is hurt again right now isn’t helping that case. I don’t care whether or not it is his fault... from the perspective of the team... so far that pick is a bust.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, it seems that a lot of fans focus on semantics when talking about King. It doesn't matter to me as there shouldn't be any doubt that so far he hasn't performed up to expectations after being selected with the first pick in the second round two years ago and won't be able to going forward if he can't stay healthy. That's a loss for the Packers no matter how you want to call it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's been said multiple times, it's all how you want to define it. anyway, I was never high on King when he was drafted anyway, but did think DB and then getting Beigel in the 4th was a good move. Well I like it a lot less these days overall, but after seeing his short career, he has the talent and by all accounts the mental fortitude to justify a late 1st or early 2nd round draft slot. Now if his body could just hold up.

D

Deleted member 6794

it's been said multiple times, it's all how you want to define it.

I don't think there's any other way than to be disappointed with King's first two season with the Packers considering he was the 33rd pick and the team's first selection in the 2017 draft

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and nobody has said they're thrilled with it. you could find at least one quote from me, probably a couple in this thread alone where I've said it IS absolutely disappointing and relatively unproductive so far. Who's satisfied, let alone happy about a draft pick that can't stay on the field because of health?

Members online

Latest posts